Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 6, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #36,286 of 42,299
  It is not, though I have a few of the 5Z4G tubes as well. This is the second tube listed in dubstepgirl's rectifier thread. It is really, really good. I had the 5Z4G in for some time before getting a used U52 for about 150 bucks. At that price, I doubt it can be beat. And I start to wonder how much better a maxed WA5 would be than a maxed WA6. One of these days I'll make it to a meet and maybe get to see.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread#post_10053310

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of the Brimar U52.
I often wonder myself about how much better a WA5/LE sounds compared to a WA6…maxed or not.
I actually liked the WA6 more than the WA6-SE.
If you ever get the opportunity to hear the 5/LE, please fill me in on your impressions.
I have a feeling we're going to be in some trouble for wondering about this. 
confused_face.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #36,287 of 42,299
Hi,

I'm curious why Glen's are the best?  This is a sincere question as I haven't seen his adapter.  What's the price?

I've been using Woo Audio's and it seems pretty good.

Cheers,
-H

Woos are great also.
Just Glenn has an extra bit of quality.
But they all work well. At least I've had no issues with any include ones from eBay.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #36,288 of 42,299
Woos are great also.
But they all work well. At least I've had no issues with any include ones from eBay.

I found Woo's 596 adapter to be very shallow and lose fitting on the top pins, while Glenn's had much more depth and a firmer fit. I do like Woo's 6SN7>6DE7 adapters though, they are really nice.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #36,289 of 42,299

Woos are great also.

I found Woo's 596 adapter to be very shallow and lose fitting on the top pins, while Glenn's had much more depth and a firmer fit. I do like Woo's 6SN7>6DE7 adapters though, they are really nice.

I have always found Glenn's adapters to be highly reliable. I have them for the 596's and for the RK-60's. Firm fit without being so tight I worry about breaking something.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #36,290 of 42,299
Glenn's adapters also reject noise better, especially the 6f8g adapters where Woo uses very thin wire compare to thicker more insulated one that Glenn uses.  Also on the aesthetic side, Glenn 6f8g adapter has the cable correctly oriented so you can have it arc up behind the tube instead of having to curve around like Woo.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #36,291 of 42,299
  Glenn's adapters also reject noise better, especially the 6f8g adapters where Woo uses very thin wire compare to thicker more insulated one that Glenn uses.  Also on the aesthetic side, Glenn 6f8g adapter has the cable correctly oriented so you can have it arc up behind the tube instead of having to curve around like Woo.

+1

I have an amp made by Glenn, I swear the back round is dark as midnight with all the tubes I use....noise is a non factor with adapters and the amp in general.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #36,294 of 42,299
I often wonder myself about how much better a WA5/LE sounds compared to a WA6…maxed or not.
If you ever get the opportunity to hear the 5/LE, please fill me in on your impressions.
I have a feeling we're going to be in some trouble for wondering about this. 
confused_face.gif

No comparsion

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #36,295 of 42,299

It is not, though I have a few of the 5Z4G tubes as well. This is the second tube listed in dubstepgirl's rectifier thread. It is really, really good. I had the 5Z4G in for some time before getting a used U52 for about 150 bucks. At that price, I doubt it can be beat. And I start to wonder how much better a maxed WA5 would be than a maxed WA6. One of these days I'll make it to a meet and maybe get to see.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread#post_10053310

I have a feeling we're going to be in some trouble for wondering about this. :confused_face:

No comparison. WA5/LE is much much bigger sounding.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #36,296 of 42,299
No comparison. WA5/LE is much much bigger sounding.
No comparsion

I didn't think the 5/LE could compare to the WA6…thanks for verifying this. 
biggrin.gif

I'm sure the 5/LE is better, but I was just wondering how much better, thanks.
I'm waiting on a BHSE for my 009 and if I'm not thrilled with the combo maybe I'll try the WA22 or the WA5 or the 5LE being I do love my WA6. I would probably try the WA22 because I have the tubes for it besides the power tubes.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #36,297 of 42,299
  I didn't think the 5/LE could compare to the WA6…thanks for verifying this. 
biggrin.gif

I'm sure the 5/LE is better, but I was just wondering how much better, thanks.
I'm waiting on a BHSE for my 009 and if I'm not thrilled with the combo maybe I'll try the WA22 or the WA5 or the 5LE being I do love my WA6. I would probably try the WA22 because I have the tubes for it besides the power tubes.

Well depending on your selection of headphones would determine how match the amp. The WA5 certainly does well with low and high impedance phones, plus if you choose the 009 it will drive them well with the wee exciter. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #36,298 of 42,299
  Well depending on your selection of headphones would determine how match the amp. The WA5 certainly does well with low and high impedance phones, plus if you choose the 009 it will drive them well with the wee exciter. 

No, I'm waiting for my BHSE to arrive. If I was to purchase another Woo amp it would probably be the WA22. I'm very happy with my WA6 for quite sometime now. If it turns out the BHSE/009 isn't for me, I might consider another Woo amp. or just be content with what I already have.

Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #36,299 of 42,299
The step up to those big tubes- whether 2a3, 300b or 445- is likely to be very noticeable over both the WA6 and WA22. Given you're going for a totl bhse, I'd probably pump for the wa5 if I were you.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #36,300 of 42,299
The step up to those big tubes- whether 2a3, 300b or 445- is likely to be very noticeable over both the WA6 and WA22. Given you're going for a totl bhse, I'd probably pump for the wa5 if I were you.

Although I purchased a quad matched set of NOS Amperex EL34's for the BHSE, the thing that concerns me about the WA5/LE is the prices for good NOS tubes...at least the ones the guys here speak highly of. I'll see how things turn out with the BHSE-009 combo for a while before anything.

Thank you.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back