Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #28,891 of 42,298
 I must say, the WA6 is pleasing me very, very much for the little amount of time I've had/listened to it. I've actually never heard my music this way, the separation and the texture of the music is just…well like I said,  something I've never heard before with another amp. I've also never heard sub bass like I'm hearing (very subtle) not overwhelming at all and the mids and highs seem spot on for me, and the sound stage is very nice, but still very focused and clear, where I'm able to hear instrument separation in places I've never heard (sounds instruments are outside of my head in the high/low-left/right- front/back and center, if that makes any sense). Also this amp delivers that Grado sound that makes me love Grado, still has that somewhat of attack, but laid back just the right amount, for me. After having the Ear+HD for the short time I had it, I was thinking to myself maybe I'm not a tube kind of guy when switching from my Adcom-710 (which is lightening quick and sharp), and then hearing the Ear+HD (which was very smooth and mellow), I sought of missed that quickness of the SS, but at the same time liked the smoothness and the warmth of the Ear+HD. With the WA6, I find it is falling inbetween both of these amps, and more... much more than I ever expected! I know i'm being quick to say this in such little time, but I may be done!!!

Congratulations. Always nice to hear of someone finding the magic in tubes and WooAudio.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #28,893 of 42,298
I brought my WA22 to my local Head-fi meet, and I'm pleased that it garnered many positive comments. The biggest surprise was pairing it with the Hifiman HE-6. As I was using GEC 6AS7s, I expected it to be underpowered, but the HE-6 turned out to be on par with my HD800 in terms of resolution, detail retrieval and speed with no clipping and no distortion. Now I really wonder what the HE-6 sounds like with a more powerful amp.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #28,894 of 42,298
Recently got my first Woo, having gone with the WA7 which seems to be popular of late. To be honest, I got this one more for the looks and the convenience as a night table amp without expecting that much from it. But I was really surprised by just how good it sounded. I don't think vocals have ever sounded more real for me than when using a decent source with this amp. Unless I ever try electrostats, I don't think I will be upgrading for a while as this feels like a nice balance between detail and warmth for me. 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #28,896 of 42,298

I must say, the WA6 is pleasing me very, very much for the little amount of time I've had/listened to it. I've actually never heard my music this way, the separation and the texture of the music is just…well like I said,  something I've never heard before with another amp. I've also never heard sub bass like I'm hearing (very subtle) not overwhelming at all and the mids and highs seem spot on for me, and the sound stage is very nice, but still very focused and clear, where I'm able to hear instrument separation in places I've never heard (sounds instruments are outside of my head in the high/low-left/right- front/back and center, if that makes any sense). Also this amp delivers that Grado sound that makes me love Grado, still has that somewhat of attack, but laid back just the right amount, for me. After having the Ear+HD for the short time I had it, I was thinking to myself maybe I'm not a tube kind of guy when switching from my Adcom-710 (which is lightening quick and sharp), and then hearing the Ear+HD (which was very smooth and mellow), I sought of missed that quickness of the SS, but at the same time liked the smoothness and the warmth of the Ear+HD. With the WA6, I find it is falling inbetween both of these amps, and more... much more than I ever expected! I know i'm being quick to say this in such little time, but I may be done!!!

Congratulations. Always nice to hear of someone finding the magic in tubes and WooAudio.

Thank you, rely something different sounding for me, thanks again.

Recently got my first Woo, having gone with the WA7 which seems to be popular of late. To be honest, I got this one more for the looks and the convenience as a night table amp without expecting that much from it. But I was really surprised by just how good it sounded. I don't think vocals have ever sounded more real for me than when using a decent source with this amp. Unless I ever try electrostats, I don't think I will be upgrading for a while as this feels like a nice balance between detail and warmth for me. 
smile_phones.gif

I just purchased the WA6, and made the same comment as you did "feels like a nice balance of detail and warmth". To me its like a cross between a SS and tube amp, perfect balance for me. Congratulations on the WA7!

