Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #5,342 of 42,298

Quote:
tube talk is like a foreign language... a very expensive foreign language. glad i cant understand it!

Welcome to Tube Talk 101. Class in now in session. I think.
smile.gif

Yes, it does get very expensive if you want. And as for learning the language: like any foreign language the first thing you should do is not let it scare you. Relax, read what you can and take in what you are able to; ask a few questions or not. Sooner or later it will start to make sense to you. But you must first be comfortable with your first language which is the stock tubes in your amp. Just listen to them for a while and get comfortable with its sound. Then move on when you're ready. Of course it always helps when you have someone to converse with! So when your WA2 arrives--kick back and enjoy the music. Then when that sexy foreign exchange student tube arrives, start listening! Hah! j/k of course.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #5,343 of 42,298

Quote:
My big problem with the metal base GZ34 and Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 were the compressed/smaller soundstage.  I listen to a lot of live music and these rectifiers just didn't have the open sound that I craved.  I get that from the Sophia Princess.

It brothers me too with compress soundstage, I only use it with Rock.  When I listen to live/acoustics, I go back to either Sophia or EML.

Quote:

You would get even more from the EML , but I am sure you have read that many times over.

EML is slightly bigger than Sophia but it is kind of too wide and become artificial when using HD800 or AKG K702 on certain recordings.

Quote:
This is definitely true with my current Mullard GZ34, but I find that with the headphones being the HD800's which has incredibly wide soundstage in the first place, that it's not an issue that is felt as much with that particular headphone.  HD800 can actually be little "too" artificially wide/open sometimes with certain songs IMO (I got this feeling with the 274B and 5U4G on my 6SE) and GZ34 helps in compress it more to not-as-weird levels for me... making it a better all rounders than usual.  Moreover I feel that they warm up and bring forward the lower midrange that can sometimes lack on it and ease up a bit on the treble, bringing it more balance.

As it was originally said it's likely a lot to do with the music selection as well.  I do listen to a bigger share of Rock/Pop, not as much acoustic/classical.  Different ideal tubes for different needs I suppose. 
smile_phones.gif

100% agree on this...it also has to do with the driver tubes.  I use WA6 with metal based GZ34 and 6FD7.  I have not try 6EW7 yet, but I'm sure it will widen the soundstage,

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #5,344 of 42,298

Quote:
Some up-date on my tube rolling. The EAT 300B just installed and tested, make sure they can light up and with sound
biggrin.gif
. But these tubes doesn't glow that much as expected, the Sophia is brighter. Also the construction has big different, Sophia with a cross shape plate in shiney chrome color and the EAT 300B as shown below, a big black plate with two strong supporting rods both in the front and back. Since the instruction mentioned it need 50-100 hrs to opens up the sound. More initial impression will be followed.
beerchug.gif

WOW, that is all I can say now...

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #5,345 of 42,298

Quote:
tube talk is like a foreign language... a very expensive foreign language. glad i cant understand it!

You will have the itch to roll very soon and it will not stop until you find the best combo.  Did anyone said "Sorry for your wallet" when you join this forum?  It is especially true once you land on this thread.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #5,346 of 42,298
Hey dannie01. Your amp is outrageously beautiful. And those tubes! beauts! Why didn't you get the EML 300B to go with your 5U4G's?

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #5,347 of 42,298

Quote:

Welcome to Tube Talk 101. Class in now in session. I think.
smile.gif

Yes, it does get very expensive if you want. And as for learning the language: like any foreign language the first thing you should do is not let it scare you. Relax, read what you can and take in what you are able to; ask a few questions or not. Sooner or later it will start to make sense to you. But you must first be comfortable with your first language which is the stock tubes in your amp. Just listen to them for a while and get comfortable with its sound. Then move on when you're ready. Of course it always helps when you have someone to converse with! So when your WA2 arrives--kick back and enjoy the music. Then when that sexy foreign exchange student tube arrives, start listening! Hah! j/k of course.
biggrin.gif

when you put it like that... lol i like sexy things.  please continue the tube talk. i guess i should check which the WA2 uses

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #5,348 of 42,298
Just placed an order for the Woo 3!
My heart really wanted me to go for the Woo 2, but $1000 is too much for me at the moment :)
I will drive my beloved HD650, and probably some DT880, 600ohm.
Any recommendation for a DAC? I use to own a Audio-GD Ref.5, and though I really liked it I'm looking for smoother and richer sound.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #5,349 of 42,298

Quote:
Just placed an order for the Woo 3!
My heart really wanted me to go for the Woo 2, but $1000 is too much for me at the moment :)
I will drive my beloved HD650, and probably some DT880, 600ohm.
Any recommendation for a DAC? I use to own a Audio-GD Ref.5, and though I really liked it I'm looking for smoother and richer sound.

you sir, are a smarter and more responsible man than i am. i shouldve got the WA3 but got the WA2. as for dacs, i cant help you. lol off the top of my head, isnt the ref 5 really good?

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #5,351 of 42,298

Quote:
you sir, are a smarter and more responsible man than i am. i shouldve got the WA3 but got the WA2. as for dacs, i cant help you. lol off the top of my head, isnt the ref 5 really good?

LOL
You see that boy in the picture, do you? :) Actually the problem is not the kid...but his mother!!
Anyway, the ref.5 is really good, but it's (too) revealing of poor recordings

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5,355 of 42,298

Quote:
L3000.gif

Thanks.  I'm thinking about going outside and sitting on the curb.  I'm so excited.

I can certainly relate to that. I usually sit by my window above the curb and wait to pounce the truck. Sort of like a leopard in wait.
biggrin.gif
You should get your WA6 area cleared and source system ready to go--interconnects and all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back