Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #31,951 of 42,298

I hope the Elrog's live up to their hefty reputation. I have had to put my purchase of the ER300Bs and ER845s on hold for a while - real life getting in the way of HeadFi
frown.gif

That's a pity Tony, I was looking forward to your commentary.

Happy New Year !

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #31,952 of 42,298

Happy New Year !

Happy New Year to you too.

Maybe Xmas 2015 will be the right time to go for the Elrogs
wink_face.gif

Please do keep us updated on the Elrogs as they burn in - sounds like these might be the best of the best.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #31,953 of 42,298

NOS Tung Sols are notorious for their long break in time and can sound sibilant and or flat in the treble region. Usually cleans up after a few weeks and then they are a different animal. Interesting to see how you go with the Tele's, usually excellent tubes.

Good advice and thanks. I am going to ride with this configuration for a while; see how things burn-in, before switching to the Telefunken (sort of save it for when I feel the itch to upgrade).
Will definitely report back after a couple of weeks on the current tubes. Regardless, I am spending a lot of quality time with head-fi and loving every minute of it.

Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #31,954 of 42,298

Happy New Year !

Hey would you be able to take a pic of the Elrog 300b and EML Mesh 300b side by side so I can get an idea of the size difference? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #31,955 of 42,298
  Hey would you be able to take a pic of the Elrog 300b and EML Mesh 300b side by side so I can get an idea of the size difference? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Yep will do, I have to take both amps apart today and change the top plates after someone assaulted them with an Abyss - seriously ! Can't believe a headphone would put such big dents in the plates 
confused_face.gif

Will post photos if people are interested.

All the best to everyone for the New Year

Simon

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #31,956 of 42,298

Happy New Year to you too.

Maybe Xmas 2015 will be the right time to go for the Elrogs
wink_face.gif

Please do keep us updated on the Elrogs as they burn in - sounds like these might be the best of the best.

Hopefully you'll get them before then. When I received the EML's they included info on their recommended way to burn in valves which is playing only for 4 hours at different levels then switch off to cool for a few hours I have been following that with the Elrog's and they have gone through 8 cycles, had my 1st listen again this morning and boy they have opened up with remarkable clarity, the other prominent change is to the bass extension and weight. 

I am going to try and turn the tube sockets round 180 degrees today if there is enough cable, so that the valve labels face the front, not sure why Woo reverses them.

Simon

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #31,957 of 42,298
Just ordered the Elrog 300Bs today.  Replacing my EML Mesh.  Fingers crossed.

I also spent the morning (in between Winter Classic periods-- I do love my hockey) relocating the power supply and battery for my phono stage away from the audio portion of the stage.  I have a Clearaudio Basic+ with the battery option, 3 different units.  I was picking up all kinds of nasty hum off my turntable.  

I moved the power cord into another outlet and seem to have eliminated the source of the hum.  Want to do a little star grounding off both the RCA port and the tone arm stem. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #31,958 of 42,298
Hi Simon, 

Have you heard the WA5, comparing it to your 234?  I've got the first WA5 built for the market, and love it!  Now, after reading all these great posts about the Elrog 300B, would like to buy a pair....was almost going to go with a pair of  the Sophia Royal Princess matched 300b's, but am going to hold off for now, even though it will probably be a long time before the Elrog is available. 

I am curious though, as to the sonic differences between these two amps...there sure is a huge price difference.   I do use the speaker outputs, like them a lot,  in fact, soon will be pairing the WA5 with a high-end 2 way speaker which has a 94db sensitivity into 8ohms.   

Interestingly, my reason for buying the WA5 in the first place, was to listen to my pair of  AKG K1000's, which I also like,  however I find I use the speaker output a lot as well.   Have not heard the Audeze, the Sennheiser, or any other high-end headphone through the WA5.....that's another audition waiting to happen. :)     Thanks!  

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #31,959 of 42,298
  Hi Simon, 

Have you heard the WA5, comparing it to your 234?  I've got the first WA5 built for the market, and love it!  Now, after reading all these great posts about the Elrog 300B, would like to buy a pair....was almost going to go with a pair of  the Sophia Royal Princess matched 300b's, but am going to hold off for now, even though it will probably be a long time before the Elrog is available. 

I am curious though, as to the sonic differences between these two amps...there sure is a huge price difference.   I do use the speaker outputs, like them a lot,  in fact, soon will be pairing the WA5 with a high-end 2 way speaker which has a 94db sensitivity into 8ohms.   

Interestingly, my reason for buying the WA5 in the first place, was to listen to my pair of  AKG K1000's, which I also like,  however I find I use the speaker output a lot as well.   Have not heard the Audeze, the Sennheiser, or any other high-end headphone through the WA5.....that's another audition waiting to happen. :)     Thanks!  

Would love to able to help here but I can't, haven't heard the WA5, a mate of mine, Matt on these forums had a fully tricked WA5, he is in Japan ATM picking up the Takatuskis for us both. His new 234's are waiting for him when he gets home next week. I sure he will be more than happy to give you the feedback you are looking for.

He did say to me that with stock $40 valves the 234's were substantial better than the WA5 tricked out. Good decision to wait for the Elrog's they keep getting better and better. IMHO they are better than any other 300B I have here. I have them paired with some early Tung Sol RP BG VT-231 6SN7's, have also got the Brimars, RCA grey glass, Red Base, Sylvannia's, Ken Rad's - the TS suit the Elrog's perfectly. I have bought a 2nd set of Elrog's as I couldn't live without them. My "critical" partner adores them.

I have the

SERP's
KR 300 Ballon's
EML 300 Mesh Plates (need running in)
Original grey plate WE's

Sorry I can't help you any further

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #31,960 of 42,298
  Just ordered the Elrog 300Bs today.  Replacing my EML Mesh.  Fingers crossed.

I also spent the morning (in between Winter Classic periods-- I do love my hockey) relocating the power supply and battery for my phono stage away from the audio portion of the stage.  I have a Clearaudio Basic+ with the battery option, 3 different units.  I was picking up all kinds of nasty hum off my turntable.  

I moved the power cord into another outlet and seem to have eliminated the source of the hum.  Want to do a little star grounding off both the RCA port and the tone arm stem. 

No need to worry, the EML Mesh in my system do not sound anywhere near as good as the Elrog's. Should sound spectacular with vinyl. Look forward to your impressions.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #31,962 of 42,298

No need to worry, the EML Mesh in my system do not sound anywhere near as good as the Elrog's. Should sound spectacular with vinyl. Look forward to your impressions.

Still don't have a 300b upgrade picked out... the Elrog is mighty tempting now. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #31,964 of 42,298
  When I bought mine I got an email saying they'll be shipped next week, most likely.  Not too bad on the turn around.

May I ask from where you ordered the Elrogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back