Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4,981 of 42,298
I would say the Woo 6 can handle 250 or 600 ohms.  The transformer coupled output helps the amp out with lower impedance cans, but doesn't take away its ability to drive high impedance cans.  The specs say it can handle 8-600 ohms.  On the other hand, the Woo OTL amps are listed at 30-600 ohms.

Quote:
Perfect! So the Woo 6 would be able to drive the 600 ohm version more than adequately? I'm almost positive it can, but I just need to make sure.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #4,983 of 42,298

Quote:

You still have the 6F8G , 7AF7 , 7N7 , and 6CG7/6FQ7 to experiment with. The 6F8G round plate sounds the best to me
sounding as good or better than the TungSol round plate 6SN7s for much less money.

I see some users using 6F8G tubes in their WA22s, but it never occurred to me I could give them a try.  I guess since they can replace a 6SN7 it makes sense.  By 6F8G roundplate do you mean a Tung Sol 6F8G Glenn?  If they are a match for the 6SN7 tubes and cost less it would be an interesting angle to look into.  I don't know if the larger ST bottle shape of the 6F8G would work in a WA6 though.  The Shuguang Treasure physically touches the rectifier tube when inserted according to SpudHarris so if they are any wider in diameter it would be a no go.

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4,984 of 42,298
By 6F8G roundplate do you mean a Tung Sol 6F8G?

No, there are few different US brands make roundplate. National Union is esaier to find. They are not as fat as Shuguang CV181

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4,985 of 42,298
Please do not buy the ones I am trying to get on eBay , I can not afford a lot right now. They tung sol round plates.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #4,987 of 42,298

Quote:

I see some users using 6F8G tubes in their WA22s, but it never occurred to me I could give them a try.  I guess since they can replace a 6SN7 it makes sense.  By 6F8G round plate do you mean a Tung Sol 6F8G Glenn?  If they are a match for the 6SN7 tubes and cost less it would be an interesting angle to look into.  I don't know if the larger ST bottle shape of the 6F8G would work in a WA6 though.  The Shuguang Treasure physically touches the rectifier tube when inserted according to SpudHarris so if they are any wider in diameter it would be a no go.

Seamaster is right the 6F8 is smaller than the Shuguang Treasures and will fit with no problem.
Thy were made by TungSol , National Union right now I an using a pair branded Philco with round plates not
shore who made them but thy sound good.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #4,988 of 42,298

Quote:
I guess ShuGuang Treasure CV181-Z is ok with WA6SE and I will be making the payment later today. How much different should I be expecting for a Premium A grade vs Standard grade, I mean sonically..

Love to know too but I think I will get the regular matched pair myself.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #4,989 of 42,298

Quote:

Seamaster is right the 6F8 is smaller than the Shuguang Treasures and will fit with no problem.
Thy were made by TungSol , National Union right now I an using a pair branded Philco with round plates not

I'm still shopping for a pair of 6SN7 tubes while I await your shipment. I too, would love to save some $$$. Will I be able to drop the 6F8G right in the adapters (WA6SE) you sold me? 

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #4,990 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks.  I guess the question is if a 6DE7 to 6F8G adapter is possible, though I am getting ahead of myself here.  I haven't even gotten to listen to the Bad Boys I have coming yet.  If they are as good as I hope they are I may not be wanting to buy more tubes.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #4,994 of 42,298

Quote:
Perfect! So the Woo 6 would be able to drive the 600 ohm version more than adequately? I'm almost positive it can, but I just need to make sure.
biggrin.gif

My WA6 is very dependant on tube type for driving my DT880/600's. The Treasures and 6FD7's are about the best I've come across for a decent volume, with most other tubes my Woo is almost maxxed out.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #4,995 of 42,298

Quote:

I'm still shopping for a pair of 6SN7 tubes while I await your shipment. I too, would love to save some $$$. Will I be able to drop the 6F8G right in the adapters (WA6SE) you sold me? 

No the 6F8 has one of it's grids run to the top of the tube so the adapter has a wire come out that is run to the top of the tube.
Theair is some pictures a couple of pages back of the WA22 with 6F8G tubes in it you can see what thay look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back