Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8,686 of 42,298

Quote:
After seeing my comments again, clearly I must have been in a 'Woo - induced' state when making them...
popcorn.gif

Sometimes, I have hawoocinations.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #8,688 of 42,298

Quote:
Sometimes, I have hawoocinations.

You think maybe some of us here are showing classic symptoms of separation (away from our Woo too long)? Given enough fresh drinking water on hand, would it be better to be without food for 3 days or you Woo for 3 months? (As Silent One looks into his tea bowl "mid-steep," he silently ponders...)

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8,689 of 42,298
Ah, SilentOne. Hitting that Woolong tea again?

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8,691 of 42,298
Oh man... just received my upgraded WA2... almost a spiritual experience. The Sylvania 7236 NOS indicate a packing date of 5-63. Amazing to have a tube fire up for the first time in nearly 50 years. I'm sure the people that packed this tube never dreamed an audiophile in the year 2011 would be raving about it. There is a peculiar smell of the tubes heating up that I recall from my early childhood, but haven't experienced since then. The heat from them slowly helps warm my music room in the basement

I know I'm supposed to let the amp burn in for 100+ hrs, but the opening hours are amazing... I've been working thru my four and five starred selections... utilizing my DAC, which is a NewForce Icon HDP... not top of the line, I know, but very respectable. Fantastic tunes christen the new amp: The Dogs of War (Pink Floyd); the Dream of Gerontius by Stephen Roberts, Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden-Dance of the Tumblers (HDtracks), among others.

I'm thoroughly impressed !

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #8,692 of 42,298

Quote:
Ah, SilentOne. Hitting that Woolong tea again?

We be chasing the Dragon! (Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearl Green Tea) And watching the Lady Huskies (UCONN) play basketball. But, when night falls, along with surface and street noises, it's 'Woo Time!'

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8,693 of 42,298
I would have to guess that the ST envelope reflects less heat if it's larger (i.e. further from the filament), because ideally the anode should be "cold."

Plus it just looks cool anyway!

Quote:
..... I'd really like to go back in time to see a tube engineer (is that what they called them?) sit down in front of his drawing board the day the he decided that the glass envelope would work better shaped like this. ......

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #8,694 of 42,298

Quote:
Oh man... just received my upgraded WA2... almost a spiritual experience. The Sylvania 7236 NOS indicate a packing date of 5-63. Amazing to have a tube fire up for the first time in nearly 50 years. I'm sure the people that packed this tube never dreamed an audiophile in the year 2011 would be raving about it. There is a peculiar smell of the tubes heating up that I recall from my early childhood, but haven't experienced since then. The heat from them slowly helps warm my music room in the basement.

I know I'm supposed to let the amp burn in for 100+ hrs, but the opening hours are amazing... I've been working thru my four and five starred selections... utilizing my DAC, which is a NewForce Icon HDP... not top of the line, I know, but very respectable. Fantastic tunes christen the new amp: The Dogs of War (Pink Floyd); the Dream of Gerontius by Stephen Roberts, Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden-Dance of the Tumblers (HDtracks), among others.

Resurrection? I bet engineers and contractors had no idea... None! And may have assumed that whatever new technology came along, tubes would get replaced (kicked to the curb!) and no one would care to look back. Your photographs are ooozing with joy - welcome to the club. The very first track I played on my WA6SE was from a Jazz Bassist who hails from Mexico City - "Holidays" by Abraham Laboriel. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #8,695 of 42,298

Quote:
Oh man... just received my upgraded WA2... almost a spiritual experience. The Sylvania 7236 NOS indicate a packing date of 5-63. Amazing to have a tube fire up for the first time in nearly 50 years. I'm sure the people that packed this tube never dreamed an audiophile in the year 2011 would be raving about it. There is a peculiar smell of the tubes heating up that I recall from my early childhood, but haven't experienced since then. The heat from them slowly helps warm my music room in the basement

Awesome photos!  Love reading comments from new Woo owners.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #8,696 of 42,298
Great photos--I have had my new WA2 for about 10 days now, and I'm loving mine as well.  Also using it with HD800s.  I also have the Sylvania 7236 power tubes.  This setup has me listening to my HD800s more than ever.  

I previously had a WA6SE, which didn't play to the HD800s strengths like the WA2 does.  I think this pairing is an excellent one.

On a slightly related note, I have a chance to get a pair of Tung Sol 5998s; I know these are slightly higher gain tubes, and I'm wondering if anyone using these in a WA2 or WA22 finds that they hum at all, or if there is any other downside to the higher gain.  My first priority for tubes is that they are totally quiet.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #8,697 of 42,298
5998's do not hum at all in my WA2.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8,699 of 42,298

Quote:
Great photos--I have had my new WA2 for about 10 days now, and I'm loving mine as well.  Also using it with HD800s.  I also have the Sylvania 7236 power tubes.  This setup has me listening to my HD800s more than ever.  

I previously had a WA6SE, which didn't play to the HD800s strengths like the WA2 does.  I think this pairing is an excellent one.

On a slightly related note, I have a chance to get a pair of Tung Sol 5998s; I know these are slightly higher gain tubes, and I'm wondering if anyone using these in a WA2 or WA22 finds that they hum at all, or if there is any other downside to the higher gain.  My first priority for tubes is that they are totally quiet.

FWIW, (and I'm new to this hobby), I have two different pairs of 5998s for my WA22. One is an IBM branded pair, the other is a TS 5998 pair NOS in very old original boxes. Now I know only Tung Sol made 5998s, and maybe the IBM are not the same as far as age/quality/hours go, but my new TS branded 5998s are awesome. The IBMs do have some noise or hum or whatever it is it's objectionable.

To summarize; it may not be the type of tube that causes objectionable noise, but the condition of the specific tubes.

The Tung Sol 7236 is becoming my favorite power tube. I now use TS 5998s or TS 7236 with either a TS 6SN7GT BGRP or Sylvania 6SN7W metal base. drivers, all using the only rectifier I have...EML 5U4G mesh.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #8,700 of 42,298

Quote:

FWIW, (and I'm new to this hobby), I have two different pairs of 5998s for my WA22. One is an IBM branded pair, the other is a TS 5998 pair NOS in very old original boxes. Now I know only Tung Sol made 5998s, and maybe the IBM are not the same as far as age/quality/hours go, but my new TS branded 5998s are awesome. The IBMs do have some noise or hum or whatever it is it's objectionable.

To summarize; it may not be the type of tube that causes objectionable noise, but the condition of the specific tubes.

The Tung Sol 7236 is becoming my favorite power tube. I now use TS 5998s or TS 7236 with either a TS 6SN7GT BGRP or Sylvania 6SN7W metal base. drivers, all using the only rectifier I have...EML 5U4G mesh.

You like the TS 5998 over your GEC 6AS7G?  I like the TS 5998 over the GEc 6AS&G only when I use LCD-2 but with HD800, the GEC is till my flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back