Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #38,882 of 42,298
  By the way, how is Woo WDS-1? 
Thanks

Bought one to use with a WA6 almost a year ago. Added a WA22 shortly after to have a fully balanced setup. Been using HD800 phones and just added Elears. Totally satisfied with the WDS-1. At times it is used to feed both amps simultaneously when there are two listeners. No noticeable degradation in performance. Using two inputs is also of value to switch sources quickly when net surfing etc. The design may be getting dated but is is solid. Not much attention goes to the WDS-1 or the WTP-1. It seems to be the unloved orphan from the Woo family.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #38,884 of 42,298
Looking for a balanced DAC for my WA22 with Sennheiser Hd800s. I usually listen to classical music.

For example: I know Schiit Gumby is a good choice, but it is not compatible with most CD transports/players (it would make extensively clicking sounds and even erase the first couple of seconds of each song in a CD).

Not sure what you mean by "extensively clicking" when playing CD's. There is a relay in the Gumby that you can hear click when the music changes resolution. If I play a song that is 16/44 and the next song is 24/96, there will be a click from the Gumby between them as it adjusts to the new rate. As CD's are always the same resolution, you shouldn't have any clicking at all.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #38,885 of 42,298
Not sure what you mean by "extensively clicking" when playing CD's. There is a relay in the Gumby that you can hear click when the music changes resolution. If I play a song that is 16/44 and the next song is 24/96, there will be a click from the Gumby between them as it adjusts to the new rate. As CD's are always the same resolution, you shouldn't have any clicking at all.

I understand what @shapeshifter44 is referring to.
It is the muting relay on the Schiit DACs (except the Modi) that doesn't play well with some Cd players like my Sony CDP C-601/701ES models. When in pause/skip/fast forward mode the muting relay continuously opens/closes besides when switching between bit/kHz. It is most annoying.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #38,888 of 42,298
  I understand what @shapeshifter44 is referring to.
It is the muting relay on the Schiit DACs (except the Modi) that doesn't play well with some Cd players like my Sony CDP C-601/701ES models. When in pause/skip/fast forward mode the muting relay continuously opens/closes besides when switching between bit/kHz. It is most annoying.

Thanks for the heads up. The only thing I play in my Sony SCD 777ES are SACD's which I don't run through the Gumby so I haven't been aware of that particular problem. I'll plug the optical out from the Sony into the Gumby to play some CD's and see what I get.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #38,889 of 42,298
  Thanks for the heads up. The only thing I play in my Sony SCD 777ES are SACD's which I don't run through the Gumby so I haven't been aware of that particular problem. I'll plug the optical out from the Sony into the Gumby to play some CD's and see what I get.

Other members have other model Sony Cd players that have no issues with the muting relay, so it doesn't mean Schiit DAC's won't play well with all Sony Cd players…but unfortunately mine don't play well together with Schiit DSC's.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #38,891 of 42,298
  Looking forward to seeing 20 years worth of tubes coming onto the market that a few months ago blew everything else away :)

I've noticed a lot of people on here always rave about how much better the shiny new toy is over the old toy. Maybe it's similar to a new girlfriend/boyfriend where they seem so much better than the old girlfriend/boyfriend, but a year later things aren't quite so rosy...

With headphone amps I tend to try and keep both around for a while, and it looks like Badas is going to do the same (be interested in your thoughts after a few months, but have to admit I'm already intrigued). I had a few headphone amps, but now I'm down to just two (both tubes). Adding a SS headphone amp could make for a nice addition, but I can't see myself not ever having a tube headphone amp.

I agree. Even tho to my ear the V281 SS amp is beating the Woo WA22 my WA22 is not going anywhere. Tubes are nostalgic.

I did more side by side listening last night. V281 beats WA22 in just about every sound aspect except mid-range. There is plenty of mid-range on the V281 however the WA22 just edges it.

Everything else like clean bass, clean treble, soundstage and I can't believe it holographics is better on the V281. It also has authority. It just sounds beefy. Like a boss. V281 is known as a "plays any HP amp" and you can hear it. It made my LCD-3's sound like something stronger like Abyss.

There is a reason some Woo members have moved to Violectric (3803Joe comes to mind (also a V281)). Violectric sounds like a beefed up Woo but without the hassle of tubes.
I plan to do 99.9% of my HP listening using the V281. Just those odd do nothing days I will use the WA22.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #38,892 of 42,298
I agree. Even tho to my ear the V281 SS amp is beating the Woo WA22 my WA22 is not going anywhere. Tubes are nostalgic.

I did more side by side listening last night. V281 beats WA22 in just about every sound aspect except mid-range. There is plenty of mid-range on the V281 however the WA22 just edges it.

Everything else like clean bass, clean treble, soundstage and I can't believe it holographics is better on the V281. It also has authority. It just sounds beefy. Like a boss. V281 is known as a "plays any HP amp" and you can hear it. It made my LCD-3's sound like something stronger like Abyss.

There is a reason some Woo members have moved to Violectric (3803Joe comes to mind (also a V281)). Violectric sounds like a beefed up Woo but without the hassle of tubes.

I plan to do 99.9% of my HP listening using the V281. Just those odd do nothing days I will use the WA22.

Probably why they are updating it.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #38,893 of 42,298
Probably why they are updating it.

Are you talking about the WA22 update?

I think the point here is tubes use to have certain advantages over SS. Like silky and holographic sound.
Not anymore. You get those tube advantages plus all the advantages of SS without the hassle of tubes.

Updating the tube amp won't bridge the gap.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #38,894 of 42,298
  Could you have a bad Schiit DAC?

No, I had both the Bitfrost/Gungnir 2 and they both did it with my Sony Cd players.
In the Schiit FAQ it states this may happen with some Cd players and it is totally fine for the muting relay to open/close, but I just couldn't accept the noise. I've since moved on to the PWD-ll and have no issues at all using my Cd players.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #38,895 of 42,298

Are you talking about the WA22 update?

I think the point here is tubes use to have certain advantages over SS. Like silky and holographic sound.
Not anymore. You get those tube advantages plus all the advantages of SS without the hassle of tubes.

Updating the tube amp won't bridge the gap.

Yeah I'm sure the v281 is good and I'll probably get one if on par with taurus and LAu as they say but you can't get second order distortion from ss amps that's why there's transistor hash - fatigue faster for me listening to ss amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back