Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #24,722 of 42,298
Quote:
@dubstepgirl:) see if I can tempt you to spend more money:wink:[IMG][attach]814322[/attach][/quote]

WA22

[img]http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #24,723 of 42,298
If only I could remember what euphonic really means. For now, I take comfort in knowing that my WA22 is the most of it. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Now that I don't have the EMLs anymore, it's probably my most euphonic rectifier. They are very different but euphonically it's close to a tie. Since I am using the WA22 mostly as a preamp now, I should give it a try with the GECs and my TSRP BG's; I think that would be my most euphonic combo and I do need to see how that would affect the rest of the chain. I'll wait until I get my turntable and Lambdas back from the shops, then it will be listening time!

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #24,726 of 42,298
I have one of those. From memory, it's a very airy sound, highly detailed and euphonic, lots of separation and space to the soundstage but a bit lacking in bass/body for my tastes. I'll have to try it again at some point, if I don't like it any better I will put it in the to be sold pile. It's a very nice tube if you're into that kind of sound, it reminds me of the effect of the GEC 5U4G power tubes to some extent--which I wasn't crazy about either--but some really covet that kind of sound. Come to think of it I should combine the GECs with it and the HD800 to see if I get launched into outer space of something!

Thank you. I decided to put my paws on the EML 5u4gM. But somebody told me that the metal base Philips GZ34 tubes are much better than the EML's. I'm just wondering.....

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #24,727 of 42,298
Quote:
The photographs can be found on-line. The colors are black, silver, red, gold, blue. We have posted a photograph of all of them in a row here before. I'm too lazy to find it again. Jack said he would make me a red W5 LE if I wanted one. Upgrade for extrusion color about $350.00 usd. Gold would be super cool!

a red wa5 le?  too bad i didn't ask but there would be hot

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #24,728 of 42,298
Mar 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #24,729 of 42,298
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #24,732 of 42,298
Quote:
But, it's gonna stand out anyway. Might as well select the absence of colour which is...
popcorn.gif

Once you go black.....................................................................

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #24,734 of 42,298
I put this over in the I-20 thread also: I've been working to suppress stray noise, induced noise, and power supply noise in my WA3+ and noticed a weird phenomena between the I-20 and the Woo. When I touch just the tip of my headphone plug (HD 550) to the ring of the jack on the woo I can hear a faint 'snick' and 120Hz background on the level of bearly perceptible. This is with power off on the Woo. If I disconnect the I-20, it vanishes. It also goes away when I unplug the wall wart for the I-20. I'm assuming this is some sort of ground loop or PS noise from the wart. Tried all kinds of plugology and it persists. The part I found really weird is I can hear it with only one pole of the headphones connected. Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #24,735 of 42,298
My WA3 is the most sensitive and finicky amp I've ever experienced.  I can get ground loop hums if I even touch the table it's sitting on.  If I'm wearing my Fostex orthos, and I move within a few feet of the amp, I get all kinds of crackles and hums.  If I move away, the sounds go away.

It's a strange amp indeed.

Quote:
I put this over in the I-20 thread also: I've been working to suppress stray noise, induced noise, and power supply noise in my WA3+ and noticed a weird phenomena between the I-20 and the Woo. When I touch just the tip of my headphone plug (HD 550) to the ring of the jack on the woo I can hear a faint 'snick' and 120Hz background on the level of bearly perceptible. This is with power off on the Woo. If I disconnect the I-20, it vanishes. It also goes away when I unplug the wall wart for the I-20. I'm assuming this is some sort of ground loop or PS noise from the wart. Tried all kinds of plugology and it persists. The part I found really weird is I can hear it with only one pole of the headphones connected. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back