Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 23, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #10,201 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
You beat me to the punch! I was just fixin' to comment on your photograph. Underway, my midnight to 0300 hours listening session. First up, "Rise Remixes" by Sitar player Anoushka Shankar. Daughter of renowned Indian Sitar player Ravi Shankar, who also fathered Norah Jones (half-sisters). Her remixes are sounding good tonight!

Looking at your photograph, if the visual vertical display of headphones are any indication of preference, my Denon's are in trouble. And if low-man on the pole isn't enough, they're being subjected to the most heat... and that's cold!  
eek.gif
  Although your P/S has more headroom it generates less heat. 

Looking forward (Summer?), "Decoupling" your gear may yield further gains in sonics. As it stands, you've five items that are all connected - four components and the lamp itself. Which, by the way, may be producing harmful micro-vibrations on its own. But anyone of the four components could be interfering with one or the remaining three components. Isolation and/or placement could take your Woo up a notch. 

How you're addressing the Peas & Carrots (keeping digital & analogue sources separate when/where plugged-in) makes for another post, another time, another place... cheers!

beerchug.gif

I knew I should have decorated with audio gear as first priority!
wink.gif

I'm fighting it, but I'm already thinking about a makeover to better accommodate my gear... Maybe I can get a Head-Fi version one of those HGTV interventions?

As for the Denon's, thet are in comfortable reach...
smily_headphones1.gif

AH-D7000 ~

O.k, that comforts me!

May 23, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #10,202 of 42,298

I have been thinking a lot lately about a better furniture solution for my audio gear, right now I'm using my office at work, but it's really not the best place, and I would like to get away from the computer screen as much as I can. The music coming out from my woo really doesn't match up with the view surrounding it. 
Quote:
Quote:
You beat me to the punch! I was just fixin' to comment on your photograph. Underway, my midnight to 0300 hours listening session. First up, "Rise Remixes" by Sitar player Anoushka Shankar. Daughter of renowned Indian Sitar player Ravi Shankar, who also fathered Norah Jones (half-sisters). Her remixes are sounding good tonight!

Looking at your photograph, if the visual vertical display of headphones are any indication of preference, my Denon's are in trouble. And if low-man on the pole isn't enough, they're being subjected to the most heat... and that's cold!  
eek.gif
  Although your P/S has more headroom it generates less heat. 

Looking forward (Summer?), "Decoupling" your gear may yield further gains in sonics. As it stands, you've five items that are all connected - four components and the lamp itself. Which, by the way, may be producing harmful micro-vibrations on its own. But anyone of the four components could be interfering with one or the remaining three components. Isolation and/or placement could take your Woo up a notch. 

How you're addressing the Peas & Carrots (keeping digital & analogue sources separate when/where plugged-in) makes for another post, another time, another place... cheers!

beerchug.gif

I knew I should have decorated with audio gear as first priority!
wink.gif

I'm fighting it, but I'm already thinking about a makeover to better accommodate my gear... Maybe I can get a Head-Fi version one of those HGTV interventions?

As for the Denon's, thet are in comfortable reach...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #10,203 of 42,298

Quote:

I have been thinking a lot lately about a better furniture solution for my audio gear, right now I'm using my office at work, but it's really not the best place, and I would like to get away from the computer screen as much as I can. The music coming out from my woo really doesn't match up with the view surrounding it. 

Nice shot, I even see Fidelia in the background! Does this mean the Woo will be coming home with you soon? Or you seek a solution for the office?

May 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #10,204 of 42,298

It will remain in my office, (It's where I play my drums, and practice/rehearse) but I would like a better solution. Also I want to keep the woo away from the computer as I noticed some interference from the internet, or the computer screen. I hear small crackling sounds from the headphones if I surf the internet. 
Quote:
Nice shot, I even see Fidelia in the background! Does this mean the Woo will be coming home with you soon? Or you seek a solution for the office?

May 23, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #10,205 of 42,298

Quote:
It will remain in my office, (It's where I play my drums, and practice/rehearse) but I would like a better solution. Also I want to keep the woo away from the computer as I noticed some interference from the internet, or the computer screen. I hear small crackling sounds from the headphones if I surf the internet. 

Great to have musicians among us. Curiously, are you using wi-fi or ethernet connection for your Mac? If you're wireless sitting that close to the Mac, 'hard-wiring the Mac' will set your Woo free!

May 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #10,206 of 42,298

Quote:
No time to get things looking good... I'm in the middle of swapping out computers next to the rig and that's got cables in an nightmare for now, but you can get the idea.  The umbilical is identical to stock, just, well longer.  Let me know if you were really wanting a few of the rear and I can see what I can capture.

If it's not clear from the poor picture, the stand is actually a lamp.

Very nice bedside setup. I need a bedside setup like that. Where did you get that lamp?

