Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #8,641 of 42,298
Well, that chart explains why I have always felt that the WA6 drives the LCD-2 as well as the WA-2 does, even though other people have sworn I was nuts. The WA6 outputs slightly more power into the LCD-2's impedance as the WA2 does. And both are about half a watt, which is much more than I need for the levels I listen at.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #8,642 of 42,298

Quote:
I like the JAN Sylvania as a great price-performance tube. I personally use Mullard CV2492's in my WA2, but they are about $150/pair these days.

Well between Rob' s "planting the seed" and Frank's "closing" today...looks like you guys have spent some more of my money.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #8,643 of 42,298
What chart are you guys referring to?  Is it in the thread?

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #8,645 of 42,298

Quote:

I recently bought a Woo Audio 6SE with upgrades. I'm using it with AKG 702s and Lossless/Apogee Duet as source.
I love my system and I'm having a great time rediscovering my collection. I'm not planning on an upgrade anytime soon.
But with all the time I'm spending on this forum, I'm getting curious about the how it can sound any better. 
Can someone tell me what the sonic difference between the two amps:  WA5-LE VS WA6-SE??
The Woo Audio website comparison chart uses terms like Glorious, Fine and Great.. It all sounds Glorious to me. 
Also is the difference between the two amps worth the price tag, is it That audiable?

Well, I guess I am unusual in that I am going from a WA5 to a WA22.  I used the WA5 as my primary speaker amp for a while but couldn't seem to find any high efficiency speakers that I liked.  Tried 4 pair.  I finally decided I just don't care for the sound signature of high efficiency drivers.  So - Although the WA5 is an incredible amp, I sold it (to Audiogalore) and replaced it with a Cary SLI-80 Sig F1 for speakers (and headphones) and for a complement, a WA22 which will be here next week.

For you guys that have a WA22 and have considered / wondered about upgrading to a WA5 / LE, I should be able to give some feedback on that in a week or two.  I do have a balanced dac now (W4S) and balanced hp cables arriving next week also.  Tubes coming - Tung Sol 5998's, Tung Sol 5u4g, Sylvania 6sn7 GT brown base.  Can't wait!  I eventually plan to get an EML 5u4g and some TSBGRP but I am tapped at the moment.  Will have to wait a while on those.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #8,646 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, that chart explains why I have always felt that the WA6 drives the LCD-2 as well as the WA-2 does, even though other people have sworn I was nuts. The WA6 outputs slightly more power into the LCD-2's impedance as the WA2 does. And both are about half a watt, which is much more than I need for the levels I listen at.

If I recall correctly you prefer the 6FD7 in your WA6 right?  That should be the best case scenario for power output on the WA6, just a tiny bit higher even than the 6DR7 used in Jack's chart.  If the tube gain corresponds directly to output (I'm taking a leap on that one) then it would mean power output using a 6DE7 or 6EW7 is only a third of what is shown on the chart.  I'm not certain if my understanding is correct though.

edit:  oops, I had it backwards on the 6FD7.  It has a gain of 64 vs. 68 for a 6DR7 or 6CY7.  And the 6DE7 and 6EW7 has a gain of 17.5 so 1/3 power should be right.  I think the 6SN7 is 20 so the difference between it and a 6DE7 would be minimal.  Of course if gain and power output are not directly related I'm totally off base here.  :)

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #8,647 of 42,298
My WA6SE had a problem with a loose phone jack, the loose phone jack caused my SE male phone jack to work off and on and the 1/4" plug would wobble.

Anyway its not hard to tighten, just remember to hold the female phone jack from the inside of your Woo, because if you tighten from the outside you may turn the whole female jack assembly on the inside of your Woo. There is a possibility to cause a wire contacting the jack to come loose from the jack inside of the Woo turning.   

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #8,648 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, I guess I am unusual in that I am going from a WA5 to a WA22.  I used the WA5 as my primary speaker amp for a while but couldn't seem to find any high efficiency speakers that I liked.  Tried 4 pair.  I finally decided I just don't care for the sound signature of high efficiency drivers.  So - Although the WA5 is an incredible amp, I sold it (to Audiogalore) and replaced it with a Cary SLI-80 Sig F1 for speakers (and headphones) and for a complement, a WA22 which will be here next week.

For you guys that have a WA22 and have considered / wondered about upgrading to a WA5 / LE, I should be able to give some feedback on that in a week or two.  I do have a balanced dac now (W4S) and balanced hp cables arriving next week also.  Tubes coming - Tung Sol 5998's, Tung Sol 5u4g, Sylvania 6sn7 GT brown base.  Can't wait!  I eventually plan to get an EML 5u4g and some TSBGRP but I am tapped at the moment.  Will have to wait a while on those.  

