Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 23, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #6,796 of 42,298
Thinking about trying some Ken Rad VT-231 after hearing you guys talking about them.  Anyone experiencing any microphonics with these in a WA22?  Would love a PM if anyone knows of a good dealer to get a pair.  Thanks.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #6,797 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Clayton, did you see the post for the Bay Area meet in January?  Think you can make it?

I could photoshop a few GEC stickers for you if you like.  How do you think the Mullards sound in relation to GEC?

Yes, I did see that post. Unfortunately I don't own a car (ah, City living at its best) so I couldn't lug along my amps to contribute to the meet--which sucks. Also, I may be traveling during the month of January. I'm originally from Hawaii so back I go to visit me mum and sis to spend winter in there. As for the Mullards--I've never heard a GEC 6080 so I couldn't tell you. These are my faves though: 1) Tung-Sol 6AS7G; 2) Mullard 6080; and 3) RCA 6AS7G black plates--these have the letters CRC and an anchor symbol on its base.

Where are you from in Hawaii?  My wife and I get there every year for a few weeks.  Also, If you are in town, I could pick you up.  Thanks for you list of faves.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #6,798 of 42,298

I've bought a pair of Tung Sol round plates from him and they arrived in Singapore faster than some Hong Kong retailers. He even tested them before shipping and emailed me the photos of them on his tester. I was quite pleased by his communication, so he should reply to you soon.

It's agony looking at the round plates though, as Jack told me he'll ship off my WA22 next week. It's gonna be a long wait for me to use my tubes, but looking through this very informative thread I know it's darn worth the wait.

You are so going to love your WA22.  What are you planning to use as rectifier and power tubes?

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #6,799 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes, I did see that post. Unfortunately I don't own a car (ah, City living at its best) so I couldn't lug along my amps to contribute to the meet--which sucks. Also, I may be traveling during the month of January. I'm originally from Hawaii so back I go to visit me mum and sis to spend winter in there. As for the Mullards--I've never heard a GEC 6080 so I couldn't tell you. These are my faves though: 1) Tung-Sol 6AS7G; 2) Mullard 6080; and 3) RCA 6AS7G black plates--these have the letters CRC and an anchor symbol on its base.

Clayton, you should really try to get your hands on a pair of GEC 6AS7G or GEC 6080.  PM for GEC 6080 contact if you are interested, the last time I exchange emails with the shop owner, he still have 5 more NOS pair.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #6,800 of 42,298
Quote:
You are so going to love your WA22.  What are you planning to use as rectifier and power tubes?

I ordered the EML 5U4G mesh from Jack and I have some Tung Sol 5998s as well. A few days back I pulled the trigger on a pair of GEC 6080s too. I blame this thread and the 6SN7 thread for giving me too many tube ideas for an amp that hasn't arrived yet.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #6,801 of 42,298

Quote:
Where are you from in Hawaii?  My wife and I get there every year for a few weeks.  Also, If you are in town, I could pick you up.  Thanks for you list of faves.

I was born in Hilo, Hawaii and my mom and sis live in Waikoloa on the east side of the Big Island. My sister works at the Fairmont Orchid Hotel in Kona. It's an incredibly wonderful resort. When I feel the need to get away from Hawaiian suburban bliss, she sets me up at that resort when I come visit. It's really an extravagant place to spend time on the beach--well I'd rather spend what little cash I have left (after my wallet was stricken with Woo-matism) on electron tubes than inflatable tubes. Thanks for the offer to give me a ride to the meet. I shall pm you if I can make it.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #6,802 of 42,298

Quote:
Thinking about trying some Ken Rad VT-231 after hearing you guys talking about them.  Anyone experiencing any microphonics with these in a WA22?  Would love a PM if anyone knows of a good dealer to get a pair.  Thanks.

Just FWIW, the Ken Rad VT-231 is notorious for being microphonic.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #6,803 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I ordered the EML 5U4G mesh from Jack and I have some Tung Sol 5998s as well. A few days back I pulled the trigger on a pair of GEC 6080s too. I blame this thread and the 6SN7 thread for giving me too many tube ideas for an amp that hasn't arrived yet.

You are starting out at the top!

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #6,804 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I was born in Hilo, Hawaii and my mom and sis live in Waikoloa on the east side of the Big Island. My sister works at the Fairmont Orchid Hotel in Kona. It's an incredibly wonderful resort. When I feel the need to get away from Hawaiian suburban bliss, she sets me up at that resort when I come visit. It's really an extravagant place to spend time on the beach--well I'd rather spend what little cash I have left (after my wallet was stricken with Woo-matism) on electron tubes than inflatable tubes. Thanks for the offer to give me a ride to the meet. I shall pm you if I can make it.

I think we are going to be on Maui in June or July.  Sounds like you have a nice arraingment, very cool.  I get the Woomantism part.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #6,805 of 42,298
Quote:

I have a couple of pairs of the Ken Rad VT-231s and both pairs are dead silent and pick up absolutely no noise.  I could drive a jackhammer into my chassis and I wouldn't hear a thing... other than my amp breaking of course.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #6,806 of 42,298
Hey yo!  Any of you guys have a particular phono stage preference that pairs well with the WA22?  A balanced out would make sense, to go into the WA22.

If it matters, it would be paired up with a VPI HW-19 Jr (couple upgrades), a JMW tonearm and a Grado Sonata (MM cart).  And HD800s.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for any insight.  I've been reading and reading, but phono stages don't seem to get too much discussion time.

Pretty sure a WA22 is in my near future...  
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #6,807 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey yo!  Any of you guys have a particular phono stage preference that pairs well with the WA22?  A balanced out would make sense, to go into the WA22.

If it matters, it would be paired up with a VPI HW-19 Jr (couple upgrades), a JMW tonearm and a Grado Sonata (MM cart).  And HD800s.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for any insight.  I've been reading and reading, but phono stages don't seem to get too much discussion time.

biggrin.gif

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/gcph-phono-preamplifier

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #6,808 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/gcph-phono-preamplifier

In case you're interested, you can get a new and modified PSAudio phono stage from Rick Cullen at: http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/site/67005/78076/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=285612&b_id=&find_groupid=9539.

A lot of us here have the PS Audio DLIII that were modified by Rick Cullen and he does a super job.  If I were going to get a phono stage and picked the one from PS Audio, I'd have Rick modify it.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #6,809 of 42,298
Can I switch the gain settings while my WA6 is on and music is playing? Or is it best to turn it off?

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #6,810 of 42,298

Quote:
Can I switch the gain settings while my WA6 is on and music is playing? Or is it best to turn it off?

Welcome and happy listening to your WA6!

This is from Head-Fi's Wiki under the W tab. Responses are from Jack Wu--Woo Audio.
What is the correct way to turn on tube amps with headphones?
Q #4 is the question you ask:
4) Is it safe or unsafe to flick the impedance switch in the back while the amp is on/while the music is playing? I always thought no, so I've been turning it off every time before I do so, but wanted to make sure.
J: You can change the impedance setting while the amp is on and music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back