Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #8,626 of 42,298

Quote:
I had my T-1's plugged in with 1/4" plug in the WA22 and by mistake pulled the cord a bit.  My signal went weak and I could see the plug not perpendicular to the face plate.  Moved the cord back and it disappeared.  Asked Jack Wu and he said some of the 1/4" plugs on the T-1's were a little smaller thus causing this.  Don't know.  The TRS never seemed really solid to begin with.  When you plug into my old HeadRoom it is super solid.   I do know after this I'm shipping these to Moon Audio to have dual XLR's for termination.  Let's not digress into the balanced/not issue here.  Anyone else experience this?

I have noticed that the single ended cable I have has a "wiggle" connection issue on my WA22 as well.  I tried the same single ended cable in a few other pieces of gear and it fits snugly, the connection on the WA22 seems the loosest.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #8,627 of 42,298

Quote:
I had my T-1's plugged in with 1/4" plug in the WA22 and by mistake pulled the cord a bit.  My signal went weak and I could see the plug not perpendicular to the face plate.  Moved the cord back and it disappeared.  Asked Jack Wu and he said some of the 1/4" plugs on the T-1's were a little smaller thus causing this.  Don't know.  The TRS never seemed really solid to begin with.  When you plug into my old HeadRoom it is super solid.   I do know after this I'm shipping these to Moon Audio to have dual XLR's for termination.  Let's not digress into the balanced/not issue here.  Anyone else experience this?

I won't say that any pair of headphones sound better balanced or not, but the WA22 sure does, especially if you are using balanced inputs. It's not the first time I have read about physical weaknesses with the TRS socket on it, mine feels a bit on the loose side as well.

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #8,628 of 42,298

Quote:
I have noticed that the single ended cable I have has a "wiggle" connection issue on my WA22 as well.  I tried the same single ended cable in a few other pieces of gear and it fits snugly, the connection on the WA22 seems the loosest.

My single ended cable is a good tight fit. No wiggle room here. My WA22 was built in October of 2009. It's almost a 1-1/2 years old! :)

Well I ordered it in October and it was delivered in December so it really isn't quite that old yet. That was an eight-week wait. Whew!

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #8,629 of 42,298

Quote:
My single ended cable is a good tight fit. No wiggle room here. My WA22 was built in October of 2009. It's almost a 1-1/2 years old! :)

Well I ordered it in October and it was delivered in December so it really isn't quite that old yet. That was an eight-week wait. Whew!

Eight weeks!  That is a long time, but I am sure worth the wait.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #8,630 of 42,298

Quote:
Eight weeks!  That is a long time, but I am sure worth the wait.

I know. Eight weeks was a long long time for me to wait. Jack originally gave me a six-week estimate before I ordered it. Then they discovered that the WA22 chassis were defective and had to wait for the new chassis to arrive which delayed the production. Later when the amp was completed and ready to be shipped, Jack had to wait again because an order of rectifiers didn't arrive on time so that pushed back the ship date as well. Jack kept me up to date on its build process and back then--in 2009--a six week wait was the norm. So an additional two weeks seemed nothing. Of course building the amp during the holiday months probably didn't help either.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #8,631 of 42,298

Quote:

You forget the Brimar CV1988, IMHO, it is better than the Treasures.  He must have some good contact to get the GEC 6AS7G, I have been trying to get another pair for a long while and unable to find a perfect NOS pair.

I'm about to find out what the fuss is over the Brimar CV1988 as I type this actually, though mine are not the rare black glass variety.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #8,632 of 42,298

Quote:

I would contact Jack to see what his take is on this, the new current " fourth revision" of the EML 5U4G is supposed to make it a more rugged and reliable tube but regardless of the great sound I can't see this being normal behavior. 

Vinyll, would you happen to know if the EML 274B tubes are receiving these design updates too, or is it focused solely on the 5U4G tube?  Thanks.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #8,633 of 42,298

This is a bit off topic, but we are all friends here who share.

Our home town newspaper had a pun contest this last week.  I sent in ten entries and hoped that one would win, but no pun in ten did.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #8,634 of 42,298

Quote:

This is a bit off topic, but we are all friends here who share.

Our home town newspaper had a pun contest this last week.  I sent in ten entries and hoped that one would win, but no pun in ten did.

