Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 14, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #13,771 of 42,298

Quote:
I sort of got out of rectifier rolling after going the EML route because, in the end, if the tubes one keeps sampling don't achieve the same level of performance then they just sit in the tube box and collect dust for the most part once your initial curiosity is satisfied.  To my ears there is a pretty big difference between the EML and all of my NOS rectifiers so I decided I would always have an EML as my primary use tube.  They aren't superior in every way, and you hit on a couple of those facts in your writeup, but the EML seems to suit my own tastes very well so I figure why argue with that right?

I think there is a lot of potential to be found by tube rolling within our own collections though.  I have some 6SN7 which I'd written off as mediocre because they didn't sound great with the EML 274B.   But with further experimentation I found some of those tubes can sound really nice paired with other rectifiers.  Likewise I have a couple of driver tubes that I think *only* sound great when paired with the EML 274B.  There seems to be a certain kind of synergy between all the tubes in an amp, and when you find a really good combination things just sort of click.

Has anybody else noticed that rectifiers and driver tubes of a same brand often seem to work well together?  Probably not an accident either.  For example I found my Brimar 5R4GY and Brimar 6SN7GTY to work very nicely together, and the only time I ever thought my RCA greyglass had good tonal balance was when they were paired with my RCA 5RGY.  Tubes are a treasure chest of mysteries for the curious. 

Quote:
Wow, the forum software really bugged out with that last post.  I can't even edit it to fix it. 

Anyway my reply is within grokit's post and the first part that is unreadable was me stating I hadn't heard an EML 274B solid plate because they were already discontinued by the time I bought mine, and that I agreed with grokit's practice of using the same driver tube throughout the writeup.  I was just suggesting some possibilities for finding more enjoyment from his EML274B in the future when I talked about using different driver tubes with it.

There, I "fixed" it for you 
tongue.gif
   Text editing is definitely a challenge lately around here 
blink.gif

Tube synergy can be a difficult thing to wrap one's head around when there are so many combinations with three different kinds of tubes in the same amp. I feel fortunate to have a 6SN7 tube stage in my high-powered rig to try those "spare" driver tubes on their own.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #13,772 of 42,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Detailed impressions of the various bottles is always good for my wallet.

Originally Posted by SilentOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems then, head-fi is accomplishing some of its goals - grokit "nailed it" Olympic style!

Well it's backed me off from my tube lust for a while and thus my wallet stays intact.  When I actually see how deep the tube lust can run and how little I know I realize for a while I really don't have what it takes and I shy away until of course the lust begins again...Probably saved me a month in time.  Just means I'll be saving more though.   Does make the one tube Peak/Volcano more of a goal though.  Just one tube how wrong can I go...
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #13,773 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words. I just sent you a PM, as I've been wondering how it's going in DAC land
popcorn.gif

"Now, where were we?!" That's the question I kept asking myself in the last couple of hours. I started with the sole purpose of burning the Havana in, while listening in. And I ended up connecting all three DACs to my Mac; Stand alone DVD Player. And then playing the disc "Tanto Tempo Remixes" - Bebel Gilberto on the DVD Player & Mac simultaneously; queued the tracks on both within a second or two of each other and switched back-and-forth between the three DACs hearing the same track at the same time.

I'm almost certain if this had been my initial assignment at work and I deviated like that, I would have been down the street! Finished!! Fired!!! But it still would have been fun.  
biggrin.gif
  So now I got my focus back and will start the real session at 00:30 hours...

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #13,776 of 42,298
Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #13,777 of 42,298
grokit thanks a lot for the WA22 Rectifier comparison, very interesting. I'm particularly intrigued about your Sophia Princess impressions, I haven't heard it described as aggressive before,  I have however it described as bright and having thin bass, would you agree with that sentiment? 

Some of my thoughts rolling rectifiers with the WA22,

EML 274B - Wide soundstage, and it's great for certain kinds of music, like Jazz for example.. But to me the vocals sound a bit too distant, and rock/metal the sound is too cold and thin. Also I find the highs to be too harsh for my ears. Also I prefer this rectifier with 6080 power tubes, and 6SN7GT drivers . 

RCA 5U4GB - Warm and aggressive, narrow soundstage, smooth highs, great for rock/metal. Especially when paired with 7236 power tubes and Treasure drivers it has great punch. 

Shuguang 274B - It's better than nothing, and these apparently grow on trees because somehow I ended up having five of these, anyone want to trade for Sophia Princess? :wink:

RCA 5R4GY - A pretty good overall tube, from the rectifiers I have tested so far this is pretty much middle ground .

Now I wish I had money to get a EML 5U4G and a Sophia Princess. Also there is a plethora of 6SN7 tubes out there, and I'm sure there is probably one that would bring out the vocals more to my liking with the EML 274B. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #13,778 of 42,298
Grokit, I also wanted to thank you for the write-up. It was a pleasure reading your impressions.

Too bad you didn't have a GZ34 or GZ37 to throw into the mix as well. For a third of the price, I feel it pretty close to the EML 5U4G. Based on your impressions, it's probably similar to the Brimar 5AR4.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #13,779 of 42,298
The best system I ever heard had MBL speakers and all Reference Levinson gear.  Listened to "The Wall".   
Quote:
Love those MBL speakers, when I was in NY last year, I sat in the showroom for over an hour listening to those...

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #13,780 of 42,298
Sep 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #13,781 of 42,298
Quote:
From what I have read, I would like to try the solid plate version of it sometime, if anyone has one available please PM me as I would be willing to trade one of the mesh plate EMLs or purchase it.

Thanks for this writeup!  Glad to be of some assistance...

I must admit I find the conclusion RE: EML 274b mesh vs. 5u4g somewhat troubling - I have a 274b solid and I know at the time it came out sillysally mentioned it had better soundstage/bass than the mesh, but of course the tube has undergone many changes since, first and foremost it's significantly smaller. 

The depth of the soundstage on this old 274b is unreal - it sounds twice as deep as both the EML 5u4g and Princess 274b, also in contrast I find the highs to be much smoother.  The 3d effect, roundness of the notes, etc... things just seem to 'pop' out of space.  On the downside the sound is softer and less detailed, its not as exciting - the way you praise the Sophia I don't think you'd like it.

I don't know what to do when this 274b solid goes to the graveyard.  I'll probably take my chances with whatever is the current 274b mesh, the 5u4g was too closed in for my taste (I'm only using Ed8s, which are closed in sounding by default).

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #13,782 of 42,298

Quote:
The best system I ever heard had MBL speakers and all Reference Levinson gear.  Listened to "The Wall".   

X2, best system I've ever heard was playing the Wall as well (MFSL). Was on an Audio Research mono block system, with AR CD player, and Dunlavy SC-V loudspeakers. The most natural sounding system I've ever heard.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #13,783 of 42,298

Quote:
X2, best system I've ever heard was playing the Wall as well (MFSL). Was on an Audio Research mono block system, with AR CD player, and Dunlavy SC-V loudspeakers. The most natural sounding system I've ever heard.

I've bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall over the years.   Finally I realized I just don't like the Wall...

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #13,784 of 42,298

Quote:
I've bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall and bought the Wall and sold the Wall over the years.   Finally I realized I just don't like the Wall...

Not my favorite either. Just so happened that's what was playing....

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #13,785 of 42,298

MJ's "OFF THE WALL" on the other hand, now that was a monster! Heard it Amped; Bi-amped; Tri-amped and 'Blocked.' It always sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back