Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4,951 of 42,298
^^ Message sent. Thanks all!

EDIT: Received a response from Jack at Woo Audio. The 6SN7 adapters are $35/pair however they will not fit the older WA6 as they are larger than the 6DE7 cutouts.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #4,952 of 42,298

Quote:

Do you have glenn's adapters? Would you mind measuring (precision not required) the diameter of your adapter?

Glenn's adapter is 22.5mm wide at the bottom, and the older WA6 can accept one up to 25mm wide, so it fits.  I'm trying to find my hidden box of 6SN7 tubes left over from my DV336i so I can try my pair of Sylvania VT-231 with mine.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #4,953 of 42,298
Thanks HeadphoneAddict! I appreciate taking the time to measure the adapter. I have ordered a pair from Glenn and should be shipping early next week. I also have a pair of Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures on the way.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #4,954 of 42,298
balderon, you are in for a treat with the Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures when they get there. I have about 25 hours on mine and they have already matured into something very special indeed....

As a back up I just bought these and am waiting for them to cross the water, someone mentioned that the Green Label versions were up there with some of the best 6SN7's and I got these at a very good price :) Anyone else using these?

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #4,955 of 42,298
I guess that my Ken Rad VT231 is missing in transit and looking elsewhere for other tubes now. I have Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z tubes in mind but before I pull the trigger, I am curious to know whether the pair of tubes will be touching each other if fitted in a WA6SE.

Please to hear some feedbacks.

PS: I have to 6DE7 to 6SN7 adapters from Glenn.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #4,956 of 42,298

Quote:
I guess that my Ken Rad VT231 is missing in transit and looking elsewhere for other tubes now. I have Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z tubes in mind but before I pull the trigger, I am curious to know whether the pair of tubes will be touching each other if fitted in a WA6SE.

Please to hear some feedbacks.

PS: I have to 6DE7 to 6SN7 adapters from Glenn.

From the pics by SpudHarris with Treasure installed and my ex-WA6SE, seem the same chassis is use for both WA6 & WA6SE's  output unit. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #4,957 of 42,298
Quote:
balderon, you are in for a treat with the Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures when they get there. I have about 25 hours on mine and they have already matured into something very special indeed....

As a back up I just bought these and am waiting for them to cross the water, someone mentioned that the Green Label versions were up there with some of the best 6SN7's and I got these at a very good price :) Anyone else using these?

I have been happy with a pair of 6FD7's. My ears are very curious to hear the difference. The Treasures are scheduled for delivery tomorrow but Glenn does not expect to ship the adapters until sometime next week.
cool.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #4,959 of 42,298
Balderon - i was happy with the 6de7 tube types, and was happy with the wa6...
But, when i bought the t1, i couldn't find tubes that really sounded right with the headphones.
Suddenly the kicas caliente was my go to amp because of its balance and even handedness.

So, i decided to give the 6sn7 tubes a try, hoping i could eke a little better sound from the woo.
And i couldn't be happier with the results.
And i bought some middle of the road sylvania tubes to start out with.
And those are turning out to be better than any of the 6de7 tubes by far.

I think i can say this is a no brainer for anyone with a wa6 amp. The improvement is astonishing to these ears.
Let us know when your adapters arrive what you think.
And be sure to give the tubes a few hours...

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #4,960 of 42,298
Does anyone have noticeable microphonics problem with their tubes on the WA6SE?  So far, my Prototype WA6SE unit seems to be microphonic with pretty much every tubes I've tried them with (very noticeable when I touch the unit itself, or turn the volume knob), as well as giving a slight tube hum... either of which aren't really noticeable when music is on, but still annoying nonetheless with quiet pieces and when I'm changing volume and stuff.  I'm fairly certain it isn't the tubes themselves degrading since most have tested good or are NOS to my knowledge... and I never had any sorts of these problems with the WA6 unit.  Not sure if it is just my unit or just a common thing with SE units (I know many tube amps have humming/microphonic issues to a degree, it is probably likely that my previous WA6 just happened to be so quiet in those areas).

Will tube dampers help in alleviating some of these problems?  I've never played around with those before, so if anyone can refer me to a place where I can purchase them it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #4,961 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone have noticeable microphonics problem with their tubes on the WA6SE?  So far, my Prototype WA6SE unit seems to be microphonic with pretty much every tubes I've tried them with (very noticeable when I touch the unit itself, or turn the volume knob), as well as giving a slight tube hum... either of which aren't really noticeable when music is on, but still annoying nonetheless with quiet pieces and when I'm changing volume and stuff.  I'm fairly certain it isn't the tubes themselves degrading since most have tested good or are NOS to my knowledge... and I never had any sorts of these problems with the WA6 unit.  Not sure if it is just my unit or just a common thing with SE units (I know many tube amps have humming/microphonic issues to a degree, it is probably likely that my previous WA6 just happened to be so quiet in those areas).

Will tube dampers help in alleviating some of these problems?  I've never played around with those before, so if anyone can refer me to a place where I can purchase them it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

No microphonics with mine,just very very slight transformer hum nothing worth worrying about.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #4,962 of 42,298
My Woo3 seems to be very picky about certain tubes, particularly with microphonics.  I bought a series of tubes from one particular vendor, and the microphonic to non-microphonic ratio was 2:1, even though the tubes were supposedly tested for microphonics prior to shipping.

I'm not sure if this is just random chance or if my amp is really picky.

Another thing I noticed is that when I put a fresh NOS tube into the amp, it may be microphonic for the first 20 hours or so until the residual gases get removed.  However, some tubes remained microphonic after this, making me request an exchange from the vendor, much to their dismay despite the 30 day guarantee. 

If you want dampers, google Herbies audio lab.

Quote:

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #4,964 of 42,298
Yeah no hum or microphonics here but I was told that the Princess rectifier will hum after 30 minutes or so on my WA22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back