Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #36,061 of 42,298
Upgrade cables or change your DAC to deal with an amp hum? That is kinda odd advice. The amp should be able to connect to any DAC, and the cable thing I don't want to touch.

Is this a brand new WA2 (i.e. under warranty)?

Brand new from WA. I spoke to Mike at WA and was told- since amp is silent on its own, it has no problem and the rest of the gear in the chain need upgrade.

Before i go that route, i am trying to find out by reading/asking around, about hum problems in tube amps

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #36,064 of 42,298

In Woo news, my amp is still broken :frowning2: I might email their support and see if they have a suggestion, or maybe I can just buy the fitting from them.

I feel for you, man.  My WA5LE died a few weeks ago.  Woo took my broken one in trade for a new WA5LE.  It will be a few weeks before I get the new one.

Yeah, I saw a few of your posts, skimming around trying to catch up on not reading this for a few months. Sorry about that, it sounds pretty terrible. I mean I hate to sound callused, but this is a really good failure story, because you see enough value in the product that you're willing to go through a "money loss" transaction that most people in most consumer areas would find abhorrent. I do think that Woo managed to find a good balance of features, build quality/aesthetics, and price. Out of that comes great sound through our headphones. I know that if my WA6 broke for good, I'd just get another one. Or maybe I'd use that as an excuse to get a WA5, who knows what wonders the human mind can work???

But ya, that sucks donkey balls. Hope you get it and are back on track as soon as possible. I'm a big fan of the Woo products myself. It probably helps their case that I've never tried anything else that's comparable, but then, I read a lot before I decided on the WA6. I think that we may just be living in the golden age of audio, so these manufactures who are really pumping out quality hardware are our friends, much more than we realize. It won't be long before records start to get scarce. Won't be much longer after that before the ones in existence are deteriorating. One day, who knows what all technology they'll have come up with. Maybe the nice music players will holographically present a past performance in front of you, with direct brain-connects going on and all that. I tell you one thing, they won't be having as much fun as I have rolling with my stuff here today. 1 2 3 Go WOO!!!!!!

Yeah I got a little ridiculous there at the end, but I'm drunk, so who cares? Oh by the way, Merry Christmas! This one, along with the rest, they're all great reminders to think about life and make sure we're valuing what should be valued. I really do hope you all are happy, and if you're not, that you take it upon yourselves to make it that way this year.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #36,065 of 42,298
  ... I know that if my WA6 broke for good, I'd just get another one. Or maybe I'd use that as an excuse to get a WA5...

I wouldn't recommend that path. I have both the WA6 and WA5. The WA6 I still use and enjoy. The WA5 is boxed up in the space under my stairs and will likely never see the light of day again. For the money Woo are asking for the WA5/WA5LE I think there are other options out there that are better built and better sounding (YMMV).

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #36,069 of 42,298
Thanks. Since amp is supposedly not faulty, it would cost me (25% ??) for returning. I was considering returning, but was told multiple times that amp is working fine.

"It does hum through the headphones when volume is at 11' clock and hum only becomes louder from there. I measured and it seems like hum is around 120Hz
i did some testing to isolate the device in the chain that is causing this problem. I found that when nothing is connected to amp(except power), there is no hum.
However when i connect a DAC, there is hum thru headphones. Even with DAC turned off, there is hum(i tried output of Schiit Modi, Emotiva DC1, line out of Fiio X3ii - each of them powered off and not even connected to laptop)"

That does not sound like 'working fine' to me. I would expect Woo to stand by their product and fix it (or replace, or refund). Leaving you holding the bag is not the right thing to do IMHO.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #36,070 of 42,298
Hello guys,

Need help in fixing an issue with my newly purchased WA2. I am using it with T1 and few other cans.

It does hum through the headphones when volume is at 11' clock and hum only becomes louder from there. I measured and it seems like hum is around 120Hz

i did some testing to isolate the device in the chain that is causing this problem. I found that when nothing is connected to amp(except power), there is no hum.

However when i connect a DAC, there is hum thru headphones. Even with DAC turned off, there is hum(i tried output of Schiit Modi, Emotiva DC1, line out of Fiio X3ii - each of them powered off and not even connected to laptop)

You have to take into account headphone sensitivity. Is the humming noticeable on any headphone at a volume setting where you would normally be listening to music?

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #36,073 of 42,298
Thanks. Since amp is supposedly not faulty, it would cost me (10% ??) for returning. I was considering returning, but was told multiple times that amp is working fine.
Edit: Corrected %
Wow! My first impression is that doesn't say much for the 3 dacs you used with your woo amp. All 3 of those manufacturers (or your interconnects) are making these faulty/hummy dacs. You need to choose your dacs better and bring up these faults on the appropriate threads.

Are you able to try someone else's/local stores woo amp with you're dacs and interconnects? You seem to have eliminated all other possibilities unless you haven't yet tried a second set of interconnects.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #36,074 of 42,298
You have to take into account headphone sensitivity. Is the humming noticeable on any headphone at a volume setting where you would normally be listening to music?
I'm no expert but that's a good question - what HPs are you using

Users who are viewing this thread

Back