Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 30, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #33,287 of 42,298
for using the hd800 which amp is best wa22 or wa5? I mainly listen to choir music,church music, opera and broadway musicals. I like listening suo gan and ecstasy of gold I like who the soprano sounds.

For detail and extension of the treble with the HD800 then you will want the WA5. Detail is what the HD800 is kinda all about.
I have heard the HD800 on the WA22 and the WA5 and altho I own the WA22 the WA5 has it beat in detail and treble. WA5 will suit your type of music.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #33,288 of 42,298
For detail and extension of the treble with the HD800 then you will want the WA5. Detail is what the HD800 is kinda all about.
I have heard the HD800 on the WA22 and the WA5 and altho I own the WA22 the WA5 has it beat in detail and treble. WA5 will suit your type of music.

+1. That was my (modded) HD800 and WA5 and I have to agree - WA5 all the way.

As with any tube amp, tube selection is probably going to be the most important thing to get the sound you like from the amp.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #33,289 of 42,298

I have WA5/HD800 - best combo i have ever heard. 
  for using the hd800 which amp is best wa22 or wa5? I mainly listen to choir music,church music, opera and broadway musicals. I like listening suo gan and ecstasy of gold I like who the soprano sounds.

HD800 - WA5 is perfect for choir. church and opera. Also excellent for chamber music. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #33,290 of 42,298
Well did a bit of research over the weekend about running the WA22 balanced so far what i found is that i need balanced cables from amp to dac of course, but what i also found is that i dont need a balanced HP cable or Neutrik connector to get a balanced sound out of HP i take my stock HP jack plug it in and i get balanced sound that's what i was told .as for a DAC well i leaning towards the WYRED4SOUND DAC2  runs balanced has samplerates up to 24/192 very good DAC it seems .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Theres also a wyred4sound DAC1 which is 3 years old at a fraction of the price but samplerates only goes up 24/96 but it runs balanced wouldnt be to expensive to try see if there's an improvement decisions decisions .                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #33,291 of 42,298
There is no point in owning a WA22 if you're not going to run it balanced. Yes the newer ones have a phase splitter but it's an extra piece of processing that your sound has to go through.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #33,292 of 42,298

I don't know why my camera flash makes the drive tubes and Glenn adapters look blue??? I can assure ya they are black like below:

Anyhow. The Glenn adapters are the real deal. Super nice. Kinda makes my drive tubes look Formula One now.
gs1000.gif

I have notice a lot less noise from the tubes. I have been struggling with power tube noise for a while now. Last night I got nothing. I think the shielding on the wires help.

10/10 Glenn.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #33,293 of 42,298

I have not heard the HD800 with the WA22, but there is an argument to be made the the WA22 could be a better pairing, because it is a push pull amp and can be used balanced.  The WA5 (and WA5LE) are unbalanced only.  I've never auditioned the HD800 with the WA22, so I can't say for sure.

After CanJam this weekend, there are better options than the Woo amps for the HD800 out there.  The Cavalli amps (Liquid Glass and Gold) are repeatedly said to be difficult to beat, I have to agree.  I've auditioned the GSX-MKII and that amp is better with the HD800.  And the Chord Hugo DAC/Amp gets a lot of love with the HD800 (a close friend says it tamed the high end of the HD800 like no other amp he's heard) and shouldn't be overlooked, though I didn't get to listen to the HD800 with either the mobile or the TT. 

That said, I love the romance of these amps and I won't sell my WA5LE.  I'm a Woo devotee.  I may however change headphones down the road.

Well did a bit of research over the weekend about running the WA22 balanced so far what i found is that i need balanced cables from amp to dac of course, but what i also found is that i dont need a balanced HP cable or Neutrik connector to get a balanced sound out of HP i take my stock HP jack plug it in and i get balanced sound that's what i was told .as for a DAC well i leaning towards the WYRED4SOUND DAC2  runs balanced has samplerates up to 24/192 very good DAC it seems .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Theres also a wyred4sound DAC1 which is 3 years old at a fraction of the price but samplerates only goes up 24/96 but it runs balanced wouldnt be to expensive to try see if there's an improvement decisions decisions .                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

There's always something better out there.  I have the DAC 2, but I haven't upgraded the innerds with the "se" (DSD and Clock chip).  I decided on the DAC 2 because, just like you, I needed the balanced XLRs to drive my Genelecs.  I'm now tossing around the idea of either upgrading the DAC 2 or jumping (at a HUGE expense) to the Chord Hugo TT, which also has balanced outputs.  The Wyred is a solid DAC, but the Hugo is in another class (in both price and sound).  

The cool thing about Wyred4Sound is that they offer upgrades on nearly everything they make, so you're never locked in to your current generation of product.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #33,294 of 42,298
What about using the WA22 with LCD-X? I am looking for slightly warm and very clean sound with good bass impact, details and expansive soundstage.  I am set on the LCD-x but I am looking for a tube amp for it. I am guessing tube wise 7236, TS 6F8 with adapters and maybe EML mesh as rectifier in the WA22? The DAC is MDAC with balanced outputs.

Or go all out and pull the trigger on WA5 with the tube upgrades and call it a day? But then again is it worth the $2000 extra over the WA22.  (I already have pairs of 5998, Bendix 6080, 7236, RCAs... that I would like to use).