A bit off topic? Waaaaay off topic.

Har de har har har. (That's the old and long version of LOL.) I had to read the last 5 words 2x and slowly before I got it. Thanks for making my Friday a little more kooky--hehehe.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #8,635 of 42,298

I recently bought a Woo Audio 6SE with upgrades. I'm using it with AKG 702s and Lossless/Apogee Duet as source.

I love my system and I'm having a great time rediscovering my collection. I'm not planning on an upgrade anytime soon.

But with all the time I'm spending on this forum, I'm getting curious about the how it can sound any better. 

Can someone tell me what the sonic difference between the two amps:  WA5-LE VS WA6-SE??

The Woo Audio website comparison chart uses terms like Glorious, Fine and Great.. It all sounds Glorious to me. 

Also is the difference between the two amps worth the price tag, is it That audiable?

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #8,636 of 42,298

Quote:

I recently bought a Woo Audio 6SE with upgrades. I'm using it with AKG 702s and Lossless/Apogee Duet as source.

I love my system and I'm having a great time rediscovering my collection. I'm not planning on an upgrade anytime soon.

But with all the time I'm spending on this forum, I'm getting curious about the how it can sound any better. 

Can someone tell me what the sonic difference between the two amps:  WA5-LE VS WA6-SE??

The Woo Audio website comparison chart uses terms like Glorious, Fine and Great.. It all sounds Glorious to me. 

Also is the difference between the two amps worth the price tag, is it That audiable?

My amp is the WA22 which is in the middle and I would use those terms; glorious, fine and great - along with others to describe my listening experience.  There is a richness and rightness to the sound that I stop listening for different components of the sound, and let the music come through.  It is so right that I stop listening for what could be wrong and let it in.  It's the best piece of gear I have ever owned. 

To add to that, this thread is very rewarding to Woo users because there are people here that are highly knowledgable about tubes and so forth and they are willing to share their experiences and you get the benefit of that.  Of all of the audio boards, this is the one I hang out on, and this thread especially.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #8,637 of 42,298
I've never seen that comparison chart, it must be fairly new. 

It was also informative.  So Jack says the WA22 is the most euphonic amp he makes, even more so than a WA5.  That put to rest my final concern over wanting to upgrade to one.  The chart seems particularly helpful for upgraders, actually, as it helps to show where gains can be made.  So the WA6 has the weakest dynamics of any Woo amp, something my ears have been telling me is a weakness of the amp from day one.  The difference in power output is also less than I was expecting, especially the normal output on the WA5.  I do wish that part of the chart were more detailed, as it seems to be a best case scenario sort of thing with the WA22, WA6SE and WA6 all using the highest gain version of their tubes rather than the "standard" tube complement.  I'd like to know what my amp does with a 6DE7 (or in my case a 6SN7 actually) too, but in the end they are just numbers and while it is nice to know it certainly isn't a necessity.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8,638 of 42,298

Quote:
I've never seen that comparison chart, it must be fairly new. 

It was also informative.  So Jack says the WA22 is the most euphonic amp he makes, even more so than a WA5.  That put to rest my final concern over wanting to upgrade to one.  The chart seems particularly helpful for upgraders, actually, as it helps to show where gains can be made.  So the WA6 has the weakest dynamics of any Woo amp, something my ears have been telling me is a weakness of the amp from day one.  The difference in power output is also less than I was expecting, especially the normal output on the WA5.  I do wish that part of the chart were more detailed, as it seems to be a best case scenario sort of thing with the WA22, WA6SE and WA6 all using the highest gain version of their tubes rather than the "standard" tube complement.  I'd like to know what my amp does with a 6DE7 (or in my case a 6SN7 actually) too, but in the end they are just numbers and while it is nice to know it certainly isn't a necessity.

I'd never heard of the word euphonic before.  So the WA22 has a surreal euphonic quality to it.  Cool.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #8,639 of 42,298
I'd never seen that chart either, it's nice to know that the WA22 is capable of higher headphone output wattage (for the non-K1000/speaker jack outputs) at all nominal impedances than the WA5/LE is. Surprisingly, the WA6LE is capable of even higher wattage into these same impedances. The WA22 maximum ratings are using the 7236 power tubes, wouldn't it be even higher with the 5998s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back