Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #36,274 of 42,298
Similar I think but 6f8/6c8 sound a bit more snappy with a wider sound stage
Prefer the 6c8 for extra gain tho

It seems like all the 6F8g / 6C8g's have that wider holographic soundstage. It is what grabbed me the most.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #36,278 of 42,298

By all accounts, the Taks are the best on the market.  I really like the sound of the Elrog/GZ pairing.  Having not heard the Taks, I can't compare.  But my suspicion is that we're playing with that last 5%.  I don't expect revolutionary new dimensions to the WA5LE (I just got the new version a few weeks ago) with the Taks.  I expect an incremental improvement.

The metal base GZ34 has always been my favorite rectifier.  I've had them in 3 different tube amps and no matter which rectifier I've tried, including the Sophias, EML, and 596s, I always have returned to the metal base GZ34.  There's more bass impact and depth with the stubby 34 than any other big bottle tubes i've auditioned, and they're crystal clear on passages that are quiet where the soundstage opens up wide.  

I don't doubt that the Taks are the better tubes, I just don't expect them to be massively better, just a small tick.

I've been very lucky with my Elrogs.  Lots of reports of failures.  These sound very good.

It's difficult to say which I'd part with regarding the WA or Chord TT.  My answer would be which source do you prefer?  If you play mostly LPs, I'd want the WA5LE.  If you are mostly digital, the TT is definitely the way to go.  DSD files through the Chord TT is the best source setup I've ever heard for a digital path-- the WA5LE is a bit of overkill (though perfectly enjoyable).  

I will get to those Taks someday.  But if going full Tak (300B and 274) is a $3000 dollar investment for a 5% improvement, it's difficult to justify.  The $2900 I spent on the TT made a much greater improvement to my sound setup.  

Plus-- finding a perfect matching pair of metal base GZ34s was expensive enough.  Be careful with the matching pairs.  There's a set on eBay right now that are NOT a matching pair, though the seller is claiming they are.  Learn how to read the factory stamp (plenty of info if you Google a bit)  They're from different years and different batches.  The seller claims they test the same, but I doubt they sound identical.

I can only compare to 274b/a WE- I think these adds a depth of layers to the sound- more expansive and dynamic however the metal gz34 seems a little more transparent in comparison.  In the WA22 I think the difference is a little more obvious than with 300b power tubes using amps like the WA5- though it is apparent there too.  Yeah, I think that's been my experience.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #36,279 of 42,298
Glen's are best but I used these http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281854965335
Worked fine.

Hi,

I'm curious why Glen's are the best?  This is a sincere question as I haven't seen his adapter.  What's the price?

I've been using Woo Audio's and it seems pretty good.

Cheers,
-H

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #36,280 of 42,298
  Hi,

I'm curious why Glen's are the best?  This is a sincere question as I haven't seen his adapter.  What's the price?

I've been using Woo Audio's and it seems pretty good.

Cheers,
-H

With the 6F8G adapters and the 596 adapter, Glenn's fit much more securely on the top of the 6F8G's and on the two rods of the 596 making much better contact IMO/IME.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #36,282 of 42,298
  Agreed.

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #36,283 of 42,298
I had a pair of ebay adapters for several months before getting Glenn's. Glenn's just look better, and could withstand more punishment I think. Not that any of us really plan on punishing our equipment, but things just happen. But the ebay adapters worked very well. And they save you a bit of cash too.

Finally got the headphone jack in, Woo's customer support was very good, and linked me to a replacement that cost about 1 dollar. Cheapest repair ever, although the part does look like they are making a profit off of the dollar they charged me. At first, I tried to resolder using the solder on the wires, but something doesn't sound right. I don't think I had enough solder to really make a good connection once I moved it to where it needed to go, so I'm waiting on some cardas quad.

Once I had it apart, it became quite obvious that whoever had it before me messed around a good bit, trying to do who knows what. Lots of scratching all around the screw holes. Makes me wonder what he replaced or did. I'll probably never know, mostly I cannot wait to get the amp going again. I do love reading about the takatsuki, but it would be really hard to justify putting a 900 dollar rectifier into an amp that isn't 900 even if you add in the Tung Sols. Then again, I'm not sure that I'll ever upgrade amps. Hard decision to make. The Brimar U52 I've got in is really nice too. Whether the tak is much better would be really interesting. I'm sure it is, but it can't be too much of an improvement.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #36,284 of 42,298
  I had a pair of ebay adapters for several months before getting Glenn's. Glenn's just look better, and could withstand more punishment I think. Not that any of us really plan on punishing our equipment, but things just happen. But the ebay adapters worked very well. And they save you a bit of cash too.

Finally got the headphone jack in, Woo's customer support was very good, and linked me to a replacement that cost about 1 dollar. Cheapest repair ever, although the part does look like they are making a profit off of the dollar they charged me. At first, I tried to resolder using the solder on the wires, but something doesn't sound right. I don't think I had enough solder to really make a good connection once I moved it to where it needed to go, so I'm waiting on some cardas quad.

Once I had it apart, it became quite obvious that whoever had it before me messed around a good bit, trying to do who knows what. Lots of scratching all around the screw holes. Makes me wonder what he replaced or did. I'll probably never know, mostly I cannot wait to get the amp going again. I do love reading about the takatsuki, but it would be really hard to justify putting a 900 dollar rectifier into an amp that isn't 900 even if you add in the Tung Sols. Then again, I'm not sure that I'll ever upgrade amps. Hard decision to make. The Brimar U52 I've got in is really nice too. Whether the tak is much better would be really interesting. I'm sure it is, but it can't be too much of an improvement.

Do you mean Brimar 5Z4G rectifier tube, or is this correct, just a different Brimar rectifier tube?
If so, how does it compare to the 5Z4G?
Thanks!

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #36,285 of 42,298
It is not, though I have a few of the 5Z4G tubes as well. This is the second tube listed in dubstepgirl's rectifier thread. It is really, really good. I had the 5Z4G in for some time before getting a used U52 for about 150 bucks. At that price, I doubt it can be beat. And I start to wonder how much better a maxed WA5 would be than a maxed WA6. One of these days I'll make it to a meet and maybe get to see.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread#post_10053310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back