Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #30,616 of 42,298
I'm not having a shot at Jack Wu - I really like my WA6. He makes good gear.

The speil associated with the 7N7 and 6EM7 tube upgrades are quite specific about sonic improvements - and these were somewhat oversold IMHO. YMMV.

I'm glad I found the 6SN7 sweet spot for my WA6.
I'm not taking a shot either. I really like my WA6 and I'm also glad that I tripped over the 6SN7 sweet spot.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #30,617 of 42,298
Getting ready to put in an order for my WA5.. any advice on if the upgraded part is worth the money?
I'm thinking of not spending 1/3 the total amp cost for upgrade and put that money into tubes instead.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #30,618 of 42,298
  I'm not having a shot at Jack Wu - I really like my WA6. He makes good gear.

The speil associated with the 7N7 and 6EM7 tube upgrades are quite specific about sonic improvements - and these were somewhat oversold IMHO. YMMV.

I'm glad I found the 6SN7 sweet spot for my WA6.

EDIT - spiel from Woo website shown below. This is pretty strong marketing language and leads the customer to expect great things from the 7N7 and 6EM7 upgrades. For me, only the 6SN7 really delivered. 7N7 was harsh in the treble. 6EM7 was warm at the cost of detail.

As always, YMMV.

Agreed 100%

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #30,619 of 42,298
  I have the 300B Mesh in my WA5-LE and I used to have the 5U4G Mesh also.
I switch the 5U4G for the USF 596 because the 596 was more dynamic and faster. I have only compared the 300B Mesh to the EAT that I also own and I prefer the EML. It sound is more organic and the base goes deeper.

I have been very interested in the Psvane WE300B and CV181 MkII but I have not been able to find any reviews so if you buy them please let me know what do you think.

I have a pair of Psvane 12AX7 in my McIntosh Preamp and really like them. They are my second favorite after the Mullard CV4004 box plates at a much cheaper price.

I had a pair of the CV181 TIIs for my WA22 and one of the tubes died inside of 6 months.  PSvane has a reputation for having sporadic problems, and I guess I ended up with a bad one.  Before they died I think the NOS upgrades that I bought from Jack were better than the PSvane tubes.  It's been a while now, though.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #30,620 of 42,298
I'm just waiting for my U52 to arrive and I will be done with the tube buying for a bit.  Actually more anxious for this tube than I was the 422, because I loved the CV593, which everyone describes as the baby U52.  The WA22 is my end game amp, so figured may as well go all out and see how I can make her sing.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #30,621 of 42,298
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The GS-X Mark2 produced a smooth and well-articulated sound with silky transients and plenty of inner details with nary a trace of sibilance, hardness or glare. The feathery light and silky smooth transients of the GS-X Mk2 must be heard to be believed. The focus and imaging is very natural (neither forward nor recessed) and the soundstage was the largest I ever heard from the HD800 and HE-6 endowing the sound with the presence, air and layers of live music. The bass was tight and solid with tremendous impact. The greatest strength of the GS-X Mk2 is its ability to perform well with all kinds of headphones and all kinds of music.

With the Bakoon HA-21, the HE-6 sounded remarkably free as well of the hardness and glare often heard with other amps. There was plenty of bass with the HE-6 for Jazz and classical music, but I wished for a tad more impact here with rock music—this was a real surprise for a solid-state design; perhaps a bigger power supply is needed here but that may be quibbling. Where the Bakoon truly excelled was in the warm but also vividly detailed midrange. This is an uncanny sound quality that I have not heard from any other amps. If you like to hear warm vocals with vivid and rich details and smooth transients (guitars, violins…), this amp is ideal for you. The excellent way the Bakoon rendered female voices in particular is entrancing.

The Woo WA5 delivered a smooth midrange with outstanding presence thanks to a forward imaging and very tight focus. This sound was remarkably free of the hardness or glare usually associated with the HE-6. The bass, at once tight and weighty, a rare combination, was delivered with an authority that will rock your socks off. This was truly a match made in heaven for rock. Jazz- and Chamber-Music lovers will have much to like about the HE-6/Woo WA5 pairing as well. (upgraded parts + $1500 for Upgraded Royal Princess 300B tube and Princess 274B rectifier Tubes)

With the EAR HP-4, the HE-6 also produced a musical sound free of hardness and glare. The focus of the HE-6, typically a little fuzzy, became pin-point sharp here; the center image was also pushed a little forward to give a greater presence to vocals, similar to the beautiful results with the Woo WA5. In general, there was also increased air around the instruments and enlarged soundstage to improve the 3-D illusion. Surprisingly for tube design, while the bass was well controlled (read tight), very dynamic and perfect for classical music, it was not ideal for rock where a bid less control and perhaps more weight (mid-bass bloom) is desirable. Overall, the sound was detailed and dynamic, but also so open and relaxed that I frequently forgot to focus on it and was simply enjoyed the music. That’s the ultimate compliment I can give for an audio gear.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Justin! 

I suppose words cannot describe how good these amps are without one having listened to them. I listen to an eclectic range of music so it seems the WA5 would be a better amp for me than say the EAR HP4 (which you seem to suggest is fit for classical) and Bakoon (warm female vocals and instruments, I suppose, fit for small ensemble and jazz). Seems that the real contender for me would be the GSX MKII, unfortunately I have cancelled my order and went straight for the BHSE :p

Would you say that the WA5 is not as smooth in the transients and loses out in tonality? I seem to hear from owners of Eddie Current amps that WA5 is not as "smooth" as it should be and loses out on "musicality", whatever that means. I can't quite agree until I've heard those amps but I do enjoy the WA5 immensely.

yeah! the buy-back is taking longer than expected, sometime around the holidays I think, something to look forward too! 
biggrin.gif

WA5 definitely, in fact, i've been using it more than the speaker amp! The speaker amp is probably better overall (neutral, tons of power, bass), but the WA5 is just soo good!!