Davo,

Glad to hear you are getting a WA22, welcome to the club.  I see you have an LCD-2 and an HD800.  I'd be interested in your take on the differences between the two.  I'd also like to know what you think about the TS 5998's.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #8,649 of 42,298
About the WooAudio's new comparison chart,
I can understand all the different qualtiesof the amps that can be measured, resolution of tone, dynamic response etc...

But how do they measure euphonia? Wouldn't an amp with a greater resolution of tone, soundstage result in greater euphonia? That is the only aspect on there that is not scientific, and subjective.

I'm curious why they consider WA22 to be more euphonic WA5LE even though wa5le is rated higher in other aspects.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #8,650 of 42,298

Quote:
I can understand all the different qualtiesof the amps that can be measured, resolution of tone, dynamic response etc...

But how do they measure euphonia? Wouldn't an amp with a greater resolution of tone, soundstage result in greater euphonia? That is the only aspect on there that is not scientific, and subjective.

I'm curious why they consider WA22 to be more euphonic WA5LE even though wa5le is rated higher in other aspects.

At-a-glance~

You could say the same for the WA6SE / WA2 columns. To me, it seems that it comes down to Woo's Topology, Tube Composition and execution. Have yet to hear a '5' but hearing a '22' does sound really sweet to my ears... 

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #8,651 of 42,298

Quote:
If I recall correctly you prefer the 6FD7 in your WA6 right?  That should be the best case scenario for power output on the WA6, just a tiny bit higher even than the 6DR7 used in Jack's chart.  If the tube gain corresponds directly to output (I'm taking a leap on that one) then it would mean power output using a 6DE7 or 6EW7 is only a third of what is shown on the chart.  I'm not certain if my understanding is correct though.

edit:  oops, I had it backwards on the 6FD7.  It has a gain of 64 vs. 68 for a 6DR7 or 6CY7.  And the 6DE7 and 6EW7 has a gain of 17.5 so 1/3 power should be right.  I think the 6SN7 is 20 so the difference between it and a 6DE7 would be minimal.  Of course if gain and power output are not directly related I'm totally off base here.  :)

For sure there is more power on tap with the 6FD7 I use than the stock 6DE7.    Maybe I have to try a 6DR7, but the difference in amplification factor is pretty small.  For anyone who has NOT tried the 6FD7 in the WA6, you really should.  Great sounding tube, dirt cheap, and does add power and dynamics to the WA6.

Quote:

I actually took the subjective ratings on their chart as being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, in terms of the words they chose.  But the actual stats are very interesting though.  It's fascinating what a power-monster the WA6-SE can be!  Too bad that where I use my WA6, there is no room for a 6SE.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #8,652 of 42,298
Thanks for that chart...really helkpful.  No wonder Jack recommended the 6SE foir my orthos.  As to the 'Euphonc', I'm guessing they are referring to the 'tubey' sound.  In my limited experience, the transformer coupled amps have less of that tubey warmth than OTL designs...that chart seems to agree. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #8,653 of 42,298
After reading " The List " we should probably be drooling over the WES.  I've never had the opportunity to listen to electrostatics.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8,654 of 42,298

Quote:
Davo,

Glad to hear you are getting a WA22, welcome to the club.  I see you have an LCD-2 and an HD800.  I'd be interested in your take on the differences between the two.  I'd also like to know what you think about the TS 5998's.

Thanks Mike!  I'll let you know something after I spend some time with the amp / tubes.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #8,655 of 42,298
What is the difference between the high and low outputs on the WE6SE? I generally understand the difference between high and low impedance headphones and the relative needs for volts or amps. When you have an "inefficient" but relatively low impedance headphone like the HE-5/6, for example, would selecting the low output actually offer more amps to drive them? Or in the case of an inefficient low impedance headphone would you go with the high output? I guess I need to understand what effect different gain settings have from an amp, or simply put I guess I don't really understand what gain is exactly?

From some of the more recent post I am coming to understand that I will need to learn how tube selection will affect power output.

I am asking this question because my HE-5LE's will arrive this week and after hearing so much about what it takes to drive them I want to know how I should connect them. I have in the past found that I often prefer the sound at a higher gain setting on my amps even with some IEM's and low impedance headphones, but I have selected on what I like to hear, not with the real knowledge of what the cause and effect is.

I was hesitant to go with an HE because of all that I've read about properly driving the 5's and especially the 6's and almost decided to order and wait for the LCD2's, but after listening to the 5's at a recent meet on the SE(I really enjoyed them) and after reading some good reports of them being adequately driven by the SE I am hopeful my Woo will be up to the task!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back