Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #39,136 of 42,298

Yeah... I was thinking the same.

Reading recent posts that are of the form: "...buy a WA5 or a WA22 if you are willing to compromise..."; which sort of implies that everything else is worthless.

I don't know... makes me wonder.

Let's talk about C/P - Cost Performance ratio, an interesting equation, does it make any sense to you?

$WA234 = 3 x $WA5 = 3 x 3 x $WA22 = 3 x 3 x 2 x $WA6 SE/ $WA2 = 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 x $WA6/ $WA3

If the universe were in such uniform & simplicity beauty, the equation implied that a WA234 delivers about 36 times "better sonic" than a WA6/WA3, just can't imagine that is the truth.

I run from WA6 SE to WA22 and now the WA5, it took me about 3 years time, and every time I thought it worth the upgrade.

Even though I have the WA5, my WA6 SE still sounds dynamic, WA22 still delivers gentle & euphonic sonic perhaps now in a relatively nice C/P. Afterall, that is somewhat a subjective matter, just always stay at the point feeling most comfortable ...
popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #39,137 of 42,298

I started out with the intention of just buying a basic WA7 Fireflies.  I ended up emailing Woo Audio about four times, each time changing my order. I ended up with a fully maxed WA5-LE!  Oh, and if you do go the tube/valve route - don't under estimate the price of good quality tubes.  I was warned about this aspect, but didn't fully appreciate it at the time.  I've had my WA5-LE two years now and I've spent more on tubes (and still going) than on the amp itself.  Consider yourself warned 
smile.gif
  (there really should be an emoji with two tubes sticking out of its head where its ears should be!).

Same story here, intended to get the fireflies. A few emails later I was buying a maxed out WA5 (I mean get it done the first time, buy the speaker posts too cause some day you're gonna want to try that right?). There's cheap and there's expensive tubes. I'm afraid to total up what I spent. Quite a bit more than I intended. Maybe some Taks will show up next year some time...

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #39,138 of 42,298
  This hobby is a money blackhole, you will never come back

Tell me about it, I just bought a DAC today. My most expensive audio purchase ever. A Lampizator Atlantic. I feel excited and sick all at the same time. I"m also concerned the rest of my equipment will now need to be upgraded... 
eek.gif

Some of my Mac gear has actually gone up in price since I bought it though.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #39,145 of 42,298
  This hobby is a money blackhole, you will never come back

So true, although:

1. I once purchased a mint condition Marantz 8b amp and 7c preamp at estate sale for $200 and sold them that evening to a collector for $1800

2. I bought a mint pair of Air Tight tube amps for $4500 and sold them five years later for $6000, having thoroughly enjoyed them

3. Since I buy used where I can, I can usually recoup the cost, though I rarely make money. It's only when I buy new that I've taken a bath. Buying used, looking for deals, I've effectively been able to rent the gear for very little money.

I've lost money on buying new DACs and selling them a few years later, CD players, and buying tubes from less than stellar vendors. Otherwise, I've done o.k. Finally, buy really good cable used, and never sell it, even if you take a break from hi fi.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #39,146 of 42,298
Agreed. Buying good used from sites such as this (and for me Canuck Audio Mart http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/) is the way to go. I purchased a decent phono stage a couple of years ago, listed it last night and had it sold in 30 mins for the same price I bought it for. You'll always lose money though on anything "tech related" - CD players, DAC's, phones, portable players, etc. Sometimes you just "need" that latest technology though :wink:

The older McIntosh amps if in good condition sell for more than their original price - and in some cases we're talking about 50 year old technology!

Yes - you'll also take a hit on tubes from less than stellar vendors - and also from very reputable vendors. The reputable vendors have marked up prices (for a reason) and you'll never be able to sell privately what you paid for those tubes.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #39,147 of 42,298
  Thanks for everyone's responses. Against everyone's recommendations, I'm gonna start with a WA6SE because someone here had one used.
gs1000.gif
 Still super excited. Now need some of that HD800 goodness.

May I suggest looking at the Fostex TH900?  I prefer it over the HD800.  I think it is more enjoyable to listen to than the HD800 for all music genres.  IMO...

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #39,150 of 42,298
Try c3g tube, with the adapter (Woo or Glenn, I recommend Glenn's), I find C3g to give the most transparent sound, allowing those 300Bs to shine.  Although the Brimar rectifers will be your bottle neck though, that is on the darker side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back