Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 16, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #34,577 of 42,298
  Hi All,

Could you please help me out?

I have a Woo Audio WA2

Is there any difference in sound between a Osram 6AS7G & a GEC 6AS7G...or are they the same tube, branded differently?

Also I was experimenting by putting multilayers of golf lead tape around the base of my WE 421A's and found that the 3 dimension, airiness & bass increased substantially....is this just my imagination or is there a scientific explanation behind this phenomena?

Please help!

Thanks,

jsa_ind

Osram is a rebranded GEC (generally.) Always check to make sure the construction of the Osram matches a GEC build to be sure.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #34,578 of 42,298
  Reposting from another thread:

I was looking for a comparison between the WA2 and Crack with Speedball.  I heard the Crack with Speedball and really enjoyed the smooth "hallow"/holographic sound but warm "romantic" ("euphonic"?) with the hd650.  I wondered what it was like compared to the WA2?  I've never heard the WA2. 

I may want to purchase it again or the WA2- I like the OTL sound quite a bit and miss it.  Anyone hear Glenn's OTL?  I have a WA22 and enjoy it very much with my LCD3f and HD800.  But there was something very synergistic and simple with it and the hd650 - also good with the hd800 (but prefer the WA22 I think noticeably).  I have a csp2+ which is otl but is not as "romantic" and much more neutral - excellent pre-amp I think is its main design purpose thus its neutrality.  It is like a less warm or neutral than Crack with Speedball with a more defined sound signature more detailed less rounded.

Generally speaking, the WA22 is the best of both worlds with tube rolling between the WA6 and WA2 type sound - esp. with tube rolling.  I think this is how Woo Audio planned their product line.

Your speaking to the same synergy (i.e. smooth resonating warmth) between the WA3 and HD650.  I have since sold my WA3 but will attempt some listening sessions with my WA2 and HD650 to see if the similar synergy exists.  I generally listen to my HD800 or T-1s with the WA2; provides greater detail, sound stage, and imaging etc.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #34,579 of 42,298
Reposting from another thread:

I was looking for a comparison between the WA2 and Crack with Speedball.  I heard the Crack with Speedball and really enjoyed the smooth "hallow"/holographic sound but warm "romantic" ("euphonic"?) with the hd650.  I wondered what it was like compared to the WA2?  I've never heard the WA2. 

I may want to purchase it again or the WA2- I like the OTL sound quite a bit and miss it.  Anyone hear Glenn's OTL?  I have a WA22 and enjoy it very much with my LCD3f and HD800.  But there was something very synergistic and simple with it and the hd650 - also good with the hd800 (but prefer the WA22 I think noticeably).  I have a csp2+ which is otl but is not as "romantic" and much more neutral - excellent pre-amp I think is its main design purpose thus its neutrality.  It is like a less warm or neutral than Crack with Speedball with a more defined sound signature more detailed less rounded.

Generally speaking, the WA22 is the best of both worlds with tube rolling between the WA6 and WA2 type sound - esp. with tube rolling.  I think this is how Woo Audio planned their product line.

I was told the wA2 is maybe the best out there for 650s
Now that doesn't take into account Glenn's otl!
Cracks good but believe right combo of tubes the wa2 may be better.
Just my 2 cents

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #34,580 of 42,298
I was told the wA2 is maybe the best out there for 650s
Now that doesn't take into account Glenn's otl!
Cracks good but believe right combo of tubes the wa2 may be better.
Just my 2 cents

I might get one someday - curious about otl amps now. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #34,582 of 42,298

Also I was experimenting by putting multilayers of golf lead tape around the base of my WE 421A's and found that the 3 dimension, airiness & bass increased substantially....is this just my imagination or is there a scientific explanation behind this phenomena?

You are probably dampening the tube vibrations. ?

I think it's possible that this is the case. I personally have experimented with both vibration dampening socket-savers (e.g. from Tube Monger) and with tube dampers that rest on the glass itself (e.g. from Mapleshade). I am somewhat convinced that these things help to reduce microphonics; but, don't expect miracles.

Here's a repost of a photo that shows what mean (as always, YMMV):

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #34,583 of 42,298
For sure.
I am ordering wa22 tomorrow or Tuesday and already put my order in with Glenn

Nice, on both counts!  Which amp are you ordering from Glenn?

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #34,584 of 42,298
Oh oh, I came home tonight, walked into my livingroom where I have my listening station, and discovered that I probably left my WA6 switched on since Saturday morning, Of course I immediately turned the WA6 off. I was in such a hurry to get to Duluth for our 7 week old daughters family shower that I once again acted like a human male responding to the orders of my wife to get on the road. Question: is my amp fried, are my super expensive, for me, Sophia Electric 6SN7 drivers dead, and more importantly, is my prized "Mighty" USAF 596 rectifier tube a glorious sonic memory? Bear with me, because I'm writing this post thru alligator tears.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #34,585 of 42,298
Probably just fine, no need to over worry. Give it an hour or two rest and the give it a listen.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #34,586 of 42,298
Nice, on both counts!  Which amp are you ordering from Glenn?

Thanks.
That is why I'm going to sell the wa6
As for Glenn's. I'm think I'm going with the otl with 6 6BL7s or 6BX7s and can still use 6AS7s and all it's variants. But we are still discussing as I'm 2 month back on his list.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #34,587 of 42,298
Probably just fine, no need to over worry. Give it an hour or two rest and the give it a listen.
Khragon, thank you sir for ameliorating my self induced panic. I'll check them in a couple of hours. Right now though it's baby time.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #34,588 of 42,298
Thanks.
That is why I'm going to sell the wa6
As for Glenn's. I'm think I'm going with the otl with 6 6BL7s or 6BX7s and can still use 6AS7s and all it's variants. But we are still discussing as I'm 2 month back on his list.

My Red Wine Audio Sig 16/Cassabria amp is a hybrid amp.  It is very transparent with a totally black background however the input tube only adds some good coloration (either in mids or treble extension) however then the syrupy romantic/euphonic/smooth richness is missing as compared to an OTL.  It is like a light honey amber color to a very light medium at its darkest depending on input tube.  But the rich molasses smooth dark texture of an OTL is probably why I miss a bit of because that sound I cannot dial in.

I wonder how that Glenn amp is?

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #34,589 of 42,298
Oh oh, I came home tonight, walked into my livingroom where I have my listening station, and discovered that I probably left my WA6 switched on since Saturday morning, Of course I immediately turned the WA6 off. I was in such a hurry to get to Duluth for our 7 week old daughters family shower that I once again acted like a human male responding to the orders of my wife to get on the road. Question: is my amp fried, are my super expensive, for me, Sophia Electric 6SN7 drivers dead, and more importantly, is my prized "Mighty" USAF 596 rectifier tube a glorious sonic memory? Bear with me, because I'm writing this post thru alligator tears.

Sorry to hear this, but I would think that the amp/tubes are fine.
I hope everything is alright, please let us know when you give it a try.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #34,590 of 42,298
My Red Wine Audio Sig 16/Cassabria amp is a hybrid amp.  It is very transparent with a totally black background however the input tube only adds some good coloration (either in mids or treble extension) however then the syrupy romantic/euphonic/smooth richness is missing as compared to an OTL.  It is like a light honey amber color to a very light medium at its darkest depending on input tube.  But the rich molasses smooth dark texture of an OTL is probably why I miss a bit of because that sound I cannot dial in.

I wonder how that Glenn amp is?

I hear nothing but wonderful things about it.
Here's a review
http://bit.ly/1MwgXwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back