Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #5,371 of 42,298
My F5 key is broken from banging on the FedEx site.  Still says it's on the truck and not recipient not home, which has happened more than once while I've waited for a package.

I wish I had something to remodel, quietly.  I've avoided even doing the dishes on the off chance I won't hear the door buzzer.

I'm starting to hate this delivery guy.  Irrational, I know.  I'm sure he's out there somewhere in the city taking a nap in the back of his truck.

Wake up, Mr. FedExMan!  Wake up!

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #5,372 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm starting to hate this delivery guy.  Irrational, I know.  I'm sure he's out there somewhere in the city taking a nap in the back of his truck.

Wake up, Mr. FedExMan!  Wake up!

You know, I'm starting to hate that FedExMan too. He's making me wait in front of my computer pressing refresh every minute just to see if you've gotten your delivery yet.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #5,376 of 42,298
Great Fisherman enjoy, it is a great amp.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5,377 of 42,298
Fisherman isn't fishing today, ehh? Congrats!

I took less than a day before I wanted to start rolling tubes. I bet it'll take less than 24 hours. Any takers?

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #5,378 of 42,298
Congrats on the amp!  Welcome to the Woo-side, young padawan. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #5,379 of 42,298
Hey, guys

I would like to share some initial feeling about Tung-sol BGRP.
However, I am totally new to tubes and this is my first trail of "tube upgrade", I have no reference, or experience to judge if this is the best 6SN7 like other pros would do.

I just put it on my WA6SE about 2~3 hours. Compare to stock GE 6EW7 came with my WA6SE, it makes me "Wow" immediately after few minutes warm up. The sound is so much more revealed, the dynamic improves a lot, and the most dramatic change is the "soundstage".  On my system and in my own feeling, the soundstage is about 20% wider and more than 50% deeper. It brings midrange right in front of me just like I am on the stage while the background music moves several meters backward than original. I can easily image there is a concert hall and every instrument has its position, not only right and left, but front and rear. 

I am not good in English and it makes me much more difficult to describe acoustic.
However, I would say Tung-sol BGRP makes the image of the sound just like watching movies from normal theater to a "3D IMAX".
The screen is much bigger and everything has its "distance".

There is always something trade-off come together as a package.
Tung-sol BGRP has less amount of bass which is definately a disaster to my HD800(comparing to my HD600, HD650).
I have ordered EML 5U4G mesh and waiting to get it, truly hope it can make up this problem.

My BGRP has another 2 issues : Microphone effect and noise.
The noise starts to appear after volume nob over 12 o'clock and keep increasing.
I tried to clear the pins of tubes, but no improvement.
Fortunately BGRP sounds louder than stock 6EW7, so I can enjoy most of the music under 10 o'clock.

As to the Microphone effect, it is quite annoying(nature of vintage tubes?).
Even I turn off the volume, I can still hear it when I touch my WA6SE.
I plan to buy something like Ensemble Tubesox, or tube rings.
Does anyone have better idea?
Thanks!

Ivan.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #5,381 of 42,298

Quote:
WOW, that is all I can say now...

Thanks, John.

Quote:
Hey dannie01. Your amp is outrageously beautiful. And those tubes! beauts! Why didn't you get the EML 300B to go with your 5U4G's?

Thanks for compliment, Clayton. I've searched for some300B reviews for those current production, 2 were most recommended, the KR and EAT are both highly praised beside the sky high priced NOS 300B. No KR can be found in my city so I go for the EAT.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #5,382 of 42,298

Quote:
Those EAT 300B tubes have glass envelopes which look exactly like the ones EML makes.   *strokes imaginary beard*

Just checked the EML website, the EML 300B Mesh looks impressive but the structure is different from the EAT. The black plate with the EAT and chrome mesh plate with the EML (the woven mesh is beautiful). Does anyone knows how's they differ?

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #5,384 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey, guys

I would like to share some initial feeling about Tung-sol BGRP.
However, I am totally new to tubes and this is my first trail of "tube upgrade", I have no reference, or experience to judge if this is the best 6SN7 like other pros would do.

I just put it on my WA6SE about 2~3 hours. Compare to stock GE 6EW7 came with my WA6SE, it makes me "Wow" immediately after few minutes warm up. The sound is so much more revealed, the dynamic improves a lot, and the most dramatic change is the "soundstage".  On my system and in my own feeling, the soundstage is about 20% wider and more than 50% deeper. It brings midrange right in front of me just like I am on the stage while the background music moves several meters backward than original. I can easily image there is a concert hall and every instrument has its position, not only right and left, but front and rear. 

I am not good in English and it makes me much more difficult to describe acoustic.
However, I would say Tung-sol BGRP makes the image of the sound just like watching movies from normal theater to a "3D IMAX".
The screen is much bigger and everything has its "distance".

There is always something trade-off come together as a package.
Tung-sol BGRP has less amount of bass which is definately a disaster to my HD800(comparing to my HD600, HD650).
I have ordered EML 5U4G mesh and waiting to get it, truly hope it can make up this problem.

My BGRP has another 2 issues : Microphone effect and noise.
The noise starts to appear after volume nob over 12 o'clock and keep increasing.
I tried to clear the pins of tubes, but no improvement.
Fortunately BGRP sounds louder than stock 6EW7, so I can enjoy most of the music under 10 o'clock.

As to the Microphone effect, it is quite annoying(nature of vintage tubes?).
Even I turn off the volume, I can still hear it when I touch my WA6SE.
I plan to buy something like Ensemble Tubesox, or tube rings.
Does anyone have better idea?
Thanks!

Ivan.

Ivan,

When did you  get that WA6SE? Only the latest 6SE can use those tubes.

Round mica has been said in rare cases to cause "Microphone effect and noise"

I have a WA6SE and two NOS pairs of TSRP (oval mica) but I wound never use them in my WA6SE.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #5,385 of 42,298
@ Cyberevo -

Yes, many vintage tubes can be pretty microphonic.  And tube dampers can help some, yes, although in my experience it does not completely cure it.  But I am not really bothered much by this. As long the tubes are not so microphonic that they make sounds unless you are touching the amp, I tend not to worry.

The noise, though, is more of a concern IF it starts at a level at which you would normally listen.  I use the TS BGRP in my Cary preamp, and I can turn the volume almost all the way up with no noise.  Yet I cannot actually listen at any level past 9:00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back