Hi DG. What do you find are the differences between the two?

I'm just waiting for my U52 to arrive and I will be done with the tube buying for a bit.  Actually more anxious for this tube than I was the 422, because I loved the CV593, which everyone describes as the baby U52.  The WA22 is my end game amp, so figured may as well go all out and see how I can make her sing.

You will love the U52. It is the best tube upgrade on my WA5 by far. Holographic imaging, warm and beautiful tonality, etc...

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #30,623 of 42,298
  My psvane tubes has arrived...
Definitely an improvement in every aspect.
The tubes need some run-in, lets give them 30 hours first..

the 300b?  nice

you talked a bit about the eml and the psvane 274b on wa5.  i have both and both sound very good.  to me, it's a coin flip.  very dynamic and transparent.  but i want to tube amp to sound tubey so i didn't care too much for neither.  but if i have to chose, i probably would take the psvane because they're cheaper, at least here in hong kong. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #30,624 of 42,298

Thanks Justin! 

I suppose words cannot describe how good these amps are without one having listened to them. I listen to an eclectic range of music so it seems the WA5 would be a better amp for me than say the EAR HP4 (which you seem to suggest is fit for classical) and Bakoon (warm female vocals and instruments, I suppose, fit for small ensemble and jazz). Seems that the real contender for me would be the GSX MKII, unfortunately I have cancelled my order and went straight for the BHSE :p

Would you say that the WA5 is not as smooth in the transients and loses out in tonality? I seem to hear from owners of Eddie Current amps that WA5 is not as "smooth" as it should be and loses out on "musicality", whatever that means. I can't quite agree until I've heard those amps but I do enjoy the WA5 immensely.

Hi DG. What do you find are the differences between the two?

You will love the U52. It is the best tube upgrade on my WA5 by far. Holographic imaging, warm and beautiful tonality, etc...

Speaker amp seems to have more bass, as well as tightness, and power, able to get alot louder, more dynamic. the soundstage isn't as nice as WA5 and the sound is not as textured or layered as the tubes, its more like neutral flat and there it is kinda thing. however, the speaker amp is very transprent and more detailed overall than Woo, it more than makes up for it and overall, balance is still great, the HE-6 are a little brighter but they still have a warm character to them, the amp isn't ever too cold or missing in life, the liquidity and speed of the GSX is heard well when using it as a pre-amp. it doesn't lose quality.

the WA5 has that tube midrange warmth character and euphony, its smoother, its more musical, bass isn't as strong or as tight, but there seems to be more depth to the bass, like more texture, body, and character, its more organic. the amp overall still isn't as detailed as solid-state, but just as transparent, also very revealing, and in many ways better. more musical as well as having a better overall synergy with the HE-6.

so yeah, I can live with the WA5, its powerful enough, just enough... and sounds fantastic. its a big step up from the rest of the woos, world class amp that seems to do just about everything right.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #30,625 of 42,298
Currently listening to Seasons by Pete Jolly thru the Wa2 :) :)

Also Daktari by Shelly Manne

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #30,626 of 42,298
Wow, someone who likes West Coast jazz from the 50s/60s!

This on vinyl.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #30,627 of 42,298

Speaker amp seems to have more bass, as well as tightness, and power, able to get alot louder, more dynamic. the soundstage isn't as nice as WA5 and the sound is not as textured or layered as the tubes, its more like neutral flat and there it is kinda thing. however, the speaker amp is very transprent and more detailed overall than Woo, it more than makes up for it and overall, balance is still great, the HE-6 are a little brighter but they still have a warm character to them, the amp isn't ever too cold or missing in life, the liquidity and speed of the GSX is heard well when using it as a pre-amp. it doesn't lose quality.

the WA5 has that tube midrange warmth character and euphony, its smoother, its more musical, bass isn't as strong or as tight, but there seems to be more depth to the bass, like more texture, body, and character, its more organic. the amp overall still isn't as detailed as solid-state, but just as transparent, also very revealing, and in many ways better. more musical as well as having a better overall synergy with the HE-6.

so yeah, I can live with the WA5, its powerful enough, just enough... and sounds fantastic. its a big step up from the rest of the woos, world class amp that seems to do just about everything right.

Thanks for the impressions. I think I'm not so anxious to grab a new amp / speaker amp now. In fact, my new pair of Tungsol BGRPs have arrived. The WA5 sounds like a new amp now, as I realise my old pair was defective and highly microphonic. 

Does it may sense to use the GSX as a pre for the WA5? :p

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #30,628 of 42,298

Thanks for the impressions. I think I'm not so anxious to grab a new amp / speaker amp now. In fact, my new pair of Tungsol BGRPs have arrived. The WA5 sounds like a new amp now, as I realise my old pair was defective and highly microphonic. 

Does it may sense to use the GSX as a pre for the WA5? :p

i tried it, it worked pretty well, i haven't tried it again since though. i think it added more power or at least it felt like it, and the WA5 became slightly less warm and took on some of the GSX's sound.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #30,630 of 42,298
Re-listed the WA6-SE + upgraded tubes again…I took it off the F/S Forum to listen to the HD-800's through it for 2 days.
Congratulations Joseph for cutting the ribbon on the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back