Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #5,491 of 42,298

Quote:
Not sure I understood this - the 6SN7and the 6080 cannot be used interchangeably.

Sky,

You are correct, and I was in error.  It looked like the discussion was about power tubes, but it was about drivers.  In my case I got the Sylvania 7236 replacements for the RCA 6080.  And I was commenting that I did not like how the WA22 sounded with the Sylvania tubes.

Thanks for catching that.

Mike

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #5,492 of 42,298
I don't care much for the sound of the Sylvania 7236 much either.  It's a decent tube, but sounds kind of uninspiring to me.  There are much better power tubes out there for less money.  Even the cheapo RCA 6AS7G is a wonderful tube.

Quote:
  In my case I got the Sylvania 7236 replacements for the RCA 6080.  And I was commenting that I did not like how the WA22 sounded with the Sylvania tubes.  

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #5,493 of 42,298
Is there a power tube you like with the WA22?

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5,496 of 42,298
Hey guys I got a problem with my WA3+. I was listening to my WA3+ today and suddenly the Right channel went out. I turned the unit off, swapped out both 6N1P's for my Bugel Boy's and the problem persisted. I powered my unit off again and swapped the power tube out and put in a another one, but the same thing still happens. Crap what the hell went wrong!! Everything still lights up and both tubes glow. I don't get any burnt or funky smell from the unit at all.

So please any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I got it all sorted out!! I was using a cheap cable and swapped it out for another and it worked again, so that means the cable failed!!

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #5,497 of 42,298
I've noticed with both of my Grado cables if you push them in all the way into the WA6, you can get channel imbalance; just pull it out a smidge, and it's fine.  My non-Grado headphone cables don't have this problem, so I'm guessing they must be just a hair long, or oddly shaped somehow from the other brands and when using the type of plug that the WA6 has.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #5,498 of 42,298
I like GEC 6AS7G best and TS 5998 2nd best of the tubes I have.  I also have the Sylvania 7236.  Haven't used them since getting the GEC and TS tubes.

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5,500 of 42,298

Quote:
I have the WA3, which uses the same tubes as the 22.  I love the Tung-Sol 5998, the Tung-Sol 7236, and the Tung-Sol 6AS7G.

I recently swapped a set of Sylvania 7236 power tubes for a matched pair of NOS TS 7236's in my WA22, and to me I have gained a bit of smoothness and warmth but lost some upper-mid resolution. For some reason I was expecting more with the Tung Sols. Not sure yet which I prefer actually, I will give them more time to settle in, they have less than 50 hours on them. 

Maybe it has to do with the rectifier/driver tubes I am using, which are both Shuguangs. Does Shuguang make a power tube for the WA22? That would be interesting, an all-Shuguang setup. 

I am also limited on balanced cans ATM because of headphone/cable upgrading, but that will be rectified soon 
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #5,502 of 42,298
Got the 6SN7 to 6DE7 from Glenn today, the build is excellent, much better than I expected. Swap my flavor 6FD7 with the Treasure I got in earlier, excellent details and vocals but not as dynamic as 6FD7. I think I need to get used to the new sound signature.

Is it fine the Treasure touching the Sophia or EML rectifier? I'm using metal base GZ34 now to avoid they touch each other. For WA6/WA6SE owners, this adapter is a must have.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #5,503 of 42,298

Quote:
I will let you know late next week, my WA22 has a little issue. It is in Jack's magic hands now, I should get it back sometime next week.

What happened? What magic does Jack need to perform on your WA22? Will the WA22 be modded so that it will be able to fly you to the moon?
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5,504 of 42,298

What happened? What magic does Jack need to perform on your WA22? Will the WA22 be modded so that it will be able to fly you to the moon?
biggrin.gif

Both Hong Kong Post and USPS gave it a free massage that WA22 cannot handle, a loose wire cause a short. It is all set already but Jack is tighten up the parts and test it couple days before shipping back to me. It is fully modded already but I can ask Jack about fly me to the moon or better yet, fly Diana Krall to me.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #5,505 of 42,298
Hey guys, just wanted to subscribe to this thread. I just bought a Woo 6 (with Sophia) from a Head-Fi'er and wanted to keep up with all the rolling options, tips, etc.

So far I'm nothing but impressed with this piece of equipment. It is built like a tank! I seriously wasn't expecting the heftiness of it. 

The craftsmanship is fantastic though, you can tell each one is made with the highest quality in mind.

I'll snap a pic of my desk in a bit. But so far it's fitting right in...

Edit - Here's some:

And then with the light off (I love the glows):

Quality isn't too good. Used my cell phone. But it will have to do. 

(Slightly off-topic: Can anyone recommend a good starter DAC that will pair nicely with the WA6? Maybe throw a few suggestions in each range, the $100-200, 200-300, and 300-400 range. I would like to see what options I have available. I think it's better here with all the Woo experts. TIA)

I've also heard of the magical synergies with Senns HD6x0's and Grados (read the first 50 pages this morning (serious) then realized what I was doing, hah). Who knows how long it will be before I decide to take a plunge on one of those. Ah, Head-Fi, burning holes in wallets since '01. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back