Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #30,572 of 42,298
Anyone with the Woo 6F8G adapters know of a way to make them seal just a little tighter on the top plug?  I have one adapter that just seems to sit on top, where as the other actually feels on there and tight.  I tried taking some tweezers and bending the connector inside a bit but didn't seem to do much.

Honestly, the Woo 596 adapter is kind of the same way, the adapter cable is almost just a bit to short so they just rest on the top of the tube instead of feeling secure.  Always worry about them kind of wobbling off, not that the amp is sitting on an earthquake testing table or anything.

Am I being paranoid about something that is not an issue really?  They just don't seem as high of quality as the amps themselves.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #30,573 of 42,298
  Anyone with the Woo 6F8G adapters know of a way to make them seal just a little tighter on the top plug?  I have one adapter that just seems to sit on top, where as the other actually feels on there and tight.  I tried taking some tweezers and bending the connector inside a bit but didn't seem to do much.

Honestly, the Woo 596 adapter is kind of the same way, the adapter cable is almost just a bit to short so they just rest on the top of the tube instead of feeling secure.  Always worry about them kind of wobbling off, not that the amp is sitting on an earthquake testing table or anything.

Am I being paranoid about something that is not an issue really?  They just don't seem as high of quality as the amps themselves.

I have both, Woo/Glenn 596 adapters…and the Glenn adapter is much better than Woo's adapter for the 596... the wires are longer, and the connectors for the top of the tube fit fully over the glass rods. I don't even use the Woo adapter, I have incase something happens to my Glenn adapter as a back-up. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #30,574 of 42,298

the Woo adapters are pretty bad, the glenn adapters are way better built, though the issue you speak of might be partly due to the tubes, the same thing happens to one of them on mine... not sure though, and not really an issue to me.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #30,575 of 42,298
Thanks both for the feedback, seems I might need to send another PM.  I would definitely blame the adapter unfortunately, as it is loose on all of the 6F8G tubes I have, but the other is a tighter fit on same tubes.  

Also don't like that the cable is on the same side for both adapters, so the left tube has the cable leaning against the rectifier unless I twist it a bit around, but that's a personal preference thing.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #30,576 of 42,298
Not sure about the 6FG8 adaptors, but my woo 596 adapters fit tightly for both wires and I wonder how much better can an adapter fit...
My only complaint is aesthetics as the white base really doesn't match my black wa22 too well  

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #30,577 of 42,298
I'm into aesthetics, too, I know what you're sayin'! Also, my adapter for The Mighty 596 - custom made by 2359glenn - were tight and fit right!

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #30,578 of 42,298
  Not sure about the 6FG8 adaptors, but my woo 596 adapters fit tightly for both wires and I wonder how much better can an adapter fit...
My only complaint is aesthetics as the white base really doesn't match my black wa22 too well  

Perhaps the quality control on the adapters is a bit less than that of the amps.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #30,579 of 42,298
Perhaps the quality control on the adapters is a bit less than that of the amps.
I'm using three Woo adapters in my Woo WA6, and even though the cables for the 596 > 5AR4 adapter are a bit short for the Mighty, they seem to work fine. I like the suggestion of getting a Glenn 596 adapter and using the Woo for a backup.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #30,580 of 42,298
  I have both, Woo/Glenn 596 adapters…and the Glenn adapter is much better than Woo's adapter for the 596... the wires are longer, and the connectors for the top of the tube fit fully over the glass rods. I don't even use the Woo adapter, I have incase something happens to my Glenn adapter as a back-up. 

the Woo adapters are pretty bad, the glenn adapters are way better built, though the issue you speak of might be partly due to the tubes, the same thing happens to one of them on mine... not sure though, and not really an issue to me.

I will take an alternative view.  I bought a pair of 6F8G adapters from Glenn that never worked, so it was money flushed down the toilet for me.  My Woo adapters work just fine...

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #30,581 of 42,298
P.S. I'm not trying to badmouth Glenn in any way.  I never asked him to correct the problem or reported the issue to him in any way.  I imagine he would have tried to make it right.  Instead I just bought another pair from Woo, which worked straight away.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #30,582 of 42,298
Wow. Massive thread.

I want to join the Woo Party.

I want a amp to run the Audeze LCD3.

Woo has too many options. I had thought of the Fireflies but decided they look a little not really serious.

Any recommendations?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #30,583 of 42,298
  Wow. Massive thread.

I want to join the Woo Party.

I want a amp to run the Audeze LCD3.

Woo has too many options. I had thought of the Fireflies but decided they look a little not really serious.

Any recommendations?

My LCD3's sound great through the WA22, with the right combination of tubes you can put plenty of power to them to make them sing.  I listen to mine nightly and haven't listened to another set of cans since I got them.  I am sure the WA5/LE would also push them without an issue.  The 6SE might be enough but I never tried mine through the 6SE when I had it hooked up.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #30,584 of 42,298
I thought

My LCD3's sound great through the WA22, with the right combination of tubes you can put plenty of power to them to make them sing.  I listen to mine nightly and haven't listened to another set of cans since I got them.  I am sure the WA5/LE would also push them without an issue.  The 6SE might be enough but I never tried mine through the 6SE when I had it hooked up.

Ha,

I thought that would be the answer. WA22.

Probably a little to rich for me right now. That is my pick of the range. I wish I had the $$

I"m kinda thinking WA6, WA6-SE or WA2.

What is the difference between WA3 and WA6? I can't work it out from their site.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #30,585 of 42,298
  I thought

Ha,

I thought that would be the answer. WA22.

Probably a little to rich for me right now. That is my pick of the range.

I"m kinda thinking WA6, WA6-SE or WA2.

What is the difference between WA3 and WA6? I can't work it out from their site.

I will let someone else explain the details of the difference between the two, I would screw it up.  I know my limits of my knowledge, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back