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #28,897 of 42,298
I brought my WA22 to my local Head-fi meet, and I'm pleased that it garnered many positive comments. The biggest surprise was pairing it with the Hifiman HE-6. As I was using GEC 6AS7s, I expected it to be underpowered, but the HE-6 turned out to be on par with my HD800 in terms of resolution, detail retrieval and speed with no clipping and no distortion. Now I really wonder what the HE-6 sounds like with a more powerful amp.

I really love the HE6 on the WA22 too. I use 5998, VT231 and GZ 34. It is really great. Have heard the HE6 on other amps, but I don't think I lose out on much with the WA22. Bass could get tighter, that's basically it, roughly. Though I haven't heard all the HE6 combos out there, I've tried several powerful headamps (Mjolnir, Taurus, V200) and speaker amps. I think the WA22 is underrated with the HE6 because too many around here is worried about specified wattage when it comes to the HE6. Even if you might do even better with something better, I will not hesitate advising WA22 owners getting a HE6
:)

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #28,898 of 42,298
WA22 and HE-6 is still underpowered and lacking finesse imo. clipping at louder volumes too (i listen pretty loud).

it works somewhat well, better than expected (my WA6-SE clipped immediately as if it was lacking current output), but not amazing. likewise- the glenn otl amp i'm using right now has similar power, but it does struggle and doesn't compare to a 50wpc speaker amp

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #28,899 of 42,298
  WA22 and HE-6 is still underpowered and lacking finesse imo. clipping at louder volumes too (i listen pretty loud).

it works somewhat well, better than expected (my WA6-SE clipped immediately as if it was lacking current output), but not amazing. likewise- the glenn otl amp i'm using right now has similar power, but it does struggle and doesn't compare to a 50wpc speaker amp

I just must say we disagree on this. I am certain that the WA22 doesa better job than many speaker amps out there. In my ears, with my music, my WA22 and my mind, the HE6+WA22 is a combo worth owning, and I really like it. I feel the HE6 sounds good for its price on the WA22. Maybe it can sound insanely good for its price on other stuff, but that's not too relevant as long as those amps are more expensive, hard to get or some special huge vintage amp. If I have a WA22 I cannot really see why I shouldn't get the HE-6. 

But, as I understand it DG, you listen to quite a lot of bass thumping music at loud levels? Anyway, I don't. So the finesse of the WA22 is certainly there for me. My music, level etc. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #28,900 of 42,298
  Thank you, rely something different sounding for me, thanks again.

I just purchased the WA6, and made the same comment as you did "feels like a nice balance of detail and warmth". To me its like a cross between a SS and tube amp, perfect balance for me. Congratulations on the WA7!

Thanks, yes it was a pleasant surprise that the Woo sound worked so well. Some people insist tubes only offer distracting distortion, but I think they add something to the sound that is worthwhile as well. I am now a convert to Woo and will use their amps if I ever go electrostat.  

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #28,901 of 42,298

I just must say we disagree on this. I am certain that the WA22 doesa better job than many speaker amps out there. In my ears, with my music, my WA22 and my mind, the HE6+WA22 is a combo worth owning, and I really like it. I feel the HE6 sounds good for its price on the WA22. Maybe it can sound insanely good for its price on other stuff, but that's not too relevant as long as those amps are more expensive, hard to get or some special huge vintage amp. If I have a WA22 I cannot really see why I shouldn't get the HE-6. 

But, as I understand it DG, you listen to quite a lot of bass thumping music at loud levels? Anyway, I don't. So the finesse of the WA22 is certainly there for me. My music, level etc. 

Do you really have to crank up the volume knob for the HE-6 on the WA22?

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #28,904 of 42,298
Sorry for off topic, but please do take care of your hearing. I have developed mild tinnitus since last couple of years & wish I had been more considerate to my ears when younger.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #28,905 of 42,298
I think I had it mostly set at 12-1 o'clock

I listen at around 11 but some older classical music needs to be pushed to 1 or 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back