Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #39,031 of 42,298

Quote:

So I sent the amps back to Woo to assess, turns out there were a few things going on - one rectifier tube was bad, solder joints to the filter chokes broke off (likely occurred when the seller originally shipped to me) and Woo reinforced a few other solder joints just to be safe. The volume control was out of synch (left to right balance) so they replaced it, along with the power switch (which kept rotating when turned on), and the 300b pin sockets that had lost tension. These seem to be defects from the original owner's use as the amps were about 7 years old.

WA5's arrived back from Woo today. They looked great - in addition to the above, I had Woo replace the selector switches at their suggestion as the new ones are much easier to rotate, and a new set of driver tubes arrived as well.  

I quickly set them up and had a momentary dread - turned the switch and no sound! I went crazy for a brief while, until I realized I had unplugged my source just before I left for Thanksgiving vacation. OK - plugged it back in and all good.

I had first planned to briefly hook them up in my rec room to test out a recently acquired pair of ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures, a teeny tiny 2001-era speaker that outpunches its size and class. I had bought the ProAcs used to take advantage of the WA5's speaker hookups, and was slightly worried that their 89db efficiency would require more than the 8watts produced by the WA5 to play even moderately loud. These fears were totally unwarranted - the WA5  handled them easily - volume at 10-11o'clock was plenty loud with absolutely no strain. They absolutely shone on the WA5 - beautiful voicing, holographic soundstage, and stellar imaging that ProAc's are known for. These speakers adore tubes - and they are a brilliant match for the WA5. I have a REL Strata III sub in matching rosewood that I'll hook up for more low end, though the speakers don't really need it.

An hour flew by. Then my wife came in and listened for another 45 min - first time she's ever sat still that long to listen to music on any of my systems. "I love this sound" she says - rarely has she seen fit to compliment my hi fi setup, even on far more expensive systems.

Much later, I hooked up the HD650's for some solo listening. I've had a few jaw-drop moments in hi-fi, usually on a dealer's uber-expensive systems but a few on my past systems (Merlin and VAC Avatar was one of those moments, Airtight and Devore was another). This was one of those moments. I couldn't believe what I was hearing out of the 650s, which had sounded wonderful on the WA22 but were now singing like never before.

LCD3f up next. I tried an older track on Tidal - U2's "Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For". I'm not a huge U2 fan but this track has such a nice solid bass groove. Oh my - the WA5 took a vice-grip hold of the LCD3 and the bass just thumped out in a way I've not heard them do up to this point. I killed another 45 min - Lou Reed, the Kinks, Ed Sheeran, James Morrison, Martin Sexton, Amos Lee, hell I even played Leon Redbone's cover of Polly Wolly Doodle All Day from his 1975 album (the one with the Warner Brothers frog on the cover)... just because I could. The track is stellar for purity of vocals and acoustic instrumentation.

Every single track I streamed was just marvelous.

I really need to hook up my turntable next, and also spend some time with DSD to see how much better it can get. But even with lowly Tidal high rez (albeit streamed through $3500 worth of great digital gear) sounds simply terrific. 

Ok - guilty pleasure - I streamed Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself." Ed Sheeran also wrote this and sings back up - it's a well recorded and well sung pop standard, and it was so clean, clear, and imbued with bounce and rhythm, I forgot - for the duration of the track - my customary man shame that I was listening to Justin Bieber.

All you WA5 owners are nodding along reading this - I am really happy I took the plunge, and even despite the mishaps with my seller (he covered repair costs - yeah!).

Now what to do with the WA22. The WA5's brilliance didn't diminish the WA22 in any way - the amp still sounds magical with the HD650s and with my balanced digital source. Maybe I'll sit on this for a month or so - I got in on the MassDrop HD6xx buy and my wife will soon be getting her pair of Sennheisers, which would pair just wonderfully with the WA22. But listening to the WA5 tonight was just so magical.

I wonder how this amp would sound on something like the Focal Utopia.... 

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #39,032 of 42,298
^

This was a nice review and a great read.

However you lost me at Justin Bieber. :D

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #39,033 of 42,298
Glad to learn that there is another happy WA5 owner, it is my turn now .....
beyersmile.png

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #39,035 of 42,298
^

This was a nice review and a great read.

However you lost me at Justin Bieber.

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I stepped into the mondo-listening room of one of SF's top audio salons while on a business trip.

