Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 2, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #39,121 of 42,298

I'd talk you into a WA22 or a WA5, but not a 6SE or 2. While I liked my 6SE, it didn't have the punch that the WA22 and WA5 have. Yes, they are more expensive but buying used cushions the blow.

If I did the Violectric, I'd save my money for a V281. You've got some nice headphones, time to feed them properly.

Don't do me like that. I was trying to resist the WA22—and the black is so beautiful. Let me ask you this: is it "if you give a mouse a cookie" with Woo amps? If I get the WA6SE, will I end up going up the food-chain to the WA5?

I've read some of those WA2/WA22 reviews. It's super enticing but are the gains commensurate with the cost? Ahh, I hope there are some WA22's for sale! 
blink.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #39,122 of 42,298
  I've been wavering between a some solid state amps (Cavalli LC 2.0, Schiit Jotunheim, Violectric HPA V200) because of their "warmth" but I'm also considering the Woo Audio side of things mainly the WA2 and WA6SE. I saw a really old comparison thread, is there anyone in this thread that has compared them? I'm driving Ether C Flows, LCD-2F, and on occasion HE-560. Hoping to add a HD800 fairly soon as well. Talk me into Woo Audio amp? 
bigsmile_face.gif

I like Cavalli amps better, they are somehow more engaging, hard to explain. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #39,123 of 42,298
  Don't do me like that. I was trying to resist the WA22—and the black is so beautiful. Let me ask you this: is it "if you give a mouse a cookie" with Woo amps? If I get the WA6SE, will I end up going up the food-chain to the WA5?

I've read some of those WA2/WA22 reviews. It's super enticing but are the gains commensurate with the cost? Ahh, I hope there are some WA22's for sale! 
blink.gif

Yes, many life examples right here, and I am about to repeat the same story. If you decide to go with a Woo product, pick a WA22 (WA22 SE), then the WA5 or WA234 later, that is the way to go and welcome to the party ...... LOL

Also suggest to check the wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons chart for further information.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #39,125 of 42,298
If you like romantic and slow sounding amp WA22 is all yours.

That is what I thought about the 6SE. The WA22 was not nearly as romantic or slow but it needs a balanced source to shine. Running balanced HP cables also helps.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #39,126 of 42,298
That is what I thought about the 6SE. The WA22 was not nearly as romantic or slow but it needs a balanced source to shine. Running balanced HP cables also helps.

I had Meridian G08.1 at the time used balanced output, and I was using LCD2 with ALO reference 8 balanced cable (was a prototype at the time) and H650 balanced, Grado RS-1 SE, T1 G1 SE, and tested with HD800 balanced. My WA22 was special ordered with no RCAs but all balanced inputs with preamp function. WA22 had transparency issue also, I had to replace the caps on mine. WA22 with all the tubes will cost you quickly over $3000 or more. You can get better amps else where for that kind of money. I had my WA22 maxed out on tubes, GEC 6AS7G, Mullard CV181, Brimar CV1988, TS 6F8G round plates, and GEC U52, that did not help too much to a point I wanted to keep mine.

After all that work, one day I heard the Cavalli liquid fire, I felt stupid to spend a lots of money on WA22. I could get a much better amp form get go, the LF only had JJ tube at the time and in pre-production stage.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #39,127 of 42,298
Sea master, I agree that $3k is silly to put into a WA22 when a used WA5 with factory upgraded caps and parts can be had at that price. My WA22 has upgraded caps, which may explain my impressions.

BTW, I find the LCD2 to be darker and less dynamic than the LCDX and LCD3, perhaps that may explain any impressions.

I found the HD650 to be an ideal match with the WA22; the LCD3 not so much but it loves the WA5

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #39,128 of 42,298
I find the LCD3 to be an ideal match with the WA22 with the correct power tubes (Tung Sol 5998, 6BL7, etc).

For $3K you get a completely maxed out new WA22. How much do you need to spend on a completely maxed out new WA5? Those top of the line 300B tubes are not cheap.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #39,129 of 42,298
If you like romantic and slow sounding amp WA22 is all yours.

