Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #36,257 of 42,298
Love this combo in my wa22

Every time I see your GEC A1834's, I can't get over the fact that they seem to have a top mounted getter as well as the inverted pan getter in the bottom. I've never seen that before. Is there a getter up there?

Sweet looking rig btw!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #36,258 of 42,298
  And what's it like?? - im interested in both those tubes , what is the metal base like? Is it lean? Id say the elrogs are impressive. Love the look of those tubes.

Also im very interested to hear your thoughts one the Hugo tt vs a maxed WA5? Which would you part with first? How black is the background on the TT compared to the WA5?
Im thinking of getting a totl solid state amp soon. Was feeling like maybe im missing out because I've always had tube amps only.

By all accounts, the Taks are the best on the market.  I really like the sound of the Elrog/GZ pairing.  Having not heard the Taks, I can't compare.  But my suspicion is that we're playing with that last 5%.  I don't expect revolutionary new dimensions to the WA5LE (I just got the new version a few weeks ago) with the Taks.  I expect an incremental improvement.

The metal base GZ34 has always been my favorite rectifier.  I've had them in 3 different tube amps and no matter which rectifier I've tried, including the Sophias, EML, and 596s, I always have returned to the metal base GZ34.  There's more bass impact and depth with the stubby 34 than any other big bottle tubes i've auditioned, and they're crystal clear on passages that are quiet where the soundstage opens up wide.  

I don't doubt that the Taks are the better tubes, I just don't expect them to be massively better, just a small tick.

I've been very lucky with my Elrogs.  Lots of reports of failures.  These sound very good.

It's difficult to say which I'd part with regarding the WA or Chord TT.  My answer would be which source do you prefer?  If you play mostly LPs, I'd want the WA5LE.  If you are mostly digital, the TT is definitely the way to go.  DSD files through the Chord TT is the best source setup I've ever heard for a digital path-- the WA5LE is a bit of overkill (though perfectly enjoyable).  

I will get to those Taks someday.  But if going full Tak (300B and 274) is a $3000 dollar investment for a 5% improvement, it's difficult to justify.  The $2900 I spent on the TT made a much greater improvement to my sound setup.  

Plus-- finding a perfect matching pair of metal base GZ34s was expensive enough.  Be careful with the matching pairs.  There's a set on eBay right now that are NOT a matching pair, though the seller is claiming they are.  Learn how to read the factory stamp (plenty of info if you Google a bit)  They're from different years and different batches.  The seller claims they test the same, but I doubt they sound identical.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #36,259 of 42,298
  Too spendy you can find inexpensive tubes nearly as good for a fraction of the cost, an example would be the tube I'm currently listening to, it is about 15 times cheaper then the TK, is the TK  really 15 times better ?  Never.. some may need that perception though, enjoy the music.

I use to think that as well. However I don't know what tube you are using?

I have done a lot of comparing to the Brimar 5Z4GY. One of my favorite tubes. I've heard many say this gets near the top for a fraction of the top tube prices. The Brimar gets very close to the TAK (Brimar is a superb tube). But those differences in the TAK small as they are make the experience just so much better. I don't 100% know what those differences are? All I can tell you is it is fuller and does things better to the bass (can't exactly put my finger on it). TAK is very slightly sweeter on the treble also (however this is real picky (I can hear slight harshness on the Brimar which isn't on the TAK. If I didn't have the TAK I wouldn't have picked it up)). I really can't find a fault with the TAK. It is not lacking in any area. Perfect. So for my listening enjoyment I've decided to go with it from now on.
Love this combo in my wa22

Very nice.
gs1000.gif

Here is mine with the TAK274B. Using TS RP Drivers. I have a nice pair of Mullard 6080 power tubes. I should put them in to keep it all exotic. However I can't get enough of the very boring standard GE6AS7GA tubes. I like their sound.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #36,261 of 42,298

By all accounts, the Taks are the best on the market.  I really like the sound of the Elrog/GZ pairing.  Having not heard the Taks, I can't compare.  But my suspicion is that we're playing with that last 5%.  I don't expect revolutionary new dimensions to the WA5LE (I just got the new version a few weeks ago) with the Taks.  I expect an incremental improvement.

The metal base GZ34 has always been my favorite rectifier.  I've had them in 3 different tube amps and no matter which rectifier I've tried, including the Sophias, EML, and 596s, I always have returned to the metal base GZ34.  There's more bass impact and depth with the stubby 34 than any other big bottle tubes i've auditioned, and they're crystal clear on passages that are quiet where the soundstage opens up wide.  