They had a pair of Focal Grand Utopia speakers (the ones that sell for $150k or more) powered by a stack of gear that cost more than my first house. Clearly they assumed I was a Silicon Valley unicorn CEO because they played a few cuts for me. The last one was "Love Yourself." I don't listen to top 40 radio so I didn't recognize the song, but the track sounded so well recorded and clear.

"Who sang that last song? I asked. 

HiFi guy turns red and muttered almost unintelligibly "Justin Bieber".  

We both were quiet and looked at the floor for an uncomfortably long time. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #39,036 of 42,298
  All you WA5 owners are nodding along reading this - I am really happy I took the plunge, and even despite the mishaps with my seller (he covered repair costs - yeah!).

But listening to the WA5 tonight was just so magical.

I wonder how this amp would sound on something like the Focal Utopia.... 

Nodding along. I know!
beerchug.gif

WRT Utopia. I like the combo. Utopia are a great headphone and their sound can vary greatly depending on the equipment behind it. Tonight I was enjoying Orbital - Wonky, especially disc 2 was jaw dropping to me. But I pulled out the LCD-XCs not the Utopias which is what I've mostly been listening on. I suppose guilty/lazy pleasure I'm actually listening on the V281 and not the WA5 tonight... changed it up. I also swapped back to GZ32 lately for rectifiers, taking a break from the Webers...

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #39,037 of 42,298
I got my custom cable for Utopia today from Peterek... That means tonight is a WA5/Utopia kind of night.

I haven't tried to compare to stock but I'd swear it's an improvement and more body. I think the bass side of things is more satisfying now. I'll need to compare but right now just new toy excitement.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #39,038 of 42,298
  I put my new audio tower together yesterday and found out the WA5 works out ergonomically a lot better on a single shelf than up/down on two shelves.  In other words the umbilical is too short!.  I have contacted Woo about a longer umbilical but was wondering if anybody out there might have one or could point me toward an alternative supplier.  I need one at least 18 inches long.  Thanks

some cable company does that, ie moon audio or stefan audio.  i've been thinking about getting one replacing the stock cable

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #39,039 of 42,298

some cable company does that, ie moon audio or stefan audio.  i've been thinking about getting one replacing the stock cable

Since I got no immediate response I went ahead and ordered from Woo.  They make a 24" umbilical with about 2 weeks lead time.  Thanks for chiming in.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #39,040 of 42,298
  I got my custom cable for Utopia today from Peterek... That means tonight is a WA5/Utopia kind of night.

I haven't tried to compare to stock but I'd swear it's an improvement and more body. I think the bass side of things is more satisfying now. I'll need to compare but right now just new toy excitement.

Stunning... 
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #39,041 of 42,298
  Since I got no immediate response I went ahead and ordered from Woo.  They make a 24" umbilical with about 2 weeks lead time.  Thanks for chiming in.

no problem.  you mind to share some pictures when the cable comes?  also your music tower and how you place them?  curious to see.  thanks

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #39,043 of 42,298
Yeah, I had the same reaction when I stepped into the mondo-listening room of one of SF's top audio salons while on a business trip.

They had a pair of Focal Grand Utopia speakers (the ones that sell for $150k or more) powered by a stack of gear that cost more than my first house. Clearly they assumed I was a Silicon Valley unicorn CEO because they played a few cuts for me. The last one was "Love Yourself." I don't listen to top 40 radio so I didn't recognize the song, but the track sounded so well recorded and clear.

"Who sang that last song? I asked. 

HiFi guy turns red and muttered almost unintelligibly "Justin Bieber".  

We both were quiet and looked at the floor for an uncomfortably long time. 

Was going through today's top artists on google play a few weeks ago... Just for research... You know.

Came to a sudden realusation that this smooth and soothing voice I hear on the car radio was.... JUSTIN BIEBER... gasp!

Through my headphone gear... He bought the teenage girl out if me. WAIT! I am not gay.... I Think.

Anyway. That's just between you and me... OK?

Not a word to anyone.

Ever.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #39,045 of 42,298
I don’t know if any of you are into Dylon, I am not really but he has just won the Nobel prize for Literature, Patti Smith sang one of his most celebrated songs. It certainly bought more than a few tears to my eyes. Even if you are not into either its worth watching and listening to the lyrics.

Oh, what did you see, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, what did you see, my darling young one?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin’
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin’
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/a-transcendent-patti-smith-accepts-bob-dylans-nobel-prize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXQaOhpfJU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back