Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #35,792 of 42,299
I am looking for new tubes to upgrade my stock driver tubes on my Woo WA3.

What pair of affordable (less than $150/pair) driver tubes would add some openness (and clarity) to my HD650? I like their tubey signature (warm, lots of ambience, great bass). But I find them a bit congested.

Current power tube: 7236 Sylvania
Current driver tubes: stock

Thanks!!

6c8g nu or ts

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #35,793 of 42,299

What pair of affordable (less than $150/pair) driver tubes would add some openness (and clarity) to my HD650? I like their tubey signature (warm, lots of ambience, great bass). But I find them a bit congested.

Thanks!!

I responded to your cross-post on the 650 thread, but please bring follow-up back to this thread. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #35,794 of 42,299
I happen to like any of the 6dj8 a frames, the japanese ones are often less than others and sound great. Another potential is tektronix selected 6bz7.

Thanks!!

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #35,795 of 42,299
  You should be able to form a (pre)opinion after just a few hours burn-in.  I'm curious to what you think with pairing them with the 421a in your WA3.  Recommend using some of your best recordings and also comparing with other recordings that may have sounded congested with your other driver tubes.

Yeah, so after about 10 hours with the GECs I couldn't wait and flipped-in one of the Westy 421a. You were not kidding about the single wire getter '74 Reflektor drivers - best combo I've heard to date in my WA3.

Believe it or not, my HD-700s never sounded just right until I put in this combo. Wow.

I am very eager to swap in the HD-650s with this tube combo and listen to some jazz vocals (Betty Carter, then the Decca recordings from Carmen McRae).
Man... I am sooooo loving Head-Fi right now. 
L3000.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #35,796 of 42,299
Purchased my first turntable today!
Nothing crazy. Simple entry level clear audio
But excited to give vinyl a try with my setup.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #35,797 of 42,299

Great!  The warmth of vinyl with the correct setup is just what you're looking for, enjoy the original jazz signature!!!

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #35,798 of 42,299

I have a love hate relationship with vinyl.

Love that warmth. Hate those pops and crackles.

It will be interesting what you think.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #35,799 of 42,299

Yeah, so after about 10 hours with the GECs I couldn't wait and flipped-in one of the Westy 421a. You were not kidding about the single wire getter '74 Reflektor drivers - best combo I've heard to date in my WA3.

Believe it or not, my HD-700s never sounded just right until I put in this combo. Wow.

I am very eager to swap in the HD-650s with this tube combo and listen to some jazz vocals (Betty Carter, then the Decca recordings from Carmen McRae).
Man... I am sooooo loving Head-Fi right now. 
L3000.gif

Perfect!  I have found the reflector drivers are very articulate and will produce what is recorded.  They really are my "reference-go-to" tube; that is not to say other combos (which I endorse) are not as good.  The better the recording; the better the sound!

My secondary recommendation would be your 6520 power type tubes.  I have not listened to these tubes, but I believe these are more similar to a 6as7 type build and may provide some great sonics!

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #35,800 of 42,299

I have a love hate relationship with vinyl.

Love that warmth. Hate those pops and crackles.

It will be interesting what you think.

Well said!
Times a thousand both directions!

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #35,801 of 42,299

Perfect!  I have found the reflector drivers are very articulate and will produce what is recorded.  They really are my "reference-go-to" tube; that is not to say other combos (which I endorse) are not as good.  The better the recording; the better the sound!

My secondary recommendation would be your 6520 power type tubes.  I have not listened to these tubes, but I believe these are more similar to a 6as7 type build and may provide some great sonics!

Funny that you mention these, as I've posted in the past that the Tung-Sol 6520 are a very under appreciated tube. I have a few of these, as well, and can attest that they are a "premium" TS 5998. I've read that they were sold as such, back in the day, and I am baffled as to why they sell for much less on eBay (although I haven't looked, lately).

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #35,803 of 42,299
Funny that you mention these, as I've posted in the past that the Tung-Sol 6520 are a very under appreciated tube. I have a few of these, as well, and can attest that they are a "premium" TS 5998. I've read that they were sold as such, back in the day, and I am baffled as to why they sell for much less on eBay (although I haven't looked, lately).

Really hard to find. To be honest.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #35,805 of 42,299
Really hard to find. To be honest.

I must have been lucky to find them, in the past. Sorry to hear that they are rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back