Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #4,832 of 42,298

Quote:
I can second that. Just replaced sylvania with TS yesterday on my WA22. Listened on LCD-2. I can not hear THAT many differences as Zombie_X, my impressions were mostly around lower mids - they went more on the tubey-lush side (in the good way - bit more rounded and textured), bass staying punchy (Gee, do I love LCD-2 for their bass and vocal textures).  

Nice to heard, I'm planning to get a LCD-2 after WA22 arrives.  What tubes your are using?

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #4,835 of 42,298

Quote:

Nice to heard, I'm planning to get a LCD-2 after WA22 arrives.  What tubes your are using?

EML 5U4G, now TS 7236 for power and switching between CV181 and VT99 for drivers. VT99 were meant to accent lows and smooth HD800. Now that LCD-2 do NOT need that (not that they are too dark, but lows are fine without any accents), I'm kind of in the switching mood. CV181 give more resolution and air (or seems so from more mids and highs), but somehow are not that good to my ears - somewhat hollow, if you know what I mean.  

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #4,836 of 42,298

Quote:
awesome pics, OutdoorXplorer! 
i just paid ken to start making my adapters.  can't wait to join the club! 
beerchug.gif

quick question to you experts:
ken asks whether the amp is a wa6se or wa6.
yet, the adapters are still 6de7 to 6sn7.

so, what's the fundamental difference between adapters for wa6 and wa6se???

TIA,
the wuss

The older wa6 (I have one of those) has a smaller aperture where the tubes plug in. So the adapter that Jack does will not fit. There's an Ebay seller (now a forum member) a few pages back in this thread who supplies adapters which will fit (ine are on the way).

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #4,837 of 42,298
well...   if the size of the base is the only difference, then i'll be fine either way.
my WA6 is newer, and has the larger dia. holes for fat bottle tubes...

(still curious if there are any electircal differences as OutdoorXplorer has mentioned...)

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #4,838 of 42,298
Quote:
Here is my MAXXED WA6SE with Glenn's adapters plus Green Label Sylvania NOS 6SN7 GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just paid ken to start making my adapters.  can't wait to join the club! 
beerchug.gif

Who's Ken? What is the difference between his adapters and Glenn's?

Quote:
StevieDvd said:

The older wa6 (I have one of those) has a smaller aperture where the tubes plug in. So the adapter that Jack does will not fit. There's an Ebay seller (now a forum member) a few pages back in this thread who supplies adapters which will fit (ine are on the way).

That's Glenn, right? Is Ken a different seller?

Quote:
^^^ Nice, where you guys getting these sweet tubes?  fleabay?

That's where I got this pair, for a very good price too:

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #4,839 of 42,298

Quote:
No, I didn't exchange it, I replaced it. Sold the 2 on the FS forum in 6 hours. Thanks for the tube info.

Well, I saw it only after 6 hours. Guess I'll be joining this thread.

Just bought Tungsol 5998

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #4,840 of 42,298
Hello everyone, I am new here and got my WA6SE Maxed about 2 months.

After reading first 200 pages of this thread, I got some general idea and started to dig out those mentioned tubes. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for me to find 6DE7/6EW7/6FD7 here in Taiwan...

Should I contact Glenn and go directly to 6SN7? please kindly advise.
Any comment will be highly appreciated, thank you!

Another irrelevant and stupid question, where can i edit my signature? nothing in My Profile shows here...
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #4,843 of 42,298
Ken also sounds like Glenn really late in the evening. So it's an easy slip of course!

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4,844 of 42,298
I'm 5 minutes into listening to my new WA2, and so far it's  
smily_headphones1.gif
.  I'm using the stock tubes for now but it's still pretty darn good, although there is a slight hum while the music is paused.  I'm looking forward to letting it break in over the weekend with the stock tubes.  I'm planning on picking up some new IC's and power cables, so I want to wait until everything is stable before I start rolling tubes.
smile.gif

Here's a crappy picture taken with my Blackberry.  I love how it matches my PS Audio DL III DAC and UPC-200 power conditioner.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4,845 of 42,298
Glenn beat me to it, but just to reiterate the regular WA6 adapter doesn't have any resistor or capacitor in it at all.  The extra parts in the SE version resolve a compatibility issue specific to that amp which would otherwise shorten the life of the 6SN7 tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back