Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 30, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #35,761 of 42,298

They are the typical Woo adapters, very well made based on silicon with gold pater pins and sockets and a black metal ring with engraving infecting the type of adapter and side. Yes, they are sided and Jack told me they cannot be mixed. If you put the right side adapter in the left side of the amplifier it will get damaged and the same for the left side adapter.

The tubes are Siemens NAKED. Wood audio sells them that way.

Very first impressions is that these tubes are great at the top end and midrange but I think are lacking a little bit on the bass.
I think there are also Lorenz, Telefunken and Valvo C3Gs. Anybody has any experience with any of these?
Which ones of these are the more tubey sounding and with better bass?

Quick follow up: OMG! the clarity and level of transparency of these tubes is amazing! Listening to Riding With The King's When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer.

I have the Lorenz, Siemens and the Tele's. I find the Lorenz is the "tubey" one out of the batch. I have just sent a load off to Jack. I had suggested the C3G adapters to Jack a while ago and whilst I knew they had been tested and the results were good I am still waiting for a set. Which TBH is frustrating as hell. 

Happy though for you that you have a set and they work well. Nice one.

I thought these things would blow your amp up

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #35,762 of 42,298

Jack explained to me that his adapters were different and made correctly for Woo amps. His in testing with the 234's do not have the same issues as yours did with gain. I am not going to get drawn into some debate on them because A I don't have them yet to verify for myself and B I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether what he is telling me is 100% correct.

The relevant fact though is that if he supplies the adapters he is warranting them to work in his amps.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #35,763 of 42,298

I don't know what they did but I bet they did something in the adapter otherwise why they will be specific to a channel...

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #35,765 of 42,298
In Jack Woo's opinion, he opined that using 3rd party adapters without the internal knowledge of the amps that he has, would lead to problems. Both Fririce0003 and I paid you $300 each for the adapters and for whatever reason they did not work correctly. Now I suppose you will tell us that we are all idiots and we are being suckered again.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #35,766 of 42,298
Props to my Pal Tony, for doing the legwork on the C3G's and rescuing us when needed.

Thanks mate !

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #35,768 of 42,298

Jack explained to me that his adapters were different and made correctly for Woo amps. His in testing with the 234's do not have the same issues as yours did with gain. I am not going to get drawn into some debate on them because A I don't have them yet to verify for myself and B I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether what he is telling me is 100% correct.

The relevant fact though is that if he supplies the adapters he is warranting them to work in his amps.

And they sound fantastic. Got to audition them today at TAVES.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #35,769 of 42,298
  Props to my Pal Tony, for doing the legwork on the C3G's and rescuing us when needed.

Thanks mate !

I hope you get similar joy from these drivers that I do. They are detailed, extended and transparent like nothing else I have heard.

My 2 cents - I would not get too concerned about Lorenz vs Telefunken vs Siemens (Valvo I have not tried, but I have read that the same situation applies). My understanding is that the last 10 or so years of production for these tubes was all done by Siemens and re-branded as needed. Stripping the covers from the tubes backs this up - the innards of the Telefunken and Lorenz tubes that I have stripped are 100% identical to the Siemens. I can't detect any sonic differences either. Therefore, I would suggest getting the cheapest available tubes (typically the Siemens). It is the same thing as the Telefunken and Lorenz to my eyes and ears.

The exception is older tubes. I have a well-used and rather skanky looking pair of Lorenz tubes that I stripped. These are slightly different to the Siemens. Pic below has Siemens on the right and the old Lorenz on the left. You can see some minor differences in construction. As far as SQ goes I can't tell any difference between them whatsoever.

I would also avoid the "/S" versions. These are selected as having tested with 10% or more transconductance beyond what the spec calls for. Maybe that makes a difference electronically, but I cannot hear any difference whatsoever between the "/S" version and the standard tubes.

Folks with better ears and/or gear than me might have different conclusions, but that is what my playing with the C3Gs has taught me.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #35,770 of 42,298

I hope you get similar joy from these drivers that I do. They are detailed, extended and transparent like nothing else I have heard.

My 2 cents - I would not get too concerned about Lorenz vs Telefunken vs Siemens (Valvo I have not tried, but I have read that the same situation applies). My understanding is that the last 10 or so years of production for these tubes was all done by Siemens and re-branded as needed. Stripping the covers from the tubes backs this up - the innards of the Telefunken and Lorenz tubes that I have stripped are 100% identical to the Siemens. I can't detect any sonic differences either. Therefore, I would suggest getting the cheapest available tubes (typically the Siemens). It is the same thing as the Telefunken and Lorenz to my eyes and ears.

The exception is older tubes. I have a well-used and rather skanky looking pair of Lorenz tubes that I stripped. These are slightly different to the Siemens. Pic below has Siemens on the right and the old Lorenz on the left. You can see some minor differences in construction. As far as SQ goes I can't tell any difference between them whatsoever.

I would also avoid the "/S" versions. These are selected as having tested with 10% or more transconductance beyond what the spec calls for. Maybe that makes a difference electronically, but I cannot hear any difference whatsoever between the "/S" version and the standard tubes.

Folks with better ears and/or gear than me might have different conclusions, but that is what my playing with the C3Gs has taught me.

Thanks the /s version are being sold for quite a premium.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #35,772 of 42,298
Look what I just received this afternoon!!! :grinning:

Will listen to them tonight and report back later.

I have been running the same setup for a little while now and absolutely love the sound.  The c3g tubes have the least bloom of the driver tubes I've tried, which I prefer.

Also where can I get some of those cool discs which dampen the tube?

Here is a pic of my amp.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #35,773 of 42,298
Does anyone of you ECC3x instead 6SN7 in WA6 or especially in WA6SE (with Glenn adapters)?
Or do you think that it is technically possible?
I think 3083joe wrote that ecc32 yes, but I can not remember for sure,
so I would like to verify it (I'd like to try some ecc3x in my WA6SE+Glenn 6SN7 adapters) ...
Thank´s

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #35,774 of 42,298

Look what I just received this afternoon!!! :grinning:

Will listen to them tonight and report back later.

Sweet.
Hope they will work in the wa22!

Speaking of the WA2 WA6 and WA22  with C3G'S  not possible                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #35,775 of 42,298
  Does anyone of you ECC3x instead 6SN7 in WA6 or especially in WA6SE (with Glenn adapters)?
Or do you think that it is technically possible?
I think 3083joe wrote that ecc32 yes, but I can not remember for sure,
so I would like to verify it (I'd like to try some ecc3x in my WA6SE+Glenn 6SN7 adapters) ...
Thank´s

I am using ECC31, 6N7G, 1635, with adapters in WA22 dont know about WA6 or SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back