Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 26, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #42,181 of 42,298
What sounds better to most folks ears, plugging their WA22 directly into the wall, or into a power conditioner first? I’ve had my Woo going directly into an AQ Niagara conditioner for a couple of years, and I’m not sure if the difference that I’m hearing is more openness and a less compressed soundstage when the WA22 is plugged into its own isolated wall socket? I’m not sure
This can depend on many things, not the least of which is your baseline power "cleanliness" and the sensitivity of your equipment to clean power. Also, the power cables you use (in particular from the Niagara to the wall) play a larger role than you'd think (or hope). In my system, I consider my conditioners/regenerators and power cables some of the most important components - purely off of subjective improvement. If you have a Niagara, I've found that AQ cables match with it the best (which is NOT the case in my PS Audio PowerPlant), and I also find that most of AQ's power cables are "meh" until you hit the Thunder and above.

For reference, I have PS Audio PowerPlant P3 as well as an AQ Niagara 3000, have owned (or currently own) every AQ cable from Blizzard to Hurricane, as well as other cables from ~$60 - $1,650, and have spent lots of time A/B-ing them.

Power conditioners and cables absolutely make a difference, but how much, how much you care, and whether you find it worthwhile can vary a ton from person to person and system to system.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #42,182 of 42,298
...Power conditioners and cables absolutely make a difference, but how much, how much you care, and whether you find it worthwhile can vary a ton from person to person and system to system.

Well said. That is the bottom line for me as well.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #42,183 of 42,298
I am glad that you did the experiment. I did the same thing and could not hear the difference, may be we have old ears. In my opinion, it is a waste of money that we should invest in tubes. I can tell the differences right away when i change tubes in my WA22.
@VanHai, the real test will come tonight after everyone has gone to bed, then I’ll plug the WA22 back into my AQ power conditioner and listen more closely for any qualitative improvements. It shouldn’t be too difficult because where we live it is impossibly quiet. You can hear a red squirrel’s heartbeat from 10ft away.

The tubes were costing me money up until I found a combination that sounds just right. I haven’t rolled any in over a year.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #42,184 of 42,298
@azvargulis, I use an AQ Thunder power cable with my Niagara 1200 because I believe they have good synergy together. Luckily all of our electrical and fiber optic cables are buried and have a very stable output. IMO having clean power is the key to being able hear everything possible on any given recording.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #42,185 of 42,298
IMO having clean power is the key to being able hear everything possible on any given recording.

I couldn't possibly agree more. The baseline good power sets is something I have come to believe is fundamental to getting the most out of a high end system. To be clear, I went into the whole power thing as a massive skeptic, but hearing is believing, and I would downgrade several other parts of my system before I was willing to downgrade my power gear.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #42,186 of 42,298
@VanHai, the real test will come tonight after everyone has gone to bed, then I’ll plug the WA22 back into my AQ power conditioner and listen more closely for any qualitative improvements. It shouldn’t be too difficult because where we live it is impossibly quiet. You can hear a red squirrel’s heartbeat from 10ft away.

The tubes were costing me money up until I found a combination that sounds just right. I haven’t rolled any in over a year.
I currently have these tubes in my WA22 and like them very much. Have not rolled them in about 4 or 5 months. Tung-Sol 5998, Melz 1578 and Mullard GZ37.

PXL_20231026_203614873 (2).jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #42,187 of 42,298
I currently have these tubes in my WA22 and like them very much. Have not rolled them in about 4 or 5 months. Tung-Sol 5998, Melz 1578 and Mullard GZ37.

PXL_20231026_203614873 (2).jpg
The USAF 596 rectifier keeps on singing with the Tung-Sol 5998’s and the Sylvania 6SN7’s in my WA22. If you think my amplifier is dusty, then you should see the rest of our house. Damn lazy cleaning staff.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #42,188 of 42,298
@azvargulis, I use an AQ Thunder power cable with my Niagara 1200 because I believe they have good synergy together. Luckily all of our electrical and fiber optic cables are buried and have a very stable output. IMO having clean power is the key to being able hear everything possible on any given recording.
I my area all electrical and fiber optic cables are buried under ground also. I just wonder do they have any impact to the clean power?. My voltage constantly between 122 to 123 volt and i never see it goes bellow that.

Oct 26, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #42,189 of 42,298
I owned a WA22, which I plugged directly into a dedicated wall socket that I had installed years before I had the WA-22. It seemed to work fine and never experimented with power conditioners. I now own a WA5-LE V2 which I now use with an Emotive EMX-2 line conditioner because of a recommendation from another Head-Fier, ColSaulTigh. I don't know all of the magic or voodoo about such stuff, but all I can tell you is that it works. I also have a TWL(Triode Wire Labs) power cable connecting the WA5-LE to the Emotiva. It works for me and together they don't cost an arm and a leg! YMMV

Oct 26, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #42,190 of 42,298
I my area all electrical and fiber optic cables are buried under ground also. I just wonder do they have any impact to the clean power?. My voltage constantly between 122 to 123 volt and i never see it goes bellow that.
I live in an area where all power lines are above ground and I think that there is a lot of interference and that I have “dirty” power.
Late at night when a lot of appliances etc are off I think that my system sounds better.

Oct 26, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #42,191 of 42,298
I live in an area where all power lines are above ground and I think that there is a lot of interference and that I have “dirty” power.
Late at night when a lot of appliances etc are off I think that my system sounds better.
I think you are right, the heat, the cold and the wind do have impacts on the electric current. By buried the cables underground give them more stability and less dirty than above the ground.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #42,192 of 42,298
I owned a WA22, which I plugged directly into a dedicated wall socket that I had installed years before I had the WA-22. It seemed to work fine and never experimented with power conditioners. I now own a WA5-LE V2 which I now use with an Emotive EMX-2 line conditioner because of a recommendation from another Head-Fier, ColSaulTigh. I don't know all of the magic or voodoo about such stuff, but all I can tell you is that it works. I also have a TWL(Triode Wire Labs) power cable connecting the WA5-LE to the Emotiva. It works for me and together they don't cost an arm and a leg! YMMV
Whenever I've mentioned power conditioning to the people who design and make these amps the response is unanimously: it doesn't matter and we don't recommend it.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #42,193 of 42,298
Whenever I've mentioned power conditioning to the people who design and make these amps the response is unanimously: it doesn't matter and we don't recommend it.
That's one of the biggest mysteries for me.
Power conditioning is so obvious and easily noteable, unlike changing cables and yet these manufacturers offer internal wire upgrades but say power conditioning doesn't make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back