Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #7,817 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Notice you have a WA22, the last time I use Mullard GZ34.  The WA22 runs much warmer than using EML 274B or EML 5U4G, not sure it is a good thing or not and I have not email Jack about this yet.

Jack emailed me back on this... I will give it another try tonight if I can make it thru the storm.

"A bit warmer is fine. Report back if it runs hot. The GZ34 draws more current and thus the amp will work harder.

Jack"

I noticed this too, and it apparently is linked to how many amps the rectifier draws from the transformer.  In terms of hot to cool my experience was:  5AS4G > 5U4G > 5R4GYB > 5V4G > 274B.  The last two could probably be switched since they are the same, but with the EML the amp is cool to the touch and when I was using that 5AS4 (a tube I disliked so much I threw it out) it was actually hot to the touch, not warm like it tends to be with a 5U4G.  The 5AS4 is the only rectifier I've seen that has 8 contact pins on it too which is interesting.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #7,818 of 42,298

Quote:
Oops.  That is illegal copying those then selling. Nevermind

I was sitting inside my garage on the wind trainer pondering what you just wrote. And thought, "Wouldn't Campy gear justify the aforementioned activity?" Definitely audio additions anyways...
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #7,820 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone Else Not Finding the  Princess Sophia their "Cup of Tea" ?

I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

I bought a used one with about 100 hours on it, so fully burned in.  I have a WA6SE also (mine is maxxed).  The Sophia tube lasted a week with me, as I recall, before I sold it again.  IMO it didn't do much of anything right in my specific application of it.  I think I was using ATH 5000 and Grado 1000 at the time.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure the guy who bought it from me was quite happy with it, but I don't recall his use of it.  I did not find it's bass performance good at all, and thought it rendered a general lack of detail through the mids and highs, and was just baffled why anyone would like it.  I much prefer the EML 5U4G, which seems to do everything just right in the same application - solid bass, clarity, separation, detail and extension.  It is an excellent performer for me. 

I agreed.  When I had W5000, I much prefer the EML 5U4G over Sophia.  Another rectifier is good match with W5000 is Mullard GZ34.  That is when I still have WA6 maxxed.  I did not get a chance to try W5000 with WA22.  That being said, W5000 sounds best out of HA5000.  There is no other amp can compare if you love W5000 and planning to keep it for a long time.

As always one must trust their own ears, but it was nice to hear others who opinions I highly respect feel the same about the Princess.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #7,821 of 42,298

Quote:
I sell on ebay, and from my experience it takes about a week for items to make it from the east coast to the west via fed-ex ground

this item shipped FED-EX Ground from Long Island, NY (about 20 miles east of Woo's office)

Apparently, it takes just as long for Fedex to ship a package 5 miles away as it does to ship it 3000. My WA2 was shipped on 1/11/11 via Fedex Home Delivery with an origin of Lawrence, NY which is in Nassau County. It was originally listed with an expected delivery date of 1/12/11 which is pretty reasonable, I suppose seeing as I, too, live in Nassau County just a few towns over. So, of course, Fedex ships my WA2 across the Hudson to New Jersey where it has been sitting in some cold warehouse since the evening of the 11th. No further tracking info, no updates. How much does Fedex suck? Much.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #7,822 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
I sell on ebay, and from my experience it takes about a week for items to make it from the east coast to the west via fed-ex ground

this item shipped FED-EX Ground from Long Island, NY (about 20 miles east of Woo's office)

Apparently, it takes just as long for Fedex to ship a package 5 miles away as it does to ship it 3000. My WA2 was shipped on 1/11/11 via Fedex Home Delivery with an origin of Lawrence, NY which is in Nassau County. It was originally listed with an expected delivery date of 1/12/11 which is pretty reasonable, I suppose seeing as I, too, live in Nassau County just a few towns over. So, of course, Fedex ships my WA2 across the Hudson to New Jersey where it has been sitting in some cold warehouse since the evening of the 11th. No further tracking info, no updates. How much does Fedex suck? Much.