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #33,295 of 42,298
  Well did a bit of research over the weekend about running the WA22 balanced so far what i found is that i need balanced cables from amp to dac of course, but what i also found is that i dont need a balanced HP cable or Neutrik connector to get a balanced sound out of HP i take my stock HP jack plug it in and i get balanced sound that's what i was told .as for a DAC well i leaning towards the WYRED4SOUND DAC2  runs balanced has samplerates up to 24/192 very good DAC it seems .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Theres also a wyred4sound DAC1 which is 3 years old at a fraction of the price but samplerates only goes up 24/96 but it runs balanced wouldnt be to expensive to try see if there's an improvement decisions decisions .                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I used to pair the DAC1 with WA22 and HD800, and HD800 sounds quite bright with DAC1 and WA22 combo. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #33,296 of 42,298

I used to pair the DAC1 with WA22 and HD800, and HD800 sounds quite bright with DAC1 and WA22 combo. 

Thanks for your imput , do you feel the HD800 is a bright HP to start with to your ears ,also as it is i am using the HD800 with the Burson Conductor which has same dac chip as W4S DAC .because to me the hd 800 are neutral yes but not bright .So im expecting a similar sound signature but maybe a bit better sounding 

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #33,297 of 42,298
  What about using the WA22 with LCD-X? I am looking for slightly warm and very clean sound with good bass impact, details and expansive soundstage.  I am set on the LCD-x but I am looking for a tube amp for it. I am guessing tube wise 7236, TS 6F8 with adapters and maybe EML mesh as rectifier in the WA22? The DAC is MDAC with balanced outputs.

Or go all out and pull the trigger on WA5 with the tube upgrades and call it a day? But then again is it worth the $2000 extra over the WA22.  (I already have pairs of 5998, Bendix 6080, 7236, RCAs... that I would like to use).

Lately I just got myself a WA22 already have the WA2 and  WA6 to me there very similar sounding will see how much of an improvement is the WA22 balanced but im not expecting alot i bought this amp more for its tube complement than for gain in sound quality that said i am very happy with all of these amps i listen to all of them .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       About what to buy ,are you getting into tube amps for the pleasure of collecting tubes experiencing the different flavors and types of tube and amps or you just want the best right away and stick to it like when you buy a SS amp ,you buy it and forget about it .Speaking for the amps i have i would go for the WA2 like i said i didnt try my WA22 balanced yet but i dont expect miracles and alot of headfiers prefer it to the WA22 and its alot cheaper .As for the WA5 i never heard it only thing i know is the good tubes for that amp are to expensive for me lol. Others may chime in with there experiences i think Badas which has a WA22 experienced the WA5 if im not mistaken .One last thing if you already have lots of tubes you can use with either amp you gotta take that into account to That's what i ended up doing . Good Luck 

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #33,298 of 42,298

If you want slightly warm of neutral then you will want NU 6F8G. That is a killer tube on my WA22. I have heard the LCDX with my WA22. I super liked it. Compared to my LCD3 it had a larger soundstage and more detail. My LCD3 was more relaxed.
  Lately I just got myself a WA22 already have the WA2 and  WA6 to me there very similar sounding will see how much of an improvement is the WA22 balanced but im not expecting alot i bought this amp more for its tube complement than for gain in sound quality that said i am very happy with all of these amps i listen to all of them .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       About what to buy ,are you getting into tube amps for the pleasure of collecting tubes experiencing the different flavors and types of tube and amps or you just want the best right away and stick to it like when you buy a SS amp ,you buy it and forget about it .Speaking for the amps i have i would go for the WA2 like i said i didnt try my WA22 balanced yet but i dont expect miracles and alot of headfiers prefer it to the WA22 and its alot cheaper .As for the WA5 i never heard it only thing i know is the good tubes for that amp are to expensive for me lol. Others may chime in with there experiences i think Badas which has a WA22 experienced the WA5 if im not mistaken .One last thing if you already have lots of tubes you can use with either amp you gotta take that into account to That's what i ended up doing . Good Luck 

Yes. I have heard both. On many occasions. My friend Tony is a great guy and has let be listen to some fantastic gear. No doubt about it. The WA5 improves on detail extension and soundstage. It does feel next level to me. There has been music sessions that I have thought "my WA22 couldn't get close to this". Sometimes I think it is the extra juice (power).
The WA22 is top class. It will keep ya satisfied for a very very long time. It's just the WA5 is next level.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #33,300 of 42,298
Thanks for your impressions Badas. Very helpful. Which rectifiers are you using btw?

No worries.

Brimer 5Z4GY. Lovely rectifier.
NU 6F8G. Drive tubes
Still rolling power tubes. Kinda funny but I seem to like cheap ones. The Russian 6H13's actually do a lot right and very little wrong. Sylvania 6080 is a wonderfully liquid tube with a lot of bass. Also does not do a lot wrong. I have more expensive power tubes like the TS 7236 and Bendix 6080 graphite plates. They did not impress.

Others may find this interesting. In the WA22 you really can't hear much difference between power tubes until you roll into the 6F8G type driver tube. The power tubes all sounded so similar using a 6SN7 driver.

Also I was getting a bit of noise from particular power tubes using the eBarf 6F8G to 6SN7 adapters. Once I installed the Glenn adapter all noise problems went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back