May 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #10,208 of 42,298
Yes, I was using wireless, I thought it had to do with the monitor somehow. Ok I'll switch to wire, thank you :)

May 23, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #10,210 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes, I was using wireless, I thought it had to do with the monitor somehow. Ok I'll switch to wire, thank you :)

Also, during listening sessions turn off Bluetooth on the Mac, keep your 'mobile' on the right side of your desk (anywhere with some distance between your Woo) and you'll be straight. FYI - to the delight of 'Pure Music' users, next week's release (version 1.8) is bringing major changes.

May 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #10,211 of 42,298

Quote:
FYI - to the delight of 'Pure Music' users, next week's release (version 1.8) is bringing major changes.

Woohoo! Any hints?

May 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #10,212 of 42,298

Quote:

Woohoo! Any hints?

Pure Music v1.8 (the following re-posted from Computer Audiophile)

The new Pure Music 1.8, scheduled to be released on June 1, 2011, is a major update including two dozen new features and usability enhancements.

Three of the new features in Pure Music 1.8 are major-league heavy hitters.

The first is the unprecedented ability (for a Mac OS audio file player) to directly play DSD format (dsf / dff) audio files, at a user designated PCM sample rate. DSD to PCM conversion is performed in real-time during playback.

A second major new feature, called “Playthrough,” permits playing other computer audio sources (Internet radio, movies, etc.) through Pure Music, with full access to Pure Music’s dithered volume control, 64 bit crossover, audio EQ plug-ins, NetSend streaming, metering, etc.

Third, Pure Music 1.8 now includes nonmixable integer stream format support, bypassing all floating point operations on certain DACs. Also included are overall usability improvements, including correcting all known issues involving Gapless playback, including those involving FLAC files.

The Pure Music 1.8 update will be free for all users.

Some other new features include:
- Menu options to disable all DSP options, or disable DSP options except upsampling, mono and invert
- One-click feature to assist in configuring multiway crossover filters
- Option to set the range of the signal level meter (100, 60, 30 dB)
- File format or sample rate conversion and adding FLAC tracks now operate on contents of folders
- gaplessbreak and monophonic tag options in iTunes to denote preferred gapless album track breaks under low memory conditions or to automatically play tagged tracks in mono
- 33% more efficient memory usage with gapless albums
- Now observes Repeat One in iTunes for selected track in any playlist
- Improved operation of NetSend connect on launch and disconnect options

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #10,213 of 42,298

Quote:

Woohoo! Any hints?

Currently my DAC does not support Interger Mode playback. But my new MHDT USBridge may. I know Music Fidelity's V-Link and the Halide bridge is supported. If I discover that the MHDT bridge supports Interger Mode, my WA6SE is gonna be Fat & Happy! 
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #10,214 of 42,298

Quote:
Pure Music v1.8 (the following re-posted from Computer Audiophile)

The new Pure Music 1.8, scheduled to be released on June 1, 2011, is a major update including two dozen new features and usability enhancements.

Three of the new features in Pure Music 1.8 are major-league heavy hitters.

The first is the unprecedented ability (for a Mac OS audio file player) to directly play DSD format (dsf / dff) audio files, at a user designated PCM sample rate. DSD to PCM conversion is performed in real-time during playback.

A second major new feature, called “Playthrough,” permits playing other computer audio sources (Internet radio, movies, etc.) through Pure Music, with full access to Pure Music’s dithered volume control, 64 bit crossover, audio EQ plug-ins, NetSend streaming, metering, etc.

Third, Pure Music 1.8 now includes nonmixable integer stream format support, bypassing all floating point operations on certain DACs. Also included are overall usability improvements, including correcting all known issues involving Gapless playback, including those involving FLAC files.

The Pure Music 1.8 update will be free for all users.

Some other new features include:
- Menu options to disable all DSP options, or disable DSP options except upsampling, mono and invert
- One-click feature to assist in configuring multiway crossover filters
- Option to set the range of the signal level meter (100, 60, 30 dB)
- File format or sample rate conversion and adding FLAC tracks now operate on contents of folders
- gaplessbreak and monophonic tag options in iTunes to denote preferred gapless album track breaks under low memory conditions or to automatically play tagged tracks in mono
- 33% more efficient memory usage with gapless albums
- Now observes Repeat One in iTunes for selected track in any playlist
- Improved operation of NetSend connect on launch and disconnect options

Sounds like a Mac is a really nice music server.  Maybe you can bring it when you come by, I'd love to hear it.  I am so struggling with streaming media servers.  I am looking at the new Bryston.

May 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #10,215 of 42,298
Thanks for the heads up on the Pure Music upgrade... any threads on here with some information on what to expect, or is there something on the web site?  You've got me curious now!

Quote:

Also, during listening sessions turn off Bluetooth on the Mac, keep your 'mobile' on the right side of your desk (anywhere with some distance between your Woo) and you'll be straight. FYI - to the delight of 'Pure Music' users, next week's release (version 1.8) is bringing major changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back