Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #38,896 of 42,298
  Yeah I'm sure the v281 is good and I'll probably get one if on par with taurus and LAu as they say but you can't get second order distortion from ss amps that's why there's transistor hash - fatigue faster for me listening to ss amps.

I know what you mean for fatigue. My Oppo HA-1 that this V281 is replacing was bad for that. It improved with a different DAC tho. Not enough for me to actually like it.

Look at some of the reviews of the V281. They talk about no fatigue. I certainly haven't heard anything suggesting it yet.
A friend I trust said the V281 needs a few hundred hours to settle (like a NOS tube). I haven't heard the need for that. However his ears are a lot more sensitive to it than mine. He also moved from a custom 300B tube amp to the V281.

Sylvania tubes fatigue me the fastest. So harsh.

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #38,897 of 42,298
   He also moved from a custom 300B tube amp to the V281.

Is the 300B for sale? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #38,899 of 42,298

I agree. Even tho to my ear the V281 SS amp is beating the Woo WA22 my WA22 is not going anywhere. Tubes are nostalgic.

I did more side by side listening last night. V281 beats WA22 in just about every sound aspect except mid-range. There is plenty of mid-range on the V281 however the WA22 just edges it.

Everything else like clean bass, clean treble, soundstage and I can't believe it holographics is better on the V281. It also has authority. It just sounds beefy. Like a boss. V281 is known as a "plays any HP amp" and you can hear it. It made my LCD-3's sound like something stronger like Abyss.

There is a reason some Woo members have moved to Violectric (3803Joe comes to mind (also a V281)). Violectric sounds like a beefed up Woo but without the hassle of tubes.
I plan to do 99.9% of my HP listening using the V281. Just those odd do nothing days I will use the WA22.

Wow I almost hate to hear this cuz I really love the sound of my wa22 (with the right tubes of course), Guess the only thing for me to do now is to give the v281 a good long listen for myself..Enjoy

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #38,900 of 42,298
No reason to worry, there are certain things that SS amps can't quite deliver as well as tube amps: tube bloom, deep soundstage

I agree. Even tho to my ear the V281 SS amp is beating the Woo WA22 my WA22 is not going anywhere. Tubes are nostalgic.

I did more side by side listening last night. V281 beats WA22 in just about every sound aspect except mid-range. There is plenty of mid-range on the V281 however the WA22 just edges it.

Everything else like clean bass, clean treble, soundstage and I can't believe it holographics is better on the V281. It also has authority. It just sounds beefy. Like a boss. V281 is known as a "plays any HP amp" and you can hear it. It made my LCD-3's sound like something stronger like Abyss.

There is a reason some Woo members have moved to Violectric (3803Joe comes to mind (also a V281)). Violectric sounds like a beefed up Woo but without the hassle of tubes.

I plan to do 99.9% of my HP listening using the V281. Just those odd do nothing days I will use the WA22.

Wow I almost hate to hear this cuz I really love the sound of my wa22 (with the right tubes of course), Guess the only thing for me to do now is to give the v281 a good long listen for myself..Enjoy

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #38,901 of 42,298
I'm not getting the V281 FOTM thing. To me it's strong point is a wide sound stage. But tone wise it's lean, especially in the bass region. Sounds a little clinical. A little too bright. I side by sided it today with my Liquid Carbon driving my HE1000's and I preferred the LC tonally but the V281 definitely had a larger sound stage. I have forgotten what the WA22 sounds like specifically, but I listened to it a lot before I purchased my WA5 and felt it was congested and dull, really did nothing for me at all. So I can understand if coming from a WA22 (how I remember it) a V281 would sound clean, clear and wide, but coming from a good solid state amp or the WA5 it ain't that special, in my opinion. And that sucks, because I wanted it to be great - the wife doesn't love the WA5 out with our child around it so if I'm honest I'm looking for a SS replacement with similar abilities and from the opinions in here and others thought it could be it.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #38,902 of 42,298
I'm not getting the V281 FOTM thing. To me it's strong point is a wide sound stage. But tone wise it's lean, especially in the bass region. Sounds a little clinical. A little too bright. I side by sided it today with my Liquid Carbon driving my HE1000's and I preferred the LC tonally but the V281 definitely had a larger sound stage. I have forgotten what the WA22 sounds like specifically, but I listened to it a lot before I purchased my WA5 and felt it was congested and dull, really did nothing for me at all. So I can understand if coming from a WA22 (how I remember it) a V281 would sound clean, clear and wide, but coming from a good solid state amp or the WA5 it ain't that special, in my opinion. And that sucks, because I wanted it to be great - the wife doesn't love the WA5 out with our child around it so if I'm honest I'm looking for a SS replacement with similar abilities and from the opinions in here and others thought it could be it.

