Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 22, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #6,766 of 42,298
Nov 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6,767 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey guys

I've been reading the forms for a while and I've decided to get into headphones. I have a good stereo, but I haven't been able to get it sounding right in my new house/room. I spent about $2000 on panels and I'm just tried of messing around with it. So... what better way to start off with headphone audio then buying a Woo.

I'm thinking of going with a WA22 first, but I won't have a balanced source for a year or so. Should I still get one? Will it still sound half decent?

Thanks

With any balanced amp you must go 100% balanced (cable, source player and DAC) to bring out the best of a balanced amp, otherwise you would better off going SE.

If you like a speaker system but want the acoustics to come out right along with the tonal qualities, placement of speakers, ect.. Then you may want to look here.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/900#post_7015952

The draw back to this system is you must have access to a high end speaker system and room acoustics. In my case I went to AIX sound studio and made copy's of there reference 5.1/7.1 speaker system and there certified THX 5.1 system. So now I have about 95% of what there sound systems sound like in my man cave at a fraction of what a sound systems of this caliber would cost.

I don't use there bundled STAX system because I have a tricked out WA5LE and also a WA6SE max. Along with a couple of high end SE headphones.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #6,768 of 42,298
Thanks mike

That's basically what I wanted to know, if it still sounded good SE. I'm pretty sure ill be picking up a pair of HD800 a few months after getting the WA22 too. For now, i'll be using $40 earbuds from sony....LOL. You got to start somewhere i guess, and i want to do it right. I do love imaging, but I spent so long trying to get it in my new room that I forgot why I started doing all this to begin with..... the music!

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #6,769 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks mike

That's basically what I wanted to know, if it still sounded good SE. I'm pretty sure ill be picking up a pair of HD800 a few months after getting the WA22 too. For now, i'll be using $40 earbuds from sony....LOL. You got to start somewhere i guess, and i want to do it right. I do love imaging, but I spent so long trying to get it in my new room that I forgot why I started doing all this to begin with..... the music!

Well if you are in it for the music, you're in the right place.  Just from a personal perspective.  Everytime I turn on my WA22 and listen to music, it just hits the spot.  It's like I have this inner criticality and my Woo goes past it every time.  It's just this rich sound that is true.

I'm sure you'll love your WA22.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #6,770 of 42,298
I just got my delivery from China: Shuguang CV181-Z Treasure matched pair.  Oooooooooooo they are nice and come in a box.  Now all I need is the WA22 to be delivered so I can hook them up.

Keith

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #6,771 of 42,298
Quote:
I just got my delivery from China: Shuguang CV181-Z Treasure matched pair.  Oooooooooooo they are nice and come in a box.  Now all I need is the WA22 to be delivered so I can hook them up.

Keith

Awesome!  I had a chance to listen to them for a month (thanks again Clayton!) and I really liked them.  They have plenty of detail with a pretty smooth sound.  If you like them, I'd suggest trying out a pair of the black glass Ken Rad VT-231s.  The sound is very similar but I found the Ken-Rads to be a bit more tubey.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6,772 of 42,298
Need some advice on a transaction with an ebay seller from Greece.  His id is pavgeris and I bought some NOS NIB Tung-Sol 6SN7's from him.

He shipped from Greece on 11/11 and they got to New York on the 13th.  Then for some reason unknown to the Post Office, they were sent back to Greece and they remain there to this day.  I have not heard word one from pavgeris about this and just emailed him today about it.  Probably won't hear till later today or maybe even tomorrow given the time difference.

Has anyone had any experience with buying from pavgeris?  Anyone ever have this happen to them where for some reason their stuff is shipped back?

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #6,773 of 42,298
The Post Office is free to send things back to international shippers for a variety of reasons, including:

1) Improper destination address
2) Improper customs forms/delcaration
3) Improper origin address
4) Suspicious contents
5) Insufficient postage

So, I'd be willing to bet the seller just messed something up on accident.  If the package made it to the US, this was not a deliberate attempt to steal your money.  Give the seller a day or so to respond.  But, if you used Paypal on eBay, you should be protected and can do a charge-back.

Quote:
Need some advice on a transaction with an ebay seller from Greece.  His id is pavgeris and I bought some NOS NIB Tung-Sol 6SN7's from him.

He shipped from Greece on 11/11 and they got to New York on the 13th.  Then for some reason unknown to the Post Office, they were sent back to Greece and they remain there to this day.  I have not heard word one from pavgeris about this and just emailed him today about it.  Probably won't hear till later today or maybe even tomorrow given the time difference.

Has anyone had any experience with buying from pavgeris?  Anyone ever have this happen to them where for some reason their stuff is shipped back?

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6,774 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks.

I have purchased some pricey tubes from John and he has always shipped quickly and communicated well.  I am sure he will make things right.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #6,775 of 42,298
Quote:

I have purchased some pricey tubes from John and he has always shipped quickly and communicated well.  I am sure he will make things right.

Are we talking about the same guy?  Pavgeris is Peter Avgeris.  Does he have someone named John working for him?

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #6,776 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Keith

Awesome!  I had a chance to listen to them for a month (thanks again Clayton!) and I really liked them.  They have plenty of detail with a pretty smooth sound.  If you like them, I'd suggest trying out a pair of the black glass Ken Rad VT-231s.  The sound is very similar but I found the Ken-Rads to be a bit more tubey.

Finally a comparison of a Shuguang tube to anything else, very interesting as I have the Shuguang and am bidding on the Ken-Rad. Keep 'em coming, especially the 274B if anyone can compare it to other rectifiers!

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6,777 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Are we talking about the same guy?  Pavgeris is Peter Avgeris.  Does he have someone named John working for him?

Sorry, no.  I guess I didn't realize how many tube dealers were in Greece!

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #6,778 of 42,298
If you paid via,,paypal file a claim you can get your money back..They will contact him first to see why the package never got to you,, then they go from there..

Quote:

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6,780 of 42,298

Quote:
How long does it usually take Jack to respond to an email? Have sent a couple of inquiries over the past few days and have not heard anything back so far.

It can take a day or two before he answers.  Sometimes I'll resend and then I get an answer.  He is pretty good about answering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back