Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #36,106 of 42,298
  Hi, guys. New subscriber. I'm just bought a Sennheiser HD-600 and love it. I plan to buy a Woo headphone amp. It will be stock, no upgraded tubes. In your opinions ... WA3 or WA6?

Get WA6 if you can spare the extra $100.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #36,110 of 42,298
Thanks my friend.
Yes 35s. They are my favs compared to all ecc3x, sold all my others and got two pairs of them.
Oh kept a set of 31s just for back up of back ups.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #36,111 of 42,298
Happy New Year!

This morning I came across a local hi-fi shop a few blocks from where I live. They were open; I passed. My wallet dragged me away from there. :wink:

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #36,112 of 42,298
  Hi, guys. New subscriber. I'm just bought a Sennheiser HD-600 and love it. I plan to buy a Woo headphone amp. It will be stock, no upgraded tubes. In your opinions ... WA3 or WA6?

WA3 ... no question about it, for high impedance cans.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #36,115 of 42,298

I went through the WA3, WA6, WA6SE conundrum at this time last year. Was using Sony Z7 headphones at the time but higher impedance phones were in the future plan. Opted for the WA6 and have not regretted it. No intention to tube roll at the time but now I have a good assortment of tubes. Added Sennheiser HD800 phones and the Woo impedance switch does the job. With plenty of good tubes, phones, and some upgraded cables a WA22 just joined my fleet. If you enjoy what you buy you might, in future, decide to tube roll etc. Leave yourself room to change your mind if funds permit. Cheaper to spend a little extra now than change amps later. Enjoy it which ever way you go.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #36,116 of 42,298
  WA6 is switchable for either low or high impedance cans. Is WA3 still the better choice, and why?

Correct, but you posted that you wanted the best amp for the HD-600s, which are high-impedance cans (300 ohm). So, my recommendation remains unchanged, unless you want to level-up to the WA2.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #36,117 of 42,298
WA6 is switchable for either low or high impedance cans. Is WA3 still the better choice, and why?
I believe wa3 v wa6 is like wa2 v wa6se. The two OTL amps (wa3 and wa2) are designed for high impedance headphones like the hd600 and have a little more smoothness to them whereas the others are more of a solid state amp kind of sound so less smooth and less tubey but is more versatile if you are looking for other headphones in the future that are not high impedance.

All the advice I've received for my hd800s was that the wa2 is the best bang for buck if you can stretch it there, and you may want to upgrade your tubes as you go too (ouch $$) so I bought the wa2 for my hd800s and that is my system knowing that my ideal headphone selections are limited with this amp.

So perhaps think if you will be wanting other headphones in the future too to be used with whichever amp you choose.

One other note: I also was advised that the wa6se with stock tubes is better than the wa2 with stock tubes but the wa2 had more potential with better tubes.

Also gave a read of the "sibling rivalry" thread of the wa2 v wa6se. That might give you an idea of what the OTL amps offer v the other.

And finally I hope you've got a chance to listen to whatever amps you have I your radar - you can't beat that.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #36,118 of 42,298
Or perhaps don't pick up a tube amp and get into this world that could involve tube rolling.

I previously had a soloist amp (lively amp on a slightly brighter side) and an arcam irdac (rich, slightly warm, lush mids) and they could well suit the hd600.

Another versatile combo (with very well together) that I was really happy with using my wa2 until I wanted a little more smoothness and bought the wa2.

The irdac/soloist combo also works well with planners like the hifiman and audezes if that's a path you may want to go towards in the future.

Just my two bobs worth

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #36,119 of 42,298
Anyone know if a 6SL7 will work in place of a ecc35 for the wa22 thanks..

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #36,120 of 42,298
  Anyone know if a 6SL7 will work in place of a ecc35 for the wa22 thanks..

i use them in my WA22 plug&play                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back