Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 28, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #36,092 of 42,298
  I'm using WA3 now, rolling with Tung-sol 5998 as power tube and Amperex 7308 as rectifying tube.
It works great with my HD650 and DT880 (600ohm), beyond my expecting before.

FWIW - The Amperex 7308 are used as driver tubes in the WA3 which also has solid state rectification.  And yes, that combo sounds good especially since the WA3 was designed around the HD650.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #36,094 of 42,298
My biggest issue with hums and buzzes is RFI interference. My Sonos connect would cause buzzing or humming when I had it next to my WA6-SE and WA2. My Fostex TH-X00 would pick up noise when I got close to one of my Dell 24 LCD monitors.

Relocating the Sonos connect a couple of feet away fixed the issue in both my office and Media room.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #36,095 of 42,298
Hello guys,

Need help in fixing an issue with my newly purchased WA2. I am using it with T1 and few other cans.

It does hum through the headphones when volume is at 11' clock and hum only becomes louder from there. I measured and it seems like hum is around 120Hz

i did some testing to isolate the device in the chain that is causing this problem. I found that when nothing is connected to amp(except power), there is no hum.

However when i connect a DAC, there is hum thru headphones. Even with DAC turned off, there is hum(i tried output of Schiit Modi, Emotiva DC1, line out of Fiio X3ii - each of them powered off and not even connected to laptop)

I tried different power cable, wall sockets, even took the amp to friend's apartment for testing, and the result has been same.

I have a Magni, O2, few speaker amps from Emotiva - none of them have any hum issues.

I am told by WA to upgrade cables,dac to resolve the hum problem. I am yet to go that route.

Also, one of the 6080 tubes i received, i think is faulty. It gives out hiss on one of the cups on headphone, even at zero volume. When i switch 6080 tubes on the amp from left to right, hiss also switches on headphones.

It seems to me that it could be a ground loop issue. Try lifting (use a cheater plug to eliminate the ground terminal in the 3 prong plugs) the ground on both the DAC and the amp.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #36,096 of 42,298
  It seems to me that it could be a ground loop issue. Try lifting (use a cheater plug to eliminate the ground terminal in the 3 prong plugs) the ground on both the DAC and the amp.

Thank you. I have ordered some cheater plugs. I will update my findings here soon

What i don't get is none of my other gear which is solid state, doesn't have this problem. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #36,097 of 42,298
Happy New Years Woo dudes.

I'm taking my second listen using the WA22 and the TAK274B rectifier. Using overly harsh music. It can get ugly. Music with the TAK is smooth. The TAK is a very special rectifier. Not sure it is worth the price leap of other rectifier options tho.

Thanks to Tony I am really enjoying the TAK.

Happy listening guys.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #36,098 of 42,298
Happy New Years Woo dudes.

I'm taking my second listen using the WA22 and the TAK274B rectifier. Using overly harsh music. It can get ugly. Music with the TAK is smooth. The TAK is a very special rectifier. Not sure it is worth the price leap of other rectifier options tho.

Thanks to Tony I am really enjoying the TAK.

Happy listening guys.

Glad you like it. Did you notice any improvement in bass with the TA274B? When I used them in the WA5 the bass went deeper and tighter (oh er).

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #36,099 of 42,298
Glad you like it. Did you notice any improvement in bass with the TA274B? When I used them in the WA5 the bass went deeper and tighter (oh er).

Yes. I am noticing the bass. More of it and more quality.

It tends to have more of everything compared to the Brimar. Not a lot more but a touch more of everything. The immediate result to me is that it gets closer to the music so smoother. The Brimar seems faker in comparison. Brimar is a damn good tube tho. TAK just does everything so damn right.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #36,100 of 42,298
Yes. I am noticing the bass. More of it and more quality.

It tends to have more of everything compared to the Brimar. Not a lot more but a touch more of everything. The immediate result to me is that it gets closer to the music so smoother. The Brimar seems faker in comparison. Brimar is a damn good tube tho. TAK just does everything so damn right.

Awesome to hear.
I just ordered on Monday. They said 3-4 week wait.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #36,101 of 42,298
Awesome to hear.
I just ordered on Monday. They said 3-4 week wait.

How much are they? The one I'm using is Tony's. I think I might have to get one as well.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #36,104 of 42,298
I too had a small hum issue this weekend with my Woo 3. I ended up plugging it into it's own plug and the hum went away, to the place it normally is which is not noticeable unless the volume goes above 75%. Every tube amp I have ever had, even starting in 1973 has a a hum of some level. Luckily though they stay well below a noticeable level for real life applications. Though I could visualize how many new to tube amps could become obsessed with the aspect to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back