GS-X Mk2
This amp IMO/IME meets all the criteria that I've read about the V281.
Excellent transparency/dimension/sound-stage/instrument placement and speed. IMO the Mk2 sounds warm as well regardless of most saying it sounds bright…I do not find this amp to be bright sounding in any way/shape/form, but it could very well be my chain.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #38,903 of 42,298
  GS-X Mk2
This amp IMO/IME meets all the criteria that I've read about the V281.
Excellent transparency/dimension/sound-stage/instrument placement and speed. IMO the Mk2 sounds warm as well regardless of most saying it sounds bright…I do not find this amp to be bright sounding in any way/shape/form, but it could very well be my chain.

Yes. I think you are right on this, I was reading about them again today - I think it was dubstep girl who mentioned one at some point and I went looking after that. I have located one locally - stock permitting going to audition it tomorrow :)

@joseph69 What DAC are you running into it and what headphones do you have? 

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #38,904 of 42,298

Yes. I think you are right on this, I was reading about them again today - I think it was dubstep girl who mentioned one at some point and I went looking after that. I have located one locally - stock permitting going to audition it tomorrow :)

@joseph69 What DAC are you running into it and what headphones do you have? 

I'm using a PS-Audio Perfectwave DAC-ll with the Bridge-ll (balanced/ethernet connection) with my (balanced) PS1K/GH1/RS1i. I had borrowed the HE1K back when I had the GS-1 and did enjoy them very much, so I'd think they would sound fantastic through the Mk2 balanced. At one point Justin was offering the Mk2/HE1K combo with a $500.00 rebate. I know you already have the HE1K, just saying.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions (stock permitting of course). Are you going to use the HE1K in both SE/balanced when/if you audition tomorrow?

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #38,905 of 42,298
  I'm using a PS-Audio Perfectwave DAC-ll with the Bridge-ll (balanced/ethernet connection) with my (balanced) PS1K/GH1/RS1i. I had borrowed the HE1K back when I had the GS-1 and did enjoy them very much, so I'd think they would sound fantastic through the Mk2 balanced. At one point Justin was offering the Mk2/HE1K combo with a $500.00 rebate. I know you already have the HE1K, just saying.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions (stock permitting of course). Are you going to use the HE1K in both SE/balanced when/if you audition tomorrow?

Ah super nice DAC you have there. They run almost 9K AUD here with the bridge and I was mighty tempted to use one in the HiFi system, but then I decided to upgrade my headFi setup... 

Yes I'll try the HE1K both SE and Balanced, usually depends on the amp as to which I prefer. The WA5 nature changes quite a bit with the balanced out and HE1K, I would probably say it was a SS amp if I heard it blind. The WA5 SE works much better with these phones IMO. That said the Cavalli LC really benefits from using the balanced connection, so I will try both and see 1. if I like the amp and 2. which method of connection is better for me. I will be sad to see the WA5 go, I may hold onto it for those times I can break out the whisky and enjoy some tubes, but that could be quite the wait and I could increase my DAC budget if I move it on...I'd rather have one excellent setup than a couple mediocre ones. 

Edit - what am I saying, I won't sell the WA5. Crazy talk. A high end SS and high end tube amp is the perfect pairing!!

Edit 2 - really wish I could put this up against a Cavalli LAu. My one concern is I'm worried the GSX will be too bright for me. @joseph69 did you find it bright? Fatiguing? 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #38,908 of 42,298

Ah super nice DAC you have there. They run almost 9K AUD here with the bridge and I was mighty tempted to use one in the HiFi system, but then I decided to upgrade my headFi setup... 

Yes I'll try the HE1K both SE and Balanced, usually depends on the amp as to which I prefer. The WA5 nature changes quite a bit with the balanced out and HE1K, I would probably say it was a SS amp if I heard it blind. The WA5 SE works much better with these phones IMO. That said the Cavalli LC really benefits from using the balanced connection, so I will try both and see 1. if I like the amp and 2. which method of connection is better for me. I will be sad to see the WA5 go, I may hold onto it for those times I can break out the whisky and enjoy some tubes, but that could be quite the wait and I could increase my DAC budget if I move it on...I'd rather have one excellent setup than a couple mediocre ones. 

Edit - what am I saying, I won't sell the WA5. Crazy talk. A high end SS and high end tube amp is the perfect pairing!!

Edit 2 - really wish I could put this up against a Cavalli LAu. My one concern is I'm worried the GSX will be too bright for me. @joseph69 did you find it bright? Fatiguing? 

Thank you, and WOW that quite expensive for you down under!!!
Yes, it would be super nice to have both a high end SS/tube amp.
As I mentioned before, I don't find the Mk2 to be bright in any way/shape/form but it could be my chain. No fatigue at all for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back