Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 5, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #39,197 of 42,298

These two mice jumped over WA22 and now sitting on the WA5, they enjoyed the new home with fun ......
biggrin.gif

And managed to post back at WA5 First Impression, summary for my impression on the WA5
L3000.gif

Show Time! Lets Rock & Roll!
popcorn.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #39,200 of 42,298
Any word on the WA22-SE prototype? Seems like it has gone back into hiding for further improvements? Haven't really heard about it being at any of the shows.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #39,201 of 42,298
Any word on the WA22-SE prototype? Seems like it has gone back into hiding for further improvements? Haven't really heard about it being at any of the shows.

It will make another appearance at CanJam SoCal in April. By then, we should have the sound finalized. 

http://www.canjamglobal.com/socal2017

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #39,202 of 42,298

I think I am going to hear a prototype later on this month. If you want I can post some impressions.

Also have any of the WA5/LE owners have posted any comparisons of try to compare WU4GB (SS rectifier) vs other more expensive rectifiers like WE-274, WE-422 or TA-274?

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #39,205 of 42,298
  If you have any time can you post impressions of WE-274 vs other rectifiers please.

Yes, that is in my original plan, I am going to compare the WE274A with many other rectifier tubes on my WA5, some of my collection in the list - WE422A, Marconi/ Osram/ GEC/ Mullard/ NU 5U4G, TS 5U4G (top sliver square getter), USF596, GZ34 (metal base). And the very special Globe WE274A ......
tongue.gif

Keep checking the PROJECT WA5+++ thread for my latest impression .....
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #39,206 of 42,298
  I think I am going to hear a prototype later on this month. If you want I can post some impressions.

Also have any of the WA5/LE owners have posted any comparisons of try to compare WU4GB (SS rectifier) vs other more expensive rectifiers like WE-274, WE-422 or TA-274?

I have three sets of rectifiers for my WA5.  They are Brimar 5Z4GY, SE-274 and the WU4GB.  I also have the Stock Shuguang but they are basically just glass and air taking up space.  For me the WU4GB are a glass half full type of thing.  The full part is that the noise floor is reduced to almost nothing.  The WA5 is dead silent with the SS rectifiers installed.  The empty part is that the amp becomes somewhat clinical and dry losing some of the characteristic warmth of a tube amp.  I have a SS amp in the Cavalli Liquid Gold switching back and forth as the mood suits.  So after a few weeks the Sophia's went back in.  The Brimar's are held in high regard by some here.  I bought them as a backup to the Sophia's but after about 20 hours I could not hear a superior difference.  Perhaps I did not give them enough time.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #39,207 of 42,298
Can I join? I have not receive my amp yet.

Howdy ,

I just ordered my WA22 a few days ago and unfortunately I have been collecting tubes without knowing anything about them and I have been using Ebay which is a very bad idea.

Anyway, I am very excited about this new adventure in the audio world.
I am currently using a Wadia 122 DAC fully balanced and I will feed the WA22 a fully balanced signal and then I will feed the latest version of the HD800 S series a balanced diet.

Mostly classical strings and female voices but I also like almost every type of music except rap music.
I hope that everyone will welcome my own experiences and thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Happy Listening,

TL

Living in Audio Hell.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #39,208 of 42,298
Howdy ,

I just ordered my WA22 a few days ago and unfortunately I have been collecting tubes without knowing anything about them and I have been using Ebay which is a very bad idea.

I am currently using a Wadia 122 DAC fully balanced and I will feed the WA22 a fully balanced signal and then I will feed the latest version of the HD800 S series a balanced diet.

Mostly classical strings and female voices but I also like almost every type of music except rap music.
I hope that everyone will welcome my own experiences and thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Happy Listening,

TL

Living in Audio Hell.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Congrats,

WA22 will suit your gear very well.

Ask questions here if you have any. Great bunch of members:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826386/woo-audio-wa22-amp-owner-unite

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #39,209 of 42,298

Can I join? I have not receive my amp yet.

Howdy ,

Happy Listening,

TL

Living in Audio Hell.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

As a fellow classical lover (a violinist), you will want the NU/TS variants. For the WA22 I'm sure Badas can tell you exactly what to get.

Also, for me, with the WA6, I cannot agree with the comments of the copper caps being lifeless. I find them very resolving, with great noise floor. Improvements in noise floor lead to better perceived dynamics, and for me, maybe it's different on the WA5, the TS/NU 6F8G give such warmth and color to music, that I don't think it needs any more. Certainly the U52 that I have is a great tube, and does present an incredible landscape focused on the liquidity of the middle, but for the cost, it would be difficult to justify it when the copper caps have things going for them as well.

Obviously the WA6 does not pull from the rectifiers like the WA5 does, so much of it might just be the design and how important the rectifiers are to each amp.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #39,210 of 42,298
Thank you very much but I don't have a clue!

The Wadia sounds great but the power seems lacking for the 800 S series single ended.

I am hoping that the WA22 will bring back my love affair with my old 600's and the RKV2 German tubed amp.

They are really hard to find used and the RKV3 is too expensive.

On a different note I was wondering if a dual mono block headphone amp existed and suddenly I fell in love with Woo's top of the line !

Better than a girlfriend I am certain !

Can anyone please help me identify these 5998 tubes?

United National never existed but National Union yes.

Made in England my butt ! Closer to Moscow probably!

Absolutely like new.

Seller's description:

"UNITED NATIONAL 6AS7G TUBES, BLACK PLATE, MADE IN ENGLAND

THIS IS OUR FifTH PAIR OF UNITED NATIONAL 6AS7G TUBES FOR SALE.   THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED WITH HICKOK 539C AND MERCURY 1200 MUTUAL CONDUCTANCE TUBE TESTERS.

AND TEST:   1.   103% / 104%

2.  102% / 102%

WITH     2100    BEING   NOS  OR  100%  

A CLOSE MATCH AND ALSO TEST NOS!  EXTREMELY GOOD BUILD QUALITY,TUBES.

BOTH TUBES HAVE MATCHED CODES ON THE BASES. POSSIBLY BY MULLARD OR GENELEX.

HARD TO FIND WITH THESE HIGH READINGS AND MATCHED."

Forgot to mention the lying Saucers !

Mullard not likely.

Thank You Kindly,

TL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back