Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #41,131 of 42,298
There my next move :) I saw one on the classifieds recently (may still be there) with Taks I believe, going forward something like $7k and was very tempted, but not quite there yet, financially. Did you get the maxed out WA33 or the “base”? What tubes are you running and what’s a quick take on comparing to the WA5? Was it worth it for you?
I have the standard edition with the RK50 volume pot. Running EML 2A3, Tak 274B, and 6C45Pi Electro Harmonix gold pin tubes.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #41,132 of 42,298
I always liked the WA5le. The sound stage and timbre were very good. Layering was also excellent. The WA33 improves on the speed and accuracy. Kind of like a good SS with the advantages of tubes. To me it was worth it. The EE I'm sure is even better, I just couldn't justify the extra cost. The WA33 is also a very good preamp, so that is an extra bonus.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #41,133 of 42,298
Excellent setup you have there. Thank you for the info. Very helpful in my quest.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #41,134 of 42,298
Wish the WA33 had speaker outs - my WA5 is really great with efficient speakers.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #41,135 of 42,298
Man, I was expecting an upgrade form the Mjolnir 2, but this thing is a beast. The seller had the Sophia Royal Princess 300B and Sophia Royal rectifiers and some Sylvania JAN on there. This has been my dream amp for over a decade. I used to have a WA6 and WA6-SE, but this is a different beast. Unreal. I'm so loving this amp right now.

Was looking at some Psvane ACME 300B and 274Bs along with their UK-6SN7, but I don't think it's necessary. How much better can it get :)

Btw, does anyone know if a UK-6SN7 would even fit next to any 300B on the WA5? They seem awfully close.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #41,136 of 42,298
Hi all,

I just bought a used WA5-LE. I took it out of the box and when I lift the power supply it feels like the whole internal part or some big piece of it is wiggling inside like it is suspended on some kind of spring. Is this by design or is something unscrewed inside? I don't hear anything clanking.

Thank you.
That doesn’t sound right to me

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #41,137 of 42,298
That doesn’t sound right to me
Sorted it out. It wasn't right. The rear transformers were loose at the bottom. Both nuts. They were wiggling on the long screws from the bottom of the case. I'm a bit concerned about how the heck that happened, since Woo has some split washers in there on all nuts, but whatever. Everything works great as far as I can tell and it's a marvel to listen to. Hopefully it'll last :) Package didn't look banged up, but it is a heavy amp. Who knows how they threw it around or if it was like that before it shipped.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #41,138 of 42,298
Well as
Sorted it out. It wasn't right. The rear transformers were loose at the bottom. Both nuts. They were wiggling on the long screws from the bottom of the case. I'm a bit concerned about how the heck that happened, since Woo has some split washers in there on all nuts, but whatever. Everything works great as far as I can tell and it's a marvel to listen to. Hopefully it'll last :) Package didn't look banged up, but it is a heavy amp. Who knows how they threw it around or if it was like that before it shipped.
Well as long as you figured it out and fixed it, thats what’s important, Im very happy with the one I have and I just finish maxing out the tubes, so nothing left but to relax and enjoy the music.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #41,139 of 42,298
Well as

Well as long as you figured it out and fixed it, thats what’s important, Im very happy with the one I have and I just finish maxing out the tubes, so nothing left but to relax and enjoy the music.

Can you define maxing out for me, please? It came with Sophia Royal Princess and Sophia Princess rectifiers and what looks like a Sylvania brown base JAN for drivers. I was looking at Psvane ACME 300B and 247B and probably their UK-6SN7 drivers, if they fit. Can you share what you have on yours?

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #41,140 of 42,298
Can you define maxing out for me, please? It came with Sophia Royal Princess and Sophia Princess rectifiers and what looks like a Sylvania brown base JAN for drivers. I was looking at Psvane ACME 300B and 247B and probably their UK-6SN7 drivers, if they fit. Can you share what you have on yours?
Max out for me is I am not putting anymore money into this system (for now) I did the best I can do based on what I read in theses pages. I believe I have a very good tube amp and all I need to do now is enjoy it. As far as the tubes go I have takatsuki ta-274b, takatsuki ta-300b and a pair of CBS Hytron 5692s the 274s & 5692s have around 100 hours on them, so I will not comment on how they sound yet, but they do sound better than what came with the amp.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #41,141 of 42,298
Max out for me is I am not putting anymore money into this system (for now) I did the best I can do based on what I read in theses pages. I believe I have a very good tube amp and all I need to do now is enjoy it. As far as the tubes go I have takatsuki ta-274b, takatsuki ta-300b and a pair of CBS Hytron 5692s the 274s & 5692s have around 100 hours on them, so I will not comment on how they sound yet, but they do sound better than what came with the amp.

That is maxing out indeed :) Happy listening and thanks for the info.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #41,142 of 42,298
Tried to search for this noise adjustment attenuator under the handles of the WA5. I see in the manual that if there is hum on the headphones, you can fix it with this. I have a Stelia, which is fairly low impedance connected to the Low input (this is a Gen 1 WA5-LE). After about 11 o' clock I can hear noise, if no music is playing. I can't play louder than 9 o' clock, so it's not a real issue. I expect tubes to have noise past a certain dB level. However, is there a way to optimize the attenuator setting? Do you plug a headphone in without music playing, adjust the pot to say 12 o' clock or some high number, then adjust the noise attenuator until you hear no noise or what?

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #41,143 of 42,298
Pretty hard to get rid of all noise on a tube amp. Especially with sensitive headphones. If you can’t hear any at normal listening levels without music playing, I would leave it alone. Even SS will have some noise at high volume with sensitive iems.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #41,144 of 42,298
Another 300B to consider is the EML 300B mesh. I ran those in my WA5le with good results. The Taks are probably better, but the EML’s are about $800 for a pair. So much more affordable. Also the EML 5U4G mesh are very nice upgrade.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #41,145 of 42,298
Pretty hard to get rid of all noise on a tube amp. Especially with sensitive headphones. If you can’t hear any at normal listening levels without music playing, I would leave it alone. Even SS will have some noise at high volume with sensitive iems.

Agreed. No such aspirations. Just looking to see if there is a process for optimization as far as noise goes and use of these attenuators. I haven't had them on any other amps I've owned, so not sure how everyone uses them. But correct, I have no noise at normal listening levels even with sensitive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back