Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 29, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #30,601 of 42,298
Have anyone tried both the EML tubes and Psvane tubes on WA5?
I've just ordered a pair of  Psvane we300b, we274b and cv181 mark2 from a local dealer, and suddenly saw a pair of EML 300b mesh and 274B mesh for sale in the second market..
Are the EML's really 'better' or just personal preference on sound?

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #30,602 of 42,298
I've just ordered a pair of  Psvane we300b, we274b and cv181 mark2 from a local dealer, and suddenly saw a pair of EML 300b mesh and 274B mesh for sale in the second market..

I don't own the WA5…but I do own the WA6/WA6SE, and IME when it comes to tubes,  I found that I had to try various different tubes/tube combos/brands to find the sound I was looking for very costly but... So I personally believe it comes down to preference, but wouldn't exclude build quality from being "better". Also all tubes have their strong/weak points, so it depends on what your looking for. If it sounds good to you, then its good!
A great example is Woo Audios site saying that the 6GL7/6EM7 is the best upgrade tube for my two amps…and I hated them, and couldn't for the life of me understand how others like them, but some do, so...

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #30,603 of 42,298
  ... A great example is Woo Audios site saying that the 6GL7/6EM7 is the best upgrade tube for my two amps…and I hated them, and couldn't for the life of me understand how others like them, but some do, so...

I really don't understand the hype used in the tube descriptions on the Woo website. I bought the 6EM7 and 7N7 driver upgrades based on the wonderful descriptions - but neither came close to delivering what the 6SN7 driver upgrade did for me. Wasted money that would have been better spent on exploring more 6SN7 options.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #30,605 of 42,298

I have the 300B Mesh in my WA5-LE and I used to have the 5U4G Mesh also.
I switch the 5U4G for the USF 596 because the 596 was more dynamic and faster. I have only compared the 300B Mesh to the EAT that I also own and I prefer the EML. It sound is more organic and the base goes deeper.

I have been very interested in the Psvane WE300B and CV181 MkII but I have not been able to find any reviews so if you buy them please let me know what do you think.

I have a pair of Psvane 12AX7 in my McIntosh Preamp and really like them. They are my second favorite after the Mullard CV4004 box plates at a much cheaper price.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #30,606 of 42,298
  I don't own the WA5…but I do own the WA6/WA6SE, and IME when it comes to tubes,  I found that I had to try various different tubes/tube combos/brands to find the sound I was looking for very costly but... So I personally believe it comes down to preference, but wouldn't exclude build quality from being "better". Also all tubes have their strong/weak points, so it depends on what your looking for. If it sounds good to you, then its good!
A great example is Woo Audios site saying that the 6GL7/6EM7 is the best upgrade tube for my two amps…and I hated them, and couldn't for the life of me understand how others like them, but some do, so...

The 6EM7's were the only tubes I could use in my 6SE to tame the T1's highs that I was getting with other tubes, so they have their uses.

Everything to do with tube amps is personal preference. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #30,607 of 42,298
I really don't understand the hype used in the tube descriptions on the Woo website. I bought the 6EM7 and 7N7 driver upgrades based on the wonderful descriptions - but neither came close to delivering what the 6SN7 driver upgrade did for me. Wasted money that would have been better spent on exploring more 6SN7 options.
TonyN, with all do respect sir I completely understand your disappointment with your initial power/driver tube purchases. I offer you the possibility that Jack Wu picked those tubes as premium upgrades because they matched the engineering parameters that he feels, as a builder, would best match the technical specs for his hand built headphone amplifiers. I know that sentence was way too long, but it was just a speculative postulation on my part.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #30,608 of 42,298

Me either, I felt they drowned out all of the detail.

It was the 6SN7 options that took my 6 Special Edition to the next level; held my interest. 

I forget if it you who has the *special* adapters made by Glenn, right?
Otherwise the 6SN7 can't be used with the 6-SE.
EDIT: Never mind, it is you, you lucky dog! 
size]

The 6EM7's were the only tubes I could use in my 6SE to tame the T1's highs that I was getting with other tubes, so they have their uses.

Everything to do with tube amps is personal preference. 

Didn't mean any insult on your preference in any way (sorry), this was just my experience.
I agree 100%, it is a matter of personal preference.
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #30,610 of 42,298

very_evil_smiley.gif

But of course, someone can DIY or get adapters DIY'd for them.

Help me out here, please!!! 
confused_face(1).gif

What are you exactly saying, besides making them myself, I don't know what makes them *special* in order for them to work with the 6-SE. I even asked Jack if he could make them for me being Glenn mase them, and he didn't reply.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #30,611 of 42,298
TonyN, with all do respect sir I completely understand your disappointment with your initial power/driver tube purchases. I offer you the possibility that Jack Wu picked those tubes as premium upgrades because they matched the engineering parameters that he feels, as a builder, would best match the technical specs for his hand built headphone amplifiers. I know, that sentence was way too long, but it was just a speculative postulation on my part.

I'm not having a shot at Jack Wu - I really like my WA6. He makes good gear.

The speil associated with the 7N7 and 6EM7 tube upgrades are quite specific about sonic improvements - and these were somewhat oversold IMHO. YMMV.

I'm glad I found the 6SN7 sweet spot for my WA6.

EDIT - spiel from Woo website shown below. This is pretty strong marketing language and leads the customer to expect great things from the 7N7 and 6EM7 upgrades. For me, only the 6SN7 really delivered. 7N7 was harsh in the treble. 6EM7 was warm at the cost of detail.

As always, YMMV.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #30,612 of 42,298

probably not a huge upgrade from the psvane 274b.

i myself am using a pair of CV 593's on the WA5, i prefer them to EML, 596, and many others.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #30,613 of 42,298

Help me out here, please!!! 
confused_face(1).gif

What are you exactly saying, besides making them myself, I don't know what makes them *special* in order for them to work with the 6-SE. I even asked Jack if he could make them for me being Glenn mase them, and he didn't reply.

1. The adapters have a resistor inside
2. Jack doesn't believe the 6 Special Edition should run 6SN7 series tubes. Previously, a few owners may have used adapters without understanding the need for resistors. And returned the debris to WooAudio (ouch!)
3. Will connect with you via PM; see if I can assist with someone making you adapters.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #30,614 of 42,298

probably not a huge upgrade from the psvane 274b.

i myself am using a pair of CV 593's on the WA5, i prefer them to EML, 596, and many others.

Your signature is looking really clean there...and impressive! Is the Forte hogging HE-6 duty or do you have the WA5 gettin' in on some of that action?

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #30,615 of 42,298
  Your signature is looking really clean there...and impressive! Is the Forte hogging HE-6 duty or do you have the WA5 gettin' in on some of that action?

yeah! the buy-back is taking longer than expected, sometime around the holidays I think, something to look forward too! 
biggrin.gif

WA5 definitely, in fact, i've been using it more than the speaker amp! The speaker amp is probably better overall (neutral, tons of power, bass), but the WA5 is just soo good!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back