Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #28,441 of 42,298
Usually somewhere round midsummer, tube dealers across the nation gather for  - 
blink.gif
 was it a "Hoedown" or "Hootenanny?" - and their convention this year was the first (I believe) that the USAF/JAN-596 made the collective discussion.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #28,444 of 42,298
  WA5LE has enough power for HE6?

I am not sure that it does, The LE puts out 1.5 watts  so I  don't think it will drive them properly. Jack recommended the WA5 for the he6 today but likes the lCD 3 on the regular section instead of the  XLR. I use the he6 on the XLR and I know Jose has the lE iand he said they are OK but n=he using the Pass amp to drive his HE6.  I.5watts is not optimum to drive the he6 properly especially for classical recordings with huge dynamic range.  

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #28,446 of 42,298
i would get wa5 but the double rectifiers, id have to sell all mine and get pairs if i wanted to tube roll. also id be more iterested in 2a3.

think glenn could make a 2a3 amp with 5u4g tubes and his choice of drivers?

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #28,447 of 42,298
i would get wa5 but the double rectifiers, id have to sell all mine and get pairs if i wanted to tube roll. also id be more iterested in 2a3.

think glenn could make a 2a3 amp with 5u4g tubes and his choice of drivers?

Guess what you don't need matching rectifier. The 596 I am using are not matched and sound terrific an di have used others also non matched and they all sound fine. Most tube vendors do not even match rectifiers

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #28,448 of 42,298
still expensive, i just bought a single cossor gz37 and a single U52 tube as well...

i've heard mixed things about 6sn7 driving 300b as well.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #28,449 of 42,298
  still expensive, i just bought a single cossor gz37 and a single U52 tube as well...

i've heard mixed things about 6sn7 driving 300b as well.

hearing and listening are two different things. Ask EML George Lenz if amps being built with 300B tubes can be driven properly with 6sn7 and he is a top notch amplify builder and the  answer was that they can absolutely be built using the 6sn7. Ask people who own the amps. Besides why keep talking about it then and just move on from the Wa5 amp then if you feel that way.  But you should listen to one first YOURSELF and then say if its for you or not.  All I know this amp was a huge hit today at the meet.

You should listen to the amplifier and then comment on what you hear and not on what others tell you they have or have not heard. Some people give comments regarding the amplifier have not even ever heard one. Thats the funny part and every builder has different ways they build circuits and frankly my ears tell me this is a end game amp for ME anyway

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #28,450 of 42,298
i guess i just have to listen to it then.

i preferred WA2 to the WA22 despite the improvements in soundstage and detail. and alot of people say the same thing about eddie current balancing act and cavalli being endgame and really good and i don't like either. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #28,451 of 42,298

i preferred WA2 to the WA22 despite the improvements in soundstage and detail. and alot of people say the same thing about eddie current balancing act and cavalli being endgame and really good and i don't like either. 

Well that should tell you to listen to and buy what YOU like and not what anyone else likes. I heard the Edduie Current Balancing act and liked it very much

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #28,453 of 42,298
I'm with DG on some points and some of yours Frank.  I heard the EDBA during a meet and I don't like it myself too.  As much as I like the WA22, DG find it bass light.  it is all personal preference.

As matched tubes rectifier or not, if it is 5-10% off we probably can't tell a differences but once it is 10+%, I bet my money we can start tell tonal imbalance.

Just like camera, is the D800E my end game camera?  probably not as new and better will be releasing.  I always thought lens can't be better anymore, boy I was wrong big time.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #28,454 of 42,298

Which Cavalli? Which one? :) :wink:
Liquid Glass? Oooooooooo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back