Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #13,788 of 42,298
I would be careful to have the volume turned down... thats it.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #13,790 of 42,298

Quote:
OK, thanks guy's.

Are you revisiting the scene of a shootout: LCD-2.v2 versus HD800?
popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #13,791 of 42,298

Quote:
 the 5u4g was too closed in for my taste (I'm only using Ed8s, which are closed in sounding by default).

This is my impression of every 5U4G I've heard.  As though everything is artificially reflected "inward" creating an intense center image.  The soundstage just seems to stop at a certain point instead of spreading out naturally.  I'm always wondering if the EML 5U4G is like this as well or if it is a bit closer to the 274B in presentation because the physical construction of the tubes appears identical.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #13,792 of 42,298

Quote:
This is my impression of every 5U4G I've heard.  As though everything is artificially reflected "inward" creating an intense center image.  The soundstage just seems to stop at a certain point instead of spreading out naturally.  I'm always wondering if the EML 5U4G is like this as well or if it is a bit closer to the 274B in presentation because the physical construction of the tubes appears identical.

If you had a EML 5U4G on loan, how much time would you require to sort this out?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #13,794 of 42,298

Quote:
Are you revisiting the scene of a shootout: LCD-2.v2 versus HD800?
popcorn.gif

Still too early SilentOne.  More break-in time required. Either way, I'll be keeping them both.

Let me put it this way. Would you rather kiss a women who's an extremely good kisser, but has really bad breath. Or, a women who's an OK kisser, but has the freshes breath you've ever kissed.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #13,795 of 42,298

Quote:

I don't find this to be the case with the HD800, but more so with the LCD-2's. I think source components can also vary the attributes for something like this.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #13,796 of 42,298
Please keep this between us and don't tell anyone else, but I did try them on the plane, and had to go back to my Bose noise canceling headphones.  Please don't tell any of the guys because I would not want it know that I am using a pair of Bose headphones.  Man I am still so jet lagged I don't know what end is up.  Really glad we have PM's here on the board.

Hey Mike - I had a pair of those Bose too (!), for plane use. I ditched them for a pair of IEMs (Ultimate Ears fit me best) - if you get a good seal in your ear on an IEM, they're almost as good as noise cancelling. No kidding! IMHO anyway.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #13,797 of 42,298

Quote:

Still too early SilentOne.  More break-in time required. Either way, I'll be keeping them both.

Let me put it this way. Would you rather kiss a women who's an extremely good kisser, but has really bad breath. Or, a women who's an OK kisser, but has the freshes breath you've ever kissed.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Hadn't quite seen it put like that before... 
dt880smile.png
  but which can represents the former/latter? Maybe I should fix dinner first!

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #13,798 of 42,298

Quote:

Hadn't quite seen put like that before... 
dt880smile.png
  but which can represents the former/latter? Maybe I should fix dinner first!

LCD-2 is an excellent kisser (but really uncomfortable to wear (compared to HD800), also a bit worried about listening fatigue) , but I really like the freshness of the HD800 (very comfortable, can wear them all day no problem without any fatigue at all).

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #13,799 of 42,298
Thanks again for the kind words everyone 
smile.gif

Quote:
grokit thanks a lot for the WA22 Rectifier comparison, very interesting. I'm particularly intrigued about your Sophia Princess impressions, I haven't heard it described as aggressive before,  I have however it described as bright and having thin bass, would you agree with that sentiment? 

You made me realize that I should have put a bit more focus on the bass of these tubes 
redface.gif

I will do that when I start re-comparing the "big three" in more detail a bit down the road. But my general impressions on my rig, with my tubes, is that the Sophia isn't lacking in bass impact or extension. But I will concede that it could be a little thin in comparison to the EML 5U4G and the Brimar, in the mid-bass area which where I consider "thickness" to reside. The Sophia isn't quite as thin as the EML 274B is in that area, but I am looking forward to trying that EML with different driver tubes as Xcalibur advised to see if I can 'rectify' that situation (pun unavoidable). I will update that comparison with the above impression re the bass on the Sophia, thanks!

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #13,800 of 42,298

Quote:

Those are the keepers for my Woo as well
beerchug.gif

Interesting analogy, but really bad breath? Yech!

Quote:
LCD-2 is an excellent kisser (but really uncomfortable to wear (compared to HD800), also a bit worried about listening fatigue) , but I really like the freshness of the HD800 (very comfortable, can wear them all day no problem without any fatigue at all).

When you say listening fatigue, are you referring to physical comfort fatigue, or something to do with the sound? If it's to do with the sound signature most impressions I have read are the opposite, but if you are referring to physical comfort I know what you mean; that also agrees with the impressions I have read as well as my own experience. I am on my second LCD-2 because of physical comfort issues, and my second HD800 because of sound signature issues, both of which have been resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back