Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #8,701 of 42,298

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies to my question about the high and low gain outputs on the 6SE.  Supports and adds to what I read previously about the specific issue of the HiFiMAN line up.  My brief first listen last night told my ears more of the same! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I was still curious about how gain is actually adjusted in this unit and what effect it actually has, but after some more research it seems to me that power output is not changed, gain is essentially just a volume control.  If that's the case... I've answered my origial question.

I read a post earlier that the owners manuals are avaialble electronically.  I baught my unit used so I did not receive a manual.  If it's appropriate I was hoping someone can direct me to a manual or send one via e-mail?   Thanks, already had a response on this one.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Don't know about the HE-5's but the HE-6 using my max WA6SE will not properly power the HE-6's. Yes you have enough volume but you will never hear what the HE-6 can really do. The only headphone amp that I know about that can properly power the HE-6's is the WA5/LE from the low imp or the high imp and also the XLR jack in the WA5.

Quote:
The HE-5 are louder out of the high-gain plug for a given attenuation step than out of the low-gain plug.  IMO, the difference isn't enough, and if I cared to spend the shipping and labor cash, I would probably send my unit back and ask for the low-gain plug to be even lower.  This is using AFAIK the quietest tubes as well (6EW7).  Other tubes, like the 6CY7 are really too loud; I don't know for certain, but I bet with those tubes a HE-6 would work just fine out the high-gain on a WA6SE and hopefully I get a chance to test this one day. :)

I'm sure that the info is in this thread somewhere, but I believe that 6SN7 tubes w/ adaptor would put even more volume through the amp.

Quote:
Well, I can't comment on the subtleties of the sound that may be missing, but to my ears the WA6SE drives my HE5-LEs beautifully. They are easily the least efficient set of cans in my collection, but I have a pretty hot source so I have no problems with gain using 6de7/6ew7 tubes. I find the presentation to be very, very good compared to my VHP-2 or out of my backup preamp's headphone jack. That said, I have not heard the HE5-LEs on a more powerful amp.

In any case, I have no doubt you will find the 5s are a pretty sweet match with your amp.  

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #8,702 of 42,298
I love my RCA 6AS7G. I replaced them with a matched pair of NOS Mullard 6080 and they hum like nothing I've ever heard. So I pulled them out after about 50 hours. It's a shame because they sound so wonderful (and looks so regal) until I turn the volume up on quieter recordings. They hum like a swarm of bees (that don't know the words to the song). :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #8,703 of 42,298

Quote:
I love my RCA 6AS7G. I replaced them with a matched pair of NOS Mullard 6080 and they hum like nothing I've ever heard. So I pulled them out after about 50 hours. It's a shame because they sound so wonderful (and looks so regal) until I turn the volume up on quieter recordings. They hum like a swarm of bees (that don't know the words to the song). :)

Did you test them before use?

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #8,704 of 42,298
Yes. They tested very strong with no shorts, grid leakage, and excellent Life Test using my serviced and calibrated Sencore TC-28 tube tester.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #8,705 of 42,298
Only drawback is that the Sencore TC28 Hybrider hasn't got any noise tests.
Still they should perform well.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,706 of 42,298

Quote:

You like the TS 5998 over your GEC 6AS7G?  I like the TS 5998 over the GEc 6AS&G only when I use LCD-2 but with HD800, the GEC is till my flavor.

jc, my GEC 6as7's died almost immediately after I got them, so I couldn't tell you how they sound.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #8,707 of 42,298

Quote:
jc, my GEC 6as7's died almost immediately after I got them, so I couldn't tell you how they sound.

Did you contact Lorenz and get your money back?  Let me know if I can help.  Did you pick up GEC 6080?

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #8,708 of 42,298

Quote:

I own another tube tester that has headphones to test for microphonics. The headphones are from the 1950s. The phones came sealed in a military packet and had never seen the light of day until I opened them last year. The headphones, however, will not reveal humming, only microphonics when the tube being tested is tapped lightly with something.

Oh, yes. Besides the hum at very high volume, the tubes perform very well.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #8,709 of 42,298

Quote:
Did you contact Lorenz and get your money back?  Let me know if I can help.  Did you pick up GEC 6080?

