Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 14, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #6,197 of 42,298

Quote:
You can get a NOS 5U4GB for $25, or used/tested ones for under $10!  I can almost guarantee that it will sound better than any SS rectifier.

Yes, you're right about inexpensive NOS 5U4GBs--some great deals can be had on TS ones too.
smile.gif

Can someone tell by looking at Jack's photo of the WA3 internals which ss rectifier he uses. Ss rectifiers must not be all that bad if Jack uses them in WA3 amp. Then again the WA3 circuit is built around that as well, yes?

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #6,198 of 42,298
Skylab, I'm sure I would have agreed with you on the sound until I tried it. I just may not have the musical ear that you have although I have no trouble decerning differences in the different tube amps & tubes I do try. I had very low expectations for it until I heard it, & even then my thinking was I could use in place of my high dollar Rectifiers when I was just working on the computer & music was just a background thing. Them I could pull out my EML/Sophia along with my TS/Treasures etc. when I sat down for some serious listening.

So I'm not saying this thing is the be all or end all in our search for the perfect sound, but I was & am shocked at just how good it did sound with my TS tubes & later with my Treasures. Very dynamic sounding.
Again most likely if I was able to do a quick swap out or if I had another Woo6 max sitting there & went back & forth i'd likely hear much more of a difference. But I wait 30 minutes between switches & though I notice differences, Im not hearing anything I would describe as anything other than darn good sound. I'm sure it has much more to do with either the Treasures or TS tubes, but at least to my ear the ss rectifier isn't having the negative impact I expected & had Jack not responded as he did, I did have thoughts of using as I'd said above. Now I'll wait u till my friend does his thing to determine if it will cause any problems for the amp (which Jack did not mention) or the other tubes ( which he did mention).

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #6,199 of 42,298
And I am a big believer in system synergy, so it may well be that in the context of your overall system it does indeed sound better.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #6,200 of 42,298

Quote:
Hay guys I haven't posted for awhile to busy at work
After reading the posts about the expensive 6SN7RP their is a pretty much unknown tube the 7AF7 round plate.
It has the same specs as a 6SN7 with a little lower gain 16 vrs 20 for the 6SN7 this might make it a better candidate for the WA6.
The 6DE7 has lower gain than a 6SN7.
I tried these in a 22 and sounded pretty darn good maybe not as good as my 6F8Grp but I don't have a WA6 to try these in.
If somebody that has a WA6 and would like to try the 7AF7 I will send a pair of tubes and adapters for a try and let us know how they sound.
The 7AF7 only costs $11.10 at Antique Electronic supply and as far as I know all brands are Round plate.
Let me know if anyone has interest.  Glenn

Nice Glenn!

I love the 7AF7.  One of the best "bang for your buck" antique tube.

Can't use them in my WA2 yet, but still enjoy them nevertheless......
beerchug.gif

Rockin' a Delco one atm.....

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6,201 of 42,298
Quick question folks:

Does anyone happen to know what the rated maximum input voltages are for the WA22 (or the other Woos for that matter). I have been setting my DAC to output 2V rms, for both balanced and unbalanced, but am not sure whether this is optimal. 

I thought I would ask here, as I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Woo site and don't really want to bother Jack unless I need to.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6,203 of 42,298

Quote:

Can't use them to sub a 6DJ8 to bad.

Meh, that's not a deal breaker though...I mean, the 6DJ8 family has some of the finest audio tubes ever.  Sure, they are also sky-high as far as prices go, but there's a lot of awesomeness and variety out there.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6,204 of 42,298

Quote:
 2) I couldn't believe how cool my Woo ran. With the stock 6EW7 tubes in my WA6SE, the amp ran hot and summertime didn't help. And now? With 6SN7 tubes now glowing, my Woo doesn't even get warm!

I always forget about this, but you are right.  My amp doesn't even get warm anymore either.  The 6FD7 was the worst for heat, the transformer cover would become outright hot after an hour.  A pair of those with the 5AS4G rectifier I was using at the time produced some unsettling heat levels.  The volume pot would also start to stick a bit because heat from the tubes would cause the metal on the pot shaft to expand slightly.  Now it turns silky smooth all the time.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #6,205 of 42,298
Talk about heat, you should try a pair of 6N1P's, lol...they draw a bit more current than a 6DJ8, abd the whole amp gets hot.  I asked Jack about them, citing the current draw, and he assured me that the power supply is overbuilt and it isn't a problem.  These tubes sound good (the vintage Soviet era ones anyway), but they are not for summertime use, lol.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6,206 of 42,298

Quote:
I always forget about this, but you are right.  My amp doesn't even get warm anymore either.  The 6FD7 was the worst for heat, the transformer cover would become outright hot after an hour.  A pair of those with the 5AS4G rectifier I was using at the time produced some unsettling heat levels.  The volume pot would also start to stick a bit because heat from the tubes would cause the metal on the pot shaft to expand slightly.  Now it turns silky smooth all the time.

I feared the excessive heat would lead to a premature death of components inside or the entire amp. I try to rest my ears every few days. But sending my amp back to NY for repairs is a break I can do without.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #6,207 of 42,298

Quote:
Talk about heat, you should try a pair of 6N1P's, lol...they draw a bit more current than a 6DJ8, abd the whole amp gets hot.  I asked Jack about them, citing the current draw, and he assured me that the power supply is overbuilt and it isn't a problem.  These tubes sound good (the vintage Soviet era ones anyway), but they are not for summertime use, lol.

I find Jack's view comforting... thanks! 

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #6,208 of 42,298

I have to say that for sure it is not the 6fd7s , but your rectifier creating all that heat. As I write this post I have been listening to my wa6 for 3 hours and without 0 exaggeration my amp feels like it is not even on . I am using EML 274B and I have to add this amp never sounded so good.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #6,209 of 42,298

Quote:

Oh my, your pot would stick. Now that is hot.
eek.gif

I don't have any heat issues with my WA6SE and I don't even have it on the top self. However my WA5LE is a different story, when I turn it on the lights in the neighborhood dim but still it never gets hot only a little warm.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6,210 of 42,298
New tubes; audio rack for my Woo Audio 6 SE. The rack comes from my own closet: Cedar wood shoe rack. And the tubes came from someone else's closet: Raytheon 6SN7WGT - 1949. Only have 35 hours on the Rays but very happy with their sound to date. 

Looming on the horizon, a potential pairing with the EML 5U4G Mesh Plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back