Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #5,236 of 42,298

Quote:
One more for you Clayton, the CuTFs in my WA5LE lately. First step of my mod.

hi dannie,
i'd recommend you bypass those v-caps with another pair of v-caps rated at 0.01 uf/ 300vdc. this will improve
the imaging presented and give better focus and weight to the higher frequencies by minimizing distortion, imo.
i've bypassed my wa6 and it sounds better with than without it. it actually makes the 6de7 sound less distorted
and more refined now.

if budget is an issue, try the russian teflon caps rated at 0.01 uf/ 200v or 600v (it's very big
though). it's surprisingly good. i'm using some paper in oil caps rated at 0.22 uf/630v with
the russian teflon bypassed. it gives a better presentation than any other cap combo i've
experimented with. the russian teflon cap is designated FT (ftoroplast) or K72.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #5,237 of 42,298

Quote:
hi dannie,
i'd recommend you bypass those v-caps with another pair of v-caps rated at 0.01 uf/ 300vdc. this will improve
the imaging presented and give better focus and weight to the higher frequencies by minimizing distortion, imo.
i've bypassed my wa6 and it sounds better with than without it. it actually makes the 6de7 sound less distorted
and more refined now.

if budget is an issue, try the russian teflon caps rated at 0.01 uf/ 200v or 600v (it's very big
though). it's surprisingly good. i'm using some paper in oil caps rated at 0.22 uf/630v with
the russian teflon bypassed. it gives a better presentation than any other cap combo i've

You guys are Mad Scientists!
I mean...
You guys are Mod Scientists!
Fantastic.
I really wish I could watch you do your mods. It's just as interesting to hear about process as it is to watch you actually work your re-magic.
Good work guys and thanks for posting your mods. It's like peering into someone's secret lab.
Of course those cap descriptions are Greek to me. But it looks cool, nonetheless.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5,238 of 42,298

Quote:

hi dannie,
and more refined now.

Thanks takezo, will do that later and I'll check the russian cap FT (ftoroplast) or K72.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5,239 of 42,298
For when you run out of mods, dannie01.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #5,240 of 42,298
It's here:  the last rectifier tube I ever intend to buy for this amp.

I have it paired with the Sylvania Bad Boys right now.  I went with the 274B Mesh rather than the 5U4G that seems to have become more popular.  I tried and tried but never really did find a conclusive comparison between the two that was helpful in determining which to buy.  So, I just went for whichever one was more consistently described with the sound characteristics that were most important to me.  As of right now it has about 10 minutes of burn in time on it so I will refrain from posting impressions.  I know the EML tubes need time to cook before they shine.  I will say that brand spankin new it sounds way nicer than my RCA 5R4GYB.  The sound is more organic and the soundstage/imaging is more coherent.  When the tube starts to gain transparency I can already tell it will be amazing.

As for the Bad Boys, I'm impressed with them too.  Their tonal balance is more or less a perfect match for me, and for my headphones.  I think they are actually a little bit too airy (never thought I'd say such a thing), but I'm very pleased with how they are turning out.  I was worried they might end up a bit too dark with the EML, but my ears are telling me that is not the case right now.  That is basically how I knew I had found real Bad Boys, because otherwise the treble would have been too bright for me.  Sylvanias generally are in my case.

More later. 

Amazing pics btw guys.  I wish I knew enough to perform my own mods.  I have been wondering what my amp would sound like with Auricaps or Mundorf Silver Oils inside.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #5,243 of 42,298

Quote:
It's here:  the last rectifier tube I ever intend to buy for this amp.

I have it paired with the Sylvania Bad Boys right now.  I went with the 274B Mesh rather than the 5U4G that seems to have become more popular.  I tried and tried but never really did find a conclusive comparison between the two that was helpful in determining which to buy.  So, I just went for whichever one was more consistently described with the sound characteristics that were most important to me.  As of right now it has about 10 minutes of burn in time on it so I will refrain from posting impressions.  I know the EML tubes need time to cook before they shine.  I will say that brand spankin new it sounds way nicer than my RCA 5R4GYB.  The sound is more organic and the soundstage/imaging is more coherent.  When the tube starts to gain transparency I can already tell it will be amazing.