I wish I had got them from Lorenz. He still has none as far as I know.I did ask him to let me know if he got some, but you know yourself how rare they are.
I got them from an eBay seller who did send me one replacement tube (different style GEC 6AS7G), but now I find out that the other one of the original pair is also going bad.

I did get some very fine GEC 6080 from Lorenz though!

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #8,710 of 42,298
Quote:

And pray tell me, which tube tester do you use and/or recommend to test tubes for noise?

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #8,711 of 42,298
I use the following:
B&K 606, B&K 747B, Jackson 648P, Hickok 533A, Sencore TC28, TV7-D/U.
The very best check is your amp. If you can ensure a tube is safe to use then your amp is the real and final test.
There is no better tester to evaluate a tube than the TC28 with the best industry Grid Leakage test at 100Meg.
The Life Test should last at least a minute to give time to the filament to cool down.
Finally some tubes may test bad but they can sound wonderful and last a long time.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #8,712 of 42,298

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies to my question about the high and low gain outputs on the 6SE.  Supports and adds to what I read previously about the specific issue of the HiFiMAN line up.  My brief first listen last night told my ears more of the same! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I was still curious about how gain is actually adjusted in this unit and what effect it actually has, but after some more research it seems to me that power output is not changed, gain is essentially just a volume control.  If that's the case... I've answered my origial question.

I read a post earlier that the owners manuals are avaialble electronically.  I baught my unit used so I did not receive a manual.  If it's appropriate I was hoping someone can direct me to a manual or send one via e-mail?

Thanks,
Chris

Online Manual - I have one for the WA6SE. If you've not heard back from Woo Audio yet, PM your email and I'll send it to you. 

Silent One

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #8,713 of 42,298

Quote:
I use the following:
B&K 606, B&K 747B, Jackson 648P, Hickok 533A, Sencore TC28, TV7-D/U.
The very best check is your amp. If you can ensure a tube is safe to use then your amp is the real and final test.
There is no better tester to evaluate a tube than the TC28 with the best industry Grid Leakage test at 100Meg.
The Life Test should last at least a minute to give time to the filament to cool down.
Finally some tubes may test bad but they can sound wonderful and last a long time.

Wow! You own TV7-D/U. Cool!

You're absolutely right about tubes testing BAD. I have a matching pair of used Mullard EL34 that tests VERY BAD and they sound really wonderful when used in my power amp. They've been going strong for a long time and they still test VERY BAD when I do check on them. LIFE TEST is also BAD. Go figure. I only throw them out when they have a short--OF COURSE!

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #8,714 of 42,298
I get no hum or buzz at all with either the TS 5998 or the SYL 7236 power tubes in my WA22. The person that sold me the amp told me I would get an "annoying buzz" after about half an hour with the Sophia 274b "Princess" rectifier, but I have not been able to duplicate that issue so far (knocks on wood) either.

I'm still trying to find a tube combo that can optimize the LCD-2 and HD800 at the same time, easier said than done as they seem to have completely different needs.

Right now I have the TSRP drivers with the 7236 for power and the EML 5U4G rectifier, they work nicely with both the LCD-2 and the HD600; I am "in between" HD800s for now anyways. But the HD600 sounds great with the 7236 tubes, while I prefer the 5998s with the HD800. It's an interesting puzzle-type dilemma, next I will try the Princess again and I have some Bad Boys on the way that should be here soon.

When I get another HD800 I will start taking more detailed notes, but ATM I am liking the balanced HD600 quite a bit and love the LCD-2 as always so no hurry.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #8,715 of 42,298
Also, keep in mind that noisy tubes in one type of system may actually not be noisy in another.  Sometimes it just depends on the circuitry of the system.  For me, nothing beats the 7236. The price is 1/7th the cost of GEC 6AS7G.  There aren't that many differences (to justify spending 7x the amount of money). GEC's are smoother for sure, but I like the higher gain of the 7236 - which I tend to enjoy for the type of music I listen to.  I'd really like to try a cheaper pair of NOS RCA JAN 6AS7G'S, but have a feeling I would just go back to the 7236's anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back