Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #10,216 of 42,298
Great news on Pure Music, those are big upgrades to an already great program. I'm really glad I own it, as I would expect there will be yet another price increase soon if not to coincide. Anybody that hasn't tried it (that has a Mac) should consider downloading the demo and trying it now while it's still $129.

Mike, a Mac Mini is a great value and would be a lot more fun and versatile than the servers that you're messing with. Just go for the bluetooth keyboard/mouse options and plug it into your TV's hdmi port 
smile.gif

May 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #10,218 of 42,298

Quote:
Sounds like a Mac is a really nice music server.  Maybe you can bring it when you come by, I'd love to hear it.  I am so struggling with streaming media servers.  I am looking at the new Bryston.

Mac mini ~

I can certainly hold the mini in one hand, while you place my refreshment into the other.   
beerchug.gif
 The Mac mini (other Macs, too!) makes for a great music server. As compact as things are under the hood, you'll wanna shove a solid-state drive down the little one's throat, followed by more RAM (8gb max, 4 min, but cheaper to get 8 while you're "in there!") for memory play. These moves returned big dividends for me.

Currently racing to get free for your call @ 1600 hours!

May 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #10,219 of 42,298

Quote:
Great news on Pure Music, those are big upgrades to an already great program. I'm really glad I own it, as I would expect there will be yet another price increase soon if not to coincide. Anybody that hasn't tried it (that has a Mac) should consider downloading the demo and trying it now while it's still $129.

Mike, a Mac Mini is a great value and would be a lot more fun and versatile than the servers that you're messing with. Just go for the bluetooth keyboard/mouse options and plug it into your TV's hdmi port 
smile.gif

He's got a hot-rodded laptop; likely the ipad and iphone in the mix as well. Couple of all of those with screen-sharing & remote capabilities, and he could be dangerous!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #10,220 of 42,298

Quote:
Sounds like a Mac is a really nice music server.  Maybe you can bring it when you come by, I'd love to hear it.  I am so struggling with streaming media servers.  I am looking at the new Bryston.

Mike, didn't you get a Logitech Touch?  Did you not like it?

May 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #10,221 of 42,298

Quote:

smile.gif

x2 

Pure Music with a Mac is one of the best sounding (of course DAC dependent) and easiest to use server options out there. 

I don't even have my computer connected to a monitor, I do all controlling from an iPad. 

I had one of my best and most immersive listening sessions yesterday afternoon with the K1000's, I just didn't ever want it to end. This may have been the first time I have really used them since installing Pure Music and the difference was not subtle. 

The new upgrades are indeed huge, can't wait!

May 23, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #10,222 of 42,298

Quote:

Mike, didn't you get a Logitech Touch?  Did you not like it?

I did, and I think it's a good piece of gear, the problem was that it was just too hot at the high end for me.  Same with the QNAP via my PWD/Bridge.  Anything that streams over the network is just too hot for me. 

I still have the Touch downstairs and with speakers it sounds great.  That was about three weeks ago and it has been playing continuously since then.  Maybe it's a good time for me to bring it upstairs and try it again.  Maybe it got broken in.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know if there is a larger problem here, but I have not been able to listen to anything streamed realtime via a computer or network.  They only thing that sounds really good to me is my iPod via the Wadia i170.  Everything else sounds harsh on the top end.  The PWD is actually back in Boulder at PS Audio and they are looking at it.

Thanks for asking.

May 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #10,223 of 42,298
I am not sure why the method of music delivery would affect the sound. Said another way, if your DAC was fed via a touch or a transport of similar cost I would expect the sound to be very similar. Or am I misunderstanding what you said ?

May 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10,224 of 42,298

Quote:
     Quote:

x2 

Pure Music with a Mac is one of the best sounding (of course DAC dependent) and easiest to use server options out there. 

I don't even have my computer connected to a monitor, I do all controlling from an iPad. 

I had one of my best and most immersive listening sessions yesterday afternoon with the K1000's, I just didn't ever want it to end. This may have been the first time I have really used them since installing Pure Music and the difference was not subtle. 

The new upgrades are indeed huge, can't wait!

I have Pure Music & Audirvana in the rotation...

May 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #10,225 of 42,298
Very interesting, I was not familiar with this program; Now I can see why 8GB of RAM is not a bad idea for their implementation of memory play or even just in general.

I find that this is the better sounding playback method with Pure Music as of course it should be.

How is the Apple Remote interface?

Please keep us posted with your comparisons and impressions.

Cheers.

May 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #10,226 of 42,298

I'd love to do this. I live in Atherton. The only problem is that, unless the mini-meet is held in July, I'll just be a moocher. I'm waiting anxiously for my WES....delayed by 3 weeks for a new revision/parts upgrade that the company is rolling out to in-progress orders.

Quote:
Since replying to mikemalter earlier today, I've actually been entertaining two thoughts, mini-meet related. My first thought may bring howls and laughter flat-out! Which will eventually subside once y'all realize "He's serious!" I'm seriously thinking about hosting a mini-meet inside a (wait for it)... library. We wouldn't have to contend with a whole lot of unwanted external or unpleasant ambient noises, now would we?!  

biggrin.gif

My pick would be the Dublin Public Library (Alameda Co.). It's modern, accessible and great Community rooms. Just a thought! Second choice would be to host a mini-meet at CAL (UC Berkeley). This locale has a lot going for it as well, food & drink just down the street among them...

Reaction! I'd like to get your thoughts on this, as well as hear from our other Woo mates that sit Bay side. 

May 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #10,227 of 42,298

Quote:
Very interesting, I was not familiar with this program; Now I can see why 8GB of RAM is not a bad idea for their implementation of memory play or even just in general.

I find that this is the better sounding playback method with Pure Music as of course it should be.

Cheers.

Clean and simple I suppose. Personally, sitting at an 'L-configured' desk with everything at my fingertips (PC; Mac; Audio rack), I've no need for a remote. In a single session though, I used both my iPhone & iTouch just to make sure I could, if I so desired. What interface for your iPad are you using?

May 24, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #10,228 of 42,298

Quote:
I'd love to do this. I live in Atherton. The only problem is that, unless the mini-meet is held in July, I'll just be a moocher. I'm waiting anxiously for my WES....delayed by 3 weeks for a new revision/parts upgrade that the company is rolling out to in-progress orders.

W-E-S-? Oh, then we'd best do two things: Wait for you. And have Jack 'Overnight' that bad boy! 'Cause each day in transit is a day of potential burn-in.  
biggrin.gif
  Whatever we do, we'll be sure to include you. Besides, this is the 'Woo Audio Owner Unite' thread - we should occasionally meet with each other sans gear (over lunch/tea/cafe or stronger) if only to check out our hearing... "What?!"  
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #10,229 of 42,298

Cheers.

I'm a convert to the Apple remote from my iPad. When I got it I figured I'd never use it, but now I use it all the time to control playback from my Apple TV to speakers, an express to one listening set up, and to control my Mac. With AirTunes and the remote there are so many great streaming options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back