Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #5,538 of 42,298

Quote:
I bought a pair for $400!
frown.gif

I was going to say $400 a pair but I thought that I'd be a little conservative in my estimates. I wonder how much there were a year ago. I wonder if anyone knew about TSRP a year ago. I have some 1944 Raytheon VT99 w/ Glenn's adapters and I got them for $40 a pair last year (the tubes and not the adapters). They're probably not as good as the TSRP. I wouldn't know--I've never owned a pair of TSRP. Rollin' rollin' rollin'. Keep those tubes a-rollin'.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #5,540 of 42,298
Just for the record, how long (in hrs) will the average pair of nos 6sn7's last. I'm sure this will vary on a bunch of things, but it would be hard for me to justify paying $400 for a pair of tubes that will only last a few years.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5,541 of 42,298
The most I've paid for a single tube is $38, and that was a little too rich for me.  I'm glad my WA3 likes tubes that are on the cheaper side.

Quote:
Not spending $600 for a pair of tubes, I think $400 is the max I will pay...

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5,542 of 42,298
In that price range I like the MF V-Dac.  I haven't actually used mine with my WA6, I've got a CIA VDA-2 for that.  But I do have the V-DAC running to my Asgard.  Works well.  Good price.

Edit:

I probably should have quoted the person I was responding to.  I'd like to go to sleep now.  Please?

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #5,543 of 42,298

Quote:

I probably should have quoted the person I was responding to.  I'd like to go to sleep now.  Please?

Goodnight MrFisherman. Until tomorrow--when you attach yourself to your Woo once again.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #5,544 of 42,298
Evenin' all.

I've learned an important lesson over the last couple of months:

'A man and his Woo are not easily parted'

To summarise, I recently (impulse) bought an SPL Phonitor, a fantastic amp, and have felt a bit pressured financially. As a result, I (foolishly) have tried to sell my WA6 twice over the last couple of months, but have ended up withdrawing the listings in short order both times. The phonitor is an impressive amp - loads of power for the HD800 and insane crossfeed, but my WA6 has a special something about it, a certain something in the midrange which only tubes seem able to do. I just did a direct AB between the two, and the tonality of the WA6 (with the Princess and some RCA 6FD7 installed) is pretty special. Guess I've learned that sometimes you don't always appreciate something 'till it's almost gone (It's no longer going anywhere).

P.S you lot have been busy with all these new tube rolling options, I have loads of new things to be trying it seems.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5,546 of 42,298

Quote:
Goodnight MrFisherman. Until tomorrow--when you attach yourself to your Woo once again.
biggrin.gif

I haven't seen my Woo since that first day I got it. Work made me fly out the very next day and now I can't get home.  And they won't let me sleep either.

Grumble.  Grumble.  Foul expletive.  Grumble.

This whole work thing is getting in the way of my audio addiction.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #5,547 of 42,298
Quote:
Great pics guys...
beerchug.gif

Sorry to hear about your WA2 debit...Jack will sort it out for you.

@ balderon- Sorry, this is a large thread so my apologies if I missed it.  Those adapters for 6SN7 can only be used in the WA6?

Thanks

Quote:
The WA6-SE adapters need a resistor and bypass capacitor in the adapter
and the Wa6 does not so the adapters are different.
Glenn

Glenn makes several adapters and is the best person to ask.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #5,549 of 42,298

Quote:
I haven't seen my Woo since that first day I got it. Work made me fly out the very next day and now I can't get home.  And they won't let me sleep either.

Grumble.  Grumble.  Foul expletive.  Grumble.

This whole work thing is getting in the way of my audio addiction.

Ah, but my good MrFisherman: you need this Work Thing to enjoy your audio addiction. Yes?
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #5,550 of 42,298

Evenin' all.

I've learned an important lesson over the last couple of months:

'A man and his Woo are not easily parted'

To summarise, I recently (impulse) bought an SPL Phonitor, a fantastic amp, and have felt a bit pressured financially. As a result, I (foolishly) have tried to sell my WA6 twice over the last couple of months, but have ended up withdrawing the listings in short order both times. The phonitor is an impressive amp - loads of power for the HD800 and insane crossfeed, but my WA6 has a special something about it, a certain something in the midrange which only tubes seem able to do. I just did a direct AB between the two, and the tonality of the WA6 (with the Princess and some RCA 6FD7 installed) is pretty special. Guess I've learned that sometimes you don't always appreciate something 'till it's almost gone (It's no longer going anywhere).

P.S you lot have been busy with all these new tube rolling options, I have loads of new things to be trying it seems.

X2, I totally know what you meant. I'm too tried few times to sell my WA6 and every time I end up withdrawing it. It is extremely hard to part with an Woo amp, especially I know I will no longer able to get a maxxed WA6 anymore. Let's hope my incoming WA22 will blow my WA6 out of water, so I can finally part it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back