Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #28,457 of 42,298
JC I agree with you 100 percent but she making comment on the WA5 and quoting comments form other people and she has never heard the amplifier. I heard the Eddie current with the I think the P4 tubes which sounded IMO excellent.  It was audeze that had them in San Francisco. It was very addictive sounding for me to listen to that tube,  For me the WA5 is my end game amplifier. I lived with a CJ Premier 11A for 12 years and will do so with this amplifier.  What I am saying g is she should listen to the amp before she rules it in or out and not quote what someone is saying about 6sn7 tubes driving 300B amps. Designers and builders been using 6sn7 in 300B for years. Some other builders may prefer a different tube in their circuit but in my opinion it either sounds good or it don't and the WA5 sounds terrific for me . I don't need any other tube amplifiers and am not seeking any others out. I will have this one for a very long time.

In any event with matched rectifiers who to really know if pairs we are buying are matched or not. Especially on Ebay. Unless you have the proper testing gear to tell them not sur what is ir is not. I bought some from Upscale audio and they are enos matched and they sound excellent. I am pretty sure these 5976 tubes everyone been buying are not matched either and they sound good. I have no issues with my RCA and have used two different sylvanias and never noticed any differences. I also have 6F8G in there now and I don't think they ar ematched either if they are who knows they are over  70 year old but they sound good. Many tube builders will tell you with auto biasing amps you do not need matched tubes either. So who to say.  It all good though!!!

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #28,458 of 42,298
The 596 pairs I have are matched, I purchased 40 596s to get 4 matched.  The seller just tested it and label the box for me. 

I think DG ruled out WA5 is the dual rectifier requirements, she has plenty of single rectifiers and if she is getting a WA5 she either have to sell all the single rectifiers or purchase more to get them in pair.  Either way will be extremely expensive.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #28,459 of 42,298
  The 596 pairs I have are matched, I purchased 40 596s to get 4 matched.  The seller just tested it and label the box for me. 

I think DG ruled out WA5 is the dual rectifier requirements, she has plenty of single rectifiers and if she is getting a WA5 she either have to sell all the single rectifiers or purchase more to get them in pair.  Either way will be extremely expensive.

^ pretty much that.

and 6SN7 are expensive as well, basically i already spent alot of money on rectifiers and alot on power tubes, would not be good buying WA5.

i wouldn't sell any of my power tubes either, i have almost all of them now for the 6AS7G family.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #28,460 of 42,298
As matched tubes rectifier or not, if it is 5-10% off we probably can't tell a differences but once it is 10+%, I bet my money we can start tell tonal imbalance.

How do you define "matched" and how can you measure it?

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #28,461 of 42,298
DG like a lot of Head-Fi'ers including myself are getting a feel for other amps by input from others. Sometimes it hits home sometimes it doesn't. We all need to flesh out our wants and likes by impressions and meets and sometimes pure luck. I respect DG's desire to persue her personal sound.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #28,463 of 42,298
Tube tester, my friend has one.

A tube tester only tests certain characteristics of a tube but it cannot tell you if they are truly matched. They do not measure the tube under the conditions that they are in when you are actually using them. If someone tells you that they can match tubes with a tester they are BSing you. I have 3 testers but I don't have the ability to "match" tubes.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #28,464 of 42,298
A tube tester only tests certain characteristics of a tube but it cannot tell you if they are truly matched. They do not measure the tube under the conditions that they are in when you are actually using them. If someone tells you that they can match tubes with a tester they are BSing you. I have 3 testers but I don't have the ability to "match" tubes.

That I knew, there is no perfectly matched.  There are variances on the caps, wires, and everything else in the amp that may affect it.  What I know is it is as close as possible when I put them in and hope everything will be matched coming out of the headphone jack.  Heck, even the headphone drivers have variances too.

After all, I did graduate with EE degree.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #28,465 of 42,298

Damn, more stuff to buy after the GSX-MKII

Oh well, I'm in the market for a longer balanced cable anyhow for the LCD3s; the stock cables a few inches to short for my setup....

Anyone got any suggestions beside Moon Audio's silver dragon?.... I'm hoping to keep it <$200 (I know, I'm a dreamer)....

Check these out-- 

http://toxic-cables.co.uk

Outstanding hand built cable at a great price (though not under your $200)

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #28,466 of 42,298

Damn, more stuff to buy after the GSX-MKII

Oh well, I'm in the market for a longer balanced cable anyhow for the LCD3s; the stock cables a few inches to short for my setup....

Anyone got any suggestions beside Moon Audio's silver dragon?.... I'm hoping to keep it <$200 (I know, I'm a dreamer)....

Check these out-- 

http://toxic-cables.co.uk

Outstanding hand built cable at a great price (though not under your $200)

+1

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #28,469 of 42,298
Matched Rectifiers in the WA-5

The rectifiers in the WA-5 should be from the same lot. Woo has the 5U4 heaters in series and have to have matched heaters
or one will have a early failure. 5U4s are not meant to be run in series. This is why I came up with the 596 they have matched heaters.
I even made a tester to test for matched heaters when I was selling them with adapters.
You can go back in this forum and look at the problems Dannie01 had with rectifiers blowing up in the WA-5.
Came up with the 596 specifically for the WA-5 but everyone started using them on other amps they are a good military grade rectifier.

DG will have to sell all the rectifiers unless she has them in pairs ore they will be blowing up in the WA-5.

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #28,470 of 42,298
  Matched Rectifiers in the WA-5

The rectifiers in the WA-5 should be from the same lot. Woo has the 5U4 heaters in series and have to have matched heaters
or one will have a early failure. 5U4s are not meant to be run in series. This is why I came up with the 596 they have matched heaters.
I even made a tester to test for matched heaters when I was selling them with adapters.
You can go back in this forum and look at the problems Dannie01 had with rectifiers blowing up in the WA-5.
Came up with the 596 specifically for the WA-5 but everyone started using them on other amps they are a good military grade rectifier.

DG will have to sell all the rectifiers unless she has them in pairs ore they will be blowing up in the WA-5.

Glenn I hane not had one issue with any 5U4G in the Woo and this amps been here for months. Not a single issue with any of  the tube  I have been using in my WA5. Not one tube  has failed since I have owned this amplifier.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back