Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #36,046 of 42,298

Same can be said of HP cables. I've tried many and they sound the same.

I'm am NOT a cable guy............but my OEM hp cable was so stiff I tried a replacement cable from China. It was cheap (my choice) but it does not conduct as well (much lower gain at same setting) or sound as good as the OEM cable. Lack of detail and lifeless. Lesson learned. Some cables do sound worse than others................. at least IMO.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #36,047 of 42,298

Finially cranked up the WA22 with the Tony supplied TAK 274B.
Damn this thing is mellow. Nicely so. If it wasn't so expensive I would get some of these.

Compared to the Brimar the TAK is a lot more mellow. The Brimar beats the TAK in dynamics.

I also finially finished my music corner in my home theatre. No more silly Star Wars pictures. Also did a vinyl wall display. I'm very pleased with the look.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #36,048 of 42,298
Trying the hd650 with wa5le -it scales very well.  It expands the sound stage of the hd650 to its max without being too dark or lush- though it is on the lush side.  It is the best I've heard the hd650 because of this even compared to decware csp2+ and wa2.  Both of which are very good but the increase in x,y,z axis really makes this the best combination I think.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #36,050 of 42,298
Are there adapters available to use 6SN7 tubes on WA6-SE? I saw very old posts Glenn and Woo made some but not sure is the case anymore.
Also using 6SN7 impacts rated power output on WA6-SE?

At one point @2359glenn had stopped making the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters for the WA6/SE, but does make them again and are very well built...I have them for my WA6.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #36,051 of 42,298
Was someone looking for a matched pair of USAF-596?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/792118/usaf-596-matched-pair-596-tubes-nos

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #36,052 of 42,298

2359glenn. Really well made and he makes them as a mirror image, that is, there is a left and a right adapter. That way the wires are on the outside for less interference.

Now, I am waiting to get my 6F8G adapters from Glenn.  
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #36,053 of 42,298
Received a pair of French made Military ,La Radio Technique Visseaux 6N7GT another type usable with the ECC 31 to 6SN7 adapters in my WA22 . Internal structure seems very similar to the ST type Military Mazda 6N7G that were made in France also ,possibly by the same company . First 2 pictures of Mazda 6N7G top plates seem the same as Visseaux tube  and bottom getter also .Will sample the 2 to see if they sound similar or not                                                                                                                                                                                         

What's the rectifier?

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #36,054 of 42,298

Received a pair of French made Military ,La Radio Technique Visseaux 6N7GT another type usable with the ECC 31 to 6SN7 adapters in my WA22 . Internal structure seems very similar to the ST type Military Mazda 6N7G that were made in France also ,possibly by the same company . First 2 pictures of Mazda 6N7G top plates seem the same as Visseaux tube  and bottom getter also .Will sample the 2 to see if they sound similar or not                                                                                                                                                                                         

What's the rectifier?

The rectifier is a Globe shape  280   with a 5Z3 to 5U4 adapter. These are the equivalent  you can use     http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ux280.html

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #36,055 of 42,298
 mike you mentioned those rectifiers before they sure look cool hows the sound quality..

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #36,057 of 42,298

Oh ok. You know, without you here to tell me to grow up, I'm not sure I'd ever get that through my obviously thick head. But now that I have you to tell me that, it's like the whole world is right. Boy are we fortunate to have your wisdom!

Dude. All this rubbish was disproved in the speaker audio and home theater world about 15-20 years ago. It's like the HP world is the new target market for the slow to learn.
rolleyes.gif
None of these products are getting pitched in those markets anymore. Mega home theaters don't use them either.

My grow up comment was directed at the whole HP market not you directly. All this snake oil information has been posted scientifically for years. It's time the HP market starts reading some of it. The only good reviews you read are not conducted blind or scientifically and often written by the companies making the product. I saw one today by SVS subwoofers. It's very funny actually.

FYI. If you want to waste your $$'s. By all means go ahead. The workers for these snake oil merchants have to eat as well. So away ya go.

I mean, it's not even questionable that a power source can affect the performance of electronics. And I don't think that for me, it's reasonable to expect audible differences from a product that amounts to some super pure braided copper that somehow is unique and original. But there are power solutions, whether they be supplies or cables, that are engineered differently than your typical power cable. I agree that most of that is snake oil. And believe it or not, you are not the first person to say so. You seem to be emotionally invested in telling people what is right and wrong, and believe me, I also understand that. I know many people partial to being right and telling everyone else all about it.

But what people in any sort of audio world have not done, is scientifically disprove some of the newer cables out there. And really I am only thinking of the Shunyata cable. Already someone has posted an article of that power cable being tested in a medical application, where it removed a substantial amount of noise, which reduced the margin of error on whatever gizmo they were testing it on. Could those doctors be lying? Maybe. Does that mean that there is an audible difference when used in an audio application? I don't know, I haven't tried it and probably never will. With your attitude, neither will you, though I don't doubt that you'll be fine with proclaiming your admitted lack of first hand knowledge of the cable as the absolute final word.

I guess this is not the kind of argument I want to be engaging in on this forum, and I think I pretty clearly stated that in my first post. It's not something I would want to read, so I apologize to anyone reading. But your know it all attitude, that seems to stem wholly from some tests that you read some pro audio guys did back in the 90s, just irks me. That type of blind willful ignorance is also not something that has any place on this forum. So ya, I guess after this, I won't post again on the matter. You though, should feel free to continue to demean people who don't share your opinion. I often find that next to first hand factual findings, personal attacks are, apparently, the most useful way of arguing on the internet.

In Woo news, my amp is still broken :frowning2: I might email their support and see if they have a suggestion, or maybe I can just buy the fitting from them.

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #36,058 of 42,298

In Woo news, my amp is still broken :frowning2: I might email their support and see if they have a suggestion, or maybe I can just buy the fitting from them.

I feel for you, man.  My WA5LE died a few weeks ago.  Woo took my broken one in trade for a new WA5LE.  It will be a few weeks before I get the new one.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #36,059 of 42,298
Hello guys,

Need help in fixing an issue with my newly purchased WA2. I am using it with T1 and few other cans.

It does hum through the headphones when volume is at 11' clock and hum only becomes louder from there. I measured and it seems like hum is around 120Hz

i did some testing to isolate the device in the chain that is causing this problem. I found that when nothing is connected to amp(except power), there is no hum.

However when i connect a DAC, there is hum thru headphones. Even with DAC turned off, there is hum(i tried output of Schiit Modi, Emotiva DC1, line out of Fiio X3ii - each of them powered off and not even connected to laptop)

I tried different power cable, wall sockets, even took the amp to friend's apartment for testing, and the result has been same.

I have a Magni, O2, few speaker amps from Emotiva - none of them have any hum issues.

I am told by WA to upgrade cables,dac to resolve the hum problem. I am yet to go that route.

Also, one of the 6080 tubes i received, i think is faulty. It gives out hiss on one of the cups on headphone, even at zero volume. When i switch 6080 tubes on the amp from left to right, hiss also switches on headphones.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #36,060 of 42,298
I am told by WA to upgrade cables,dac to resolve the hum problem....

Upgrade cables or change your DAC to deal with an amp hum? That is kinda odd advice. The amp should be able to connect to any DAC, and the cable thing I don't want to touch.

Is this a brand new WA2 (i.e. under warranty)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back