This is Woo's Law, that is wait time is in inverse porportion to how much you want your amp!

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #7,823 of 42,298
I have something coming from Woo Audio that left on Jan 11th and will arrive today the 13th just outside of Chicago.  Two days is pretty good.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #7,825 of 42,298

Quote:
This is Woo's Law, that is wait time is in inverse porportion to how much you want your amp!

It sure ain't easy!

Quote:
I live in MA, both time I asked Jack to use UPS and I get it the next morning even using UPS ground.

This is smart. I should have done that. This is my first order though and I didn't know what delivery service would be used.

Fedex Home Delivery isn't even Fedex. It's definitely not Fedex Ground. It's the red-headed stepchild of the Fedex family: the dirty little secret it doesn't like to tell anyone about. Has anyone ever had to go to a Fedex Home Delivery office? They have less teeth and more fingers than other folks. They don't wear (or own?) Fedex uniforms so they look like random hobos waiting inside from the cold. They never have answers for your questions. Their computers aren't even linked to "real" Fedex. And they all seem to be located next to abandoned train tracks. If you order from Woo Audio and want to get your stuff on time and in one piece, I'd suggest doing what jc9394 does and request UPS Ground service.

In Summary:
Fedex=UPS > Fedex Ground=UPS Ground > Blind deaf monkey > The neighbor kid who just ain't right > Fedex Home Delivery. </End Rant>

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #7,826 of 42,298
In defense of Jack, Fedex Ground/Home is quite a bit less expensive on large or heavy items than UPS. I have had good service from Home Delivery in my area. Given the number of items I have received over the years (huge) this is almost useless anecdotal data, but the only service I have had issues with a couple times is UPS.

I am also not sure of the policies about Fedex Ground vs Home. If I ship something to a residence and select Ground, it will force it to Home if the address resolves to a residence upon validation. However, I have received items at home via Fedex Ground as opposed to Home Delivery that were sent by a business (my Apple Mac Pro computer came Fedex Ground, not Home Delivery), so I'm not sure how this works.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #7,827 of 42,298
Plus, Fedex Home delivers on Saturday which is a biggy for packages requiring signatures.  There are nightmare stories associated with all the shipping companies. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #7,828 of 42,298
Thank you very much, H-Addict.
I think I have to better replace either the cable... Cardas?

Quote:

I would consider getting a pair of Sylvania VT-231 or Bad Boys to bring out the highs with either the HD650 or LCD-2.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #7,829 of 42,298

Quote:
This is smart. I should have done that. This is my first order though and I didn't know what delivery service would be used.

Fedex Home Delivery isn't even Fedex. It's definitely not Fedex Ground. It's the red-headed stepchild of the Fedex family: the dirty little secret it doesn't like to tell anyone about. Has anyone ever had to go to a Fedex Home Delivery office? They have less teeth and more fingers than other folks. They don't wear (or own?) Fedex uniforms so they look like random hobos waiting inside from the cold. They never have answers for your questions. Their computers aren't even linked to "real" Fedex. And they all seem to be located next to abandoned train tracks. If you order from Woo Audio and want to get your stuff on time and in one piece, I'd suggest doing what jc9394 does and request UPS Ground service.

In Summary:
Fedex=UPS > Fedex Ground=UPS Ground > Blind deaf monkey > The neighbor kid who just ain't right > Fedex Home Delivery. </End Rant>

Probably (well definately) not PC but you are a funny guy! Biggest laugh of my day, thanks.... 

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #7,830 of 42,298

Quote:
Plus, Fedex Home delivers on Saturday which is a biggy for packages requiring signatures.  There are nightmare stories associated with all the shipping companies. 

Saturday delivery for FedEx Home is indeed a good option for signatures required. Other things to consider: No deliveries on Mondays if you're out of position on Saturday; they are contractors and cannot "Status" your packages while driver is out for delivery. FedEx Ground/Air can via dispatcher. Now, if I could just get that vinyl rip of Yamaha R&D's "Session III" at 192kHz/24-bit from one of you audiophiles, don't return it with FedEx Home delivery!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back