Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #5,521 of 42,298

I'm printing this out and keeping it as my reference guide for my next phase of tube rolling.  Thank you for being so clear and precise.

Quote:
Exactly.  The 5998 is the best all-rounder, so it gets the most play.  I usually listen to several genres during one session, so this tube does well with them.  Good warmth, bass, detail, and speed.  When I know I'll only be listening to faster music, like metal, the 7236 is nice.  It is faster, has more bass, but isn't quite as warm.  The 6AS7G is wonderful at acoustic and orchestral music.  It doesn't have the speed of the other tubes, but it's the warmest and most seductive of the group.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #5,522 of 42,298
You're welcome!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm printing this out and keeping it as my reference guide for my next phase of tube rolling.  Thank you for being so clear and precise.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #5,523 of 42,298

Quote:
The 6AS7G is wonderful at acoustic and orchestral music.  It doesn't have the speed of the other tubes, but it's the warmest and most seductive of the group.

Yes. Thank you. I agree--couldn't have described it as well. I love my RCA 6AS7G. Gordon Lightfoot and Joan Baez really sound wonderfully vibrant and alive with this tube. In fact, I think I'll put on some Gordon right now--Affair on 8th Avenue.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #5,524 of 42,298
I found the following description on head-fi.  Unfortunately I lost the original link and don't remember whose impressions these were but I tend to agree.

Lush/Warm <

> Lean/Bright

6AS7G 

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #5,525 of 42,298
well that didn't post the way I had wanted but I think you get the picture

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #5,526 of 42,298
Quote:
Very nice pics! How do you compare the legendary tsrp's to what you've used in the past (and where'd you get them)?

Quote:
Please!  Elaborate on how you like that set up and how we all can share in its glory!

Quote:

Quote:
X3, please give me an excuse to order a pair.

The TSRP is clean, fast, wide bandwidth, great resolution, the best in everything. So far I am liking these more than the Shuagang CV181-Z. I must admit I have not reached the recommended 300 hour burn-in time for the Shuagang. I will complete the burn-in and compare both one day. The Sylvania/Dumont 6FD7's has a similar sound and is a distant second on my fun meter. On an aesthetic note the TSRP does not dwarf the Princess.

NOS can be found on FleaBay although a tad bit pricey.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5,528 of 42,298

Quote:
The TSRP is clean, fast, wide bandwidth, great resolution, the best in everything. So far I am liking these more than the Shuagang CV181-Z. I must admit I have not reached the recommended 300 hour burn-in time for the Shuagang. I will complete the burn-in and compare both one day. The Sylvania/Dumont 6FD7's has a similar sound and is a distant second on my fun meter. On an aesthetic note the TSRP does not dwarf the Princess.

How do you like the treble?  Is it airy sounding or more dense?  Part of the reason I refuse to buy this tube is because I'm afraid it will sound just like the t-plate tung sol with a more sweet midrange.  Which would make for a wonderful tube, but definitely not worth the money when the t-plate can be had for less than $50 usually.  The thing I dislike about the t-plate tung sol most is the boxed in sounding vocals.  They need more air to "project" so to speak so if the round plate does this then that would probably make them worth the money.  If that is what they sound like then it makes them a cross between the sylvania bad boy and the t-plate tung sol which would be the perfect tube in my opinion.  I love my bad boys to death so far, but the tung sol beats them in detail and resolution (as does the RCA greyglass now that the EML 274b is commanding them) and it'd be wonderful to have both qualities in one tube.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #5,532 of 42,298

Quote:
balderon said:

Thanks, I'm going to order a pair soon.

Shameless plug, listing my pair of Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z that I got Skylab earlier this month to fund this.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513493/fs-4-feet-feet-scscag-rca-to-rca-shuguang-treasure-cv181-z#post_6940117

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #5,533 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to order a pair soon.

Shameless plug, listing my pair of Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z that I got Skylab earlier this month to fund this.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513493/fs-4-feet-feet-scscag-rca-to-rca-shuguang-treasure-cv181-z#post_6940117

eek.gif
Aren't the TSRP about $350 A PAIR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back