As for the Bad Boys, I'm impressed with them too.  Their tonal balance is more or less a perfect match for me, and for my headphones.  I think they are actually a little bit too airy (never thought I'd say such a thing), but I'm very pleased with how they are turning out.  I was worried they might end up a bit too dark with the EML, but my ears are telling me that is not the case right now.  That is basically how I knew I had found real Bad Boys, because otherwise the treble would have been too bright for me.  Sylvanias generally are in my case.

More later. 

Amazing pics btw guys.  I wish I knew enough to perform my own mods.  I have been wondering what my amp would sound like with Auricaps or Mundorf Silver Oils inside.

Nice trio! Perhaps, October, I'd like to swap out my Sophia Princess for a BIG, BOLD & beautiful EML Mesh. Couldn't find any thoughts on the 274B Mesh vs 5U4G Mesh from members; the Web. Wait... something just caught my eye. I noticed your labels read '6DE7 to 6SN7.' On my adapters for the WA6SE read the reverse. A concern or just editing on Glenn's part? (Will send him a PM) He adds a resistor & capacitor for SE models. But shouldn't the direction be the same? My 6SN7s arrive Thur/Fri and I'm hoping there will be no further delays on the count of tubes/adapters. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #5,244 of 42,298
Don't worry about the label order.  The socket order cannot be wrong or you wouldn't be able to use them.  Be it a WA6 or WA6SE the socket itself is the same.

While we are speaking of adapters, I got a pair from Jack while I was ordering the EML tube just to have a second set.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't make these himself.  The quality is not nearly as good as Glenn's adapters, and I would recommend to others sticking with Glenn for their adapter needs.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #5,246 of 42,298

Quote:
Those tubes are actually called "bad boys"?

It's a nickname given to this particular Sylvania tube by audiophiles.  It has a very different sound from the typical Sylvania tube, with a slightly dark and mellow presentation.  Most Sylvanias are more lively with an aggressive top end.  The 3-holes per plate is the key, many Sylvania tubes look like this but have 2-holes per plate and sound different.  Though, supposedly only this exact tube (small green print, black base, silver rectangular top mica, bottom side getter, 3-holes per plate, JAN military tube, vertically printed date code) is a real bad boy.  Further more it is claimed that only the tubes made in this style in 1952 are true bad boys, but I really do not buy this at all.  Mine are '51s as can be seen by the visible date code on the left tube.

The reason I trust I have the real deal is the sound.  Most people agree the Sylvania tubes from this period have a lively sound regardless of the construction type, and the bad boy does not.  It is more lush and airy.  That is exactly the sound I hear from them.  Of course some of this is generalization, but this is the first tube I've found that doesn't have a "but" attached to it so I'm happy regardless of whether it is a true this or that.  :)

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #5,247 of 42,298

Quote:
Don't worry about the label order.  The socket order cannot be wrong or you wouldn't be able to use them.  Be it a WA6 or WA6SE the socket itself is the same.

While we are speaking of adapters, I got a pair from Jack while I was ordering the EML tube just to have a second set.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't make these himself.  The quality is not nearly as good as Glenn's adapters, and I would recommend to others sticking with Glenn for their adapter needs.

That's reassuring to know, Xcalibur. I've been waiting nearly a month for a new sound. I ordered a pair of 6FD7 tubes and there was a delay in shipment. When they finally arrived, one tube was DOA. Jack requested a photo for matching. Another week went by as he didn't find a match. After an additional week passed, I ordered adapters from Glenn, asked Jack for credit and only ordered my 6SN7s last Friday. A 9 or 10 September delivery at last!

Anyone ever die of suspense with the headphones on?

Post Script.: Glenn just put me at ease as well... a printing preference.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #5,248 of 42,298
I have a WA6SE (stock) and I'm currently using the Sophia Princess and a pair of Sylvania 6EW7s.  Is the EML 5U4G mesh a compatible substitute for the Princess, or does it require any modification?  I've been reading this thread but can't find any mention of the 5U4G with the WA6SE, specifically.  I'd like to try a different rectifier, but don't want to do any mods to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back