The WA22 is generally in a more "richness" sonic vs my WA6 SE though I have not made any serious comparsion with other SS AMPs.

I found my WA22 can behave in various characters via tube rolling. A typical configuation with the GEC 6SA7G/ TSRP/ GEC 5U4G giving a gently smooth & romantic soft presents, while WE 421A/ TS 5998 with SYMB 6SN7 and TS VT244/ USF 596 on the other hand,can be in a sense of aggressive,high-contrast,dynamic and speedy.

I may not necessarily love all the possible effect from these many vary tube combinations , but I enjoyed that rolling game on WA22, that is the beauty of WA22 and let it be a keeper IMHO.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #39,130 of 42,298
Just for consideration, those who have owned the WA6 and WA6SE mostly say that the WA6 has more potential, due to being about to use better tubes. For me, the WA6 is an incredible amp with a copper cap for rectification, and Tung Sol 6F8G as power/driver tubes. I can only speculate on how it compares to the WA22, so I won't comment. But I would not personally consider the WA6SE, only the WA6.

edit: Also, I have my schiit Modi Multibit. Previously had a SMSL M8. I think at this price point, I cannot do better. The thing sounds incredible. Everything is simply better. There is better tonal accuracy, and even pitch accuracy. I notice things out of tune in symphonies I've listened to a hundred times that I never have before.

I know this isn't a thread for dacs, but just wanted to report that with the WA6, everything is better, smoother, in all ranges, more dynamic. Seems to be an incredible pair with the WA6.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #39,131 of 42,298
  I've been wavering between a some solid state amps (Cavalli LC 2.0, Schiit Jotunheim, Violectric HPA V200) because of their "warmth" but I'm also considering the Woo Audio side of things mainly the WA2 and WA6SE. I saw a really old comparison thread, is there anyone in this thread that has compared them? I'm driving Ether C Flows, LCD-2F, and on occasion HE-560. Hoping to add a HD800 fairly soon as well. Talk me into Woo Audio amp? 
bigsmile_face.gif

I started out with the intention of just buying a basic WA7 Fireflies.  I ended up emailing Woo Audio about four times, each time changing my order. I ended up with a fully maxed WA5-LE!  Oh, and if you do go the tube/valve route - don't under estimate the price of good quality tubes.  I was warned about this aspect, but didn't fully appreciate it at the time.  I've had my WA5-LE two years now and I've spent more on tubes (and still going) than on the amp itself.  Consider yourself warned 
smile.gif
  (there really should be an emoji with two tubes sticking out of its head where its ears should be!).

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #39,132 of 42,298
bigsmile_face.gif

@CAAAAARLO I've owned or tried most of the amps that you list as candidates for your purchase.  Out of all of the SS amps I liked the Violectric V200 the best.  On that note, I was never fully satisfied with the audio quality of most of these amps.  Not that they are bad but there was something missing.  I wanted more....

Of course YMMV.  This hobby is so subjective and everyone has different ears and brains.  The audio path between the ears is unpredictable.

I started out with the intention of just buying a basic WA7 Fireflies.  I ended up emailing Woo Audio about four times, each time changing my order. I ended up with a fully maxed WA5-LE!  Oh, and if you do go the tube/valve route - don't under estimate the price of good quality tubes.  I was warned about this aspect, but didn't fully appreciate it at the time.  I've had my WA5-LE two years now and I've spent more on tubes (and still going) than on the amp itself.  Consider yourself warned 
smile.gif
  (there really should be an emoji with two tubes sticking out of its head where its ears should be!).

I had a similar experience as @TontNZ.  I started out with the intent to buy a lower end system and ended up with the WA5-LE.  I was never satisfied with the sound fully with all of the other gear before I purchased the WA5. If you look around you can find great deals on tubes that cuts down on that aspect of owning tubes.  You just have to be patient.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #39,135 of 42,298
  This hobby is a money blackhole, you will never come back

Yeah... I was thinking the same.

Reading recent posts that are of the form: "...buy a WA5 or a WA22 if you are willing to compromise..."; which sort of implies that everything else is worthless.

I don't know... makes me wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back