I don't doubt that the Taks are the better tubes, I just don't expect them to be massively better, just a small tick.

I've been very lucky with my Elrogs.  Lots of reports of failures.  These sound very good.

It's difficult to say which I'd part with regarding the WA or Chord TT.  My answer would be which source do you prefer?  If you play mostly LPs, I'd want the WA5LE.  If you are mostly digital, the TT is definitely the way to go.  DSD files through the Chord TT is the best source setup I've ever heard for a digital path-- the WA5LE is a bit of overkill (though perfectly enjoyable).  

I will get to those Taks someday.  But if going full Tak (300B and 274) is a $3000 dollar investment for a 5% improvement, it's difficult to justify.  The $2900 I spent on the TT made a much greater improvement to my sound setup.  

Plus-- finding a perfect matching pair of metal base GZ34s was expensive enough.  Be careful with the matching pairs.  There's a set on eBay right now that are NOT a matching pair, though the seller is claiming they are.  Learn how to read the factory stamp (plenty of info if you Google a bit)  They're from different years and different batches.  The seller claims they test the same, but I doubt they sound identical.

How are the elrogs compared to others you've tried?

I've not tried the taks.  But my favorite rectifiers have been 274/metal gz34/53ku/u52/422a.  The metal gz34 are really transparent and have holographic but warm midrange.

Used some fivre 6sn7 - gives nice snap to wake up the sometimes laid back HEK.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #36,262 of 42,298

How are the elrogs compared to others you've tried?

I've not tried the taks.  But my favorite rectifiers have been 274/metal gz34/53ku/u52/422a.  The metal gz34 are really transparent and have holographic but warm midrange.

Used some fivre 6sn7 - gives nice snap to wake up the sometimes laid back HEK.

I've only had the Tung Sol (which came with the amp) (lacked sparkle);  the EML 300B (very nice tube); and the Elrog 300B (incremental improvement over the EML-- better bass, highs less sharp, better imaging-- but only minor upgrade over the EML, not a massive upgrade)

I sold my EML tubes.  They are nice tubes.  Very good tubes, in fact.  The Elrogs are just a bit better, so I kept them.

I can't get a handle on the driver tubes.  The only drivers I didn't like were the PSVane T2 CV-181.  Very harsh high end.  Crunchy.  Any of the 6SN7s sound good to my ears.  Maybe I just don't know what to listen for with the drivers.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #36,263 of 42,298
I've only had the Tung Sol (which came with the amp) (lacked sparkle);  the EML 300B (very nice tube); and the Elrog 300B (incremental improvement over the EML-- better bass, highs less sharp, better imaging-- but only minor upgrade over the EML, not a massive upgrade)

I sold my EML tubes.  They are nice tubes.  Very good tubes, in fact.  The Elrogs are just a bit better, so I kept them.

I can't get a handle on the driver tubes.  The only drivers I didn't like were the PSVane T2 CV-181.  Very harsh high end.  Crunchy.  Any of the 6SN7s sound good to my ears.  Maybe I just don't know what to listen for with the drivers.

I tried all sorts of 6SN7's. As soon as I heard my first 6F8G I knew 6SN7 was finished. I wouldn't waste too much time and effort on 6SN7.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #36,266 of 42,298
I haven't tried as many 6sn7 equivalent to compare but wouldn't they sound the same as 6f8g?  I've tried rca (romantic rounded sound); raytheon (clear more air and transparent); tsrp (more dynamic and better imaging and extension than rca) but have not tried the 6sn7 equivalent- do they sound the same?

A lot sound completely different. Take the RCA you listed. I have the 6SN7 grey glass and I agree with you it sounds romantic. Then I have a set in 6F8g with the same plate structure. Completely different. Treble extends and the sound if fuller. It's strange but they are worlds apart.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #36,267 of 42,298
A lot sound completely different. Take the RCA you listed. I have the 6SN7 grey glass and I agree with you it sounds romantic. Then I have a set in 6F8g with the same plate structure. Completely different. Treble extends and the sound if fuller. It's strange but they are worlds apart.

Where did you get an adapter?  Looks like there's a cathode wire?

I'll try a pair.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #36,268 of 42,298
Where did you get an adapter?  Looks like there's a cathode wire?

I'll try a pair.

The adapters are everywhere. You can get them from eBay and Woo. I also got two pairs from Glenn. They are the best.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #36,269 of 42,298

Nothing the same. Much better than any

Users who are viewing this thread

Back