Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #39,077 of 42,298
To Woo owners -- is going for a 300B and for headphone use worth it?

I think you can get good sound for cheaper if you go the solid state route. If you're interested in tubes, there's (1) the amps look cool (2) with tubes you have a lot of flexibility to alter/customize the sound via tube rolling (3) it's freaking expensive LOL (4) I really like my WA5 w/ 300B. It's still my favorite amp. I've heard the WA22 and I would pick the WA5 in a heartbeat over that. When I got mine I wanted tubes, I've never had anything like it before. It's been a lot of fun.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #39,078 of 42,298

For me, the performance gap between the WA22 and WA5 was worth the extra $$. The WA22 was slightly better than the WA6SE except on balanced sources where it was noticeably better. The WA5 was all around better, eliciting the first "wow" I've had with a headphone system compared to a speaker setup.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #39,079 of 42,298

I think you can get good sound for cheaper if you go the solid state route. If you're interested in tubes, there's (1) the amps look cool (2) with tubes you have a lot of flexibility to alter/customize the sound via tube rolling (3) it's freaking expensive LOL (4) I really like my WA5 w/ 300B. It's still my favorite amp. I've heard the WA22 and I would pick the WA5 in a heartbeat over that. When I got mine I wanted tubes, I've never had anything like it before. It's been a lot of fun.

For me, the performance gap between the WA22 and WA5 was worth the extra $$. The WA22 was slightly better than the WA6SE except on balanced sources where it was noticeably better. The WA5 was all around better, eliciting the first "wow" I've had with a headphone system compared to a speaker setup.

I agree with what @phase0 and @davehg said about the WA5.  It is an incredible amp, and is well worth the asking price.  It's my endgame amp right now.

On the solid state side of things.  I've tried a lot of SS amps and haven't found one that bests the WA5.  Everyone has different ears and tastes so YMMV.

The down side to the WA5 is the total cost of ownership.  A pair of WE 300b tubes can cost more than you paid for the amp.....

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #39,080 of 42,298

"Worth it" is some kind of personal justification, I will tell mine very soon how the WA5 (more than double the price of a WA22) is doing, a 300B amp drive both speaker and headphone definitely delivers maximized value.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #39,081 of 42,298
  Just a reminder to all you guys an interesting find on eBay, WA5 in 300B Mono-block pairs. I sincerely hope the AMPs to be enjoyed by someone who will appreciate them! Help with a push, check ]this offer at ebay if interested.

It would be difficult to buy a better 300B mono-block speakers amp at this price. My Cary Audio 805 AE cost me nearly $7K used. Bought it before I joined Woo Audio.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #39,084 of 42,298
@HiFiGuy528
 can these be modified for headphone use?

A speaker tap would work. It would sound great as well. I've heard a speaker tap attached to a WA5 and the tap sounded better than the HP output. The only concern would be volume control. With a tap you would have to be very careful not to blow up your HP.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #39,085 of 42,298

It would be difficult to buy a better 300B mono-block speakers amp at this price. My Cary Audio 805 AE cost me nearly $7K used. Bought it before I joined Woo Audio.

What kind of speakers could these drive? do you mean desktop speakers..enjoy

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #39,086 of 42,298

No, regular speakers.

Something super efficient. These WA5s put out about 8wpc, and SET amps like high impedances, like 8 ohm and higher, and 89db sensitivity or higher. Tannoy, Triangle, Klipsch, PSB models are good mainstream choices. I am running a pair of ProAc Super Tablettes, and while 2x the power would be ideal, they sound fantastic on the WA5.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #39,087 of 42,298

I have a pair of GoldenEar Triton 3 tower speakers. The sound great with the WA5. They also have their own power for the integrated subs. I have to haul the WA5 and DAC into that room so it's not a regular thing I do but the system sounds better with the WA5 than the Denon receiver (as it should).

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #39,088 of 42,298
A speaker tap would work. It would sound great as well. I've heard a speaker tap attached to a WA5 and the tap sounded better than the HP output. The only concern would be volume control. With a tap you would have to be very careful not to blow up your HP.

How would the connections work - say with a pair of headphones with balanced connectors? Is there some sort of speaker connector/tap to XLR adapter? These amps are only 8 watts, so could certainly work for headphones - though yes you'd have to be a little careful.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #39,089 of 42,298
No, regular speakers.

Something super efficient. These WA5s put out about 8wpc, and SET amps like high impedances, like 8 ohm and higher, and 89db sensitivity or higher. Tannoy, Triangle, Klipsch, PSB models are good mainstream choices. I am running a pair of ProAc Super Tablettes, and while 2x the power would be ideal, they sound fantastic on the WA5.

awesome had no idea that amp would drive speakers almost got the wa5 before my wa22, what stopped me is that tube costs can get  spendy for a 300b amps plus would my old ears really hear the differences  ..enjoy

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #39,090 of 42,298
How would the connections work - say with a pair of headphones with balanced connectors? Is there some sort of speaker connector/tap to XLR adapter? These amps are only 8 watts, so could certainly work for headphones - though yes you'd have to be a little careful.

Yes XLR. That's the connection I have used before. Attach wire to speaker output and then attach wire to speaker tap. HiFiMan make one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back