Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #24,736 of 42,298
What I find with the WA3 is it amplifies what goes in very well. Poor source and cables is readily reflected in the output, as is almost every recording artifact I've never noticed before. In tracking this one with the I-20, I did discover Woo ties signal ground and chassis/earth ground together in the amp. So, it appears the I-20 with its two prong wart and Woo with 3 prong earth have different references. Interesting. I may need to do some web research and see how other mainstream and high end audio manufacturers reference ground. Sounds like a good reason for balanced inputs and outputs. :)
hodgjy said:
.My WA3 is the most sensitive and finicky amp I've ever experienced.  I can get ground loop hums if I even touch the table it's sitting on.  If I'm wearing my Fostex orthos, and I move within a few feet of the amp, I get all kinds of crackles and hums.  If I move away, the sounds go away.

It's a strange amp indeed.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #24,737 of 42,298
This seems like it would explain the ground hum when I touch the table.  Also, my sources into are not grounded, so that may be a contributing factor as well.

Quote:
What I find with the WA3 is it amplifies what goes in very well. Poor source and cables is readily reflected in the output, as is almost every recording artifact I've never noticed before. In tracking this one with the I-20, I did discover Woo ties signal ground and chassis/earth ground together in the amp. So, it appears the I-20 with its two prong wart and Woo with 3 prong earth have different references. Interesting. I may need to do some web research and see how other mainstream and high end audio manufacturers reference ground. Sounds like a good reason for balanced inputs and outputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #24,738 of 42,298
Sounds like that you do not even have a working single grounding point at all. The two prong wart just means that the ground is floating unless it is using Woo earth grounding when connected by cables. Check your ground wire in the Woo power cord and also make sure that the power outlet ground is connected to a earth ground and not tied to the neutral. It is a bit risky to have a tube amp with no ground since a malfunction could put high voltage on the chassis.
I

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #24,739 of 42,298
Could be.  But when I use power strips, all indicate solid grounds.  My WA3 is the only device that gives me problems.  I'll take a closer look into what may be the cause.  I never really looked all that closely into it because it rarely gets used these days.

Thanks for your insight.

Quote:
Sounds like that you do not even have a working single grounding point at all. The two prong wart just means that the ground is floating unless it is using Woo earth grounding when connected by cables. Check your ground wire in the Woo power cord and also make sure that the power outlet ground is connected to a earth ground and not tied to the neutral. It is a bit risky to have a tube amp with no ground since a malfunction could put high voltage on the chassis.
I

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #24,742 of 42,298
If anyone here attends the New York Audio Show next week, please make sure to check out the WooAudio WA234 mono amp. I am very curious about this new amp...

ny_2013_logo.png

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #24,743 of 42,298
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with sending in a Woo Audio amp for repair? Cost & experience with Woo audio repair?

Just got a repair cost back from Woo as they received my Wes. The quote was an extremely reasonable repair cost. Since it's an older build, they're also giving me the option for power supply change and modification of the DC cord which should help the prevent the amp from over-heating.

I'm torn between the two options as the makeover is also reasonably priced at $350+shipping. I just don't want the sound to become altered especially after spending some time with the unit. To repair the blown transistors it would be just $150+shipping.

I'm leaning towards just a straight repair but would like to hear others opinions on whether or not the PSU upgrade would be worth it. Oh and don't use UPS to ship as the unit arrived with some knicks and the power supply knobs effed up during shipment(mainly my fault because of the packing material
tongue_smile.gif
). It's mainly my fault but it's no concern as I don't plan to sit and stare at the device. It's there for listening not looking.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #24,744 of 42,298
^ wow thats a very reasonable cost. good to know if any of my woo amps ever need service i won't end up paying half the cost of a new amp. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #24,745 of 42,298
Quote:
as I don't plan to sit and stare at the device. It's there for listening not looking.

Oh I beg to differ.....Woo amps are meant to be visually admired  WHILE you are listening to them....:)

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #24,747 of 42,298
ha, I saw a post on another forum where someone was complaining that Woo amps don't come with tube guards, so burning yourself on hot tubes is a concern......I kid you not  :)....which would, of course, totally ruin the asthetic qualities of the Woo line...

Hey, sometimes you have to suffer a little to appreciate truly great art! 

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #24,748 of 42,298
Quote:
X2!
Looking at my Woo WA6 SE whilst listening to music makes the experience that much better!
I would hate it if it was just a plain box.

I would find it very difficult to look at your WA6 SE with that beautiful tape deck hovering over it. Now there's a beauty

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #24,749 of 42,298
Quote:
ha, I saw a post on another forum where someone was complaining that Woo amps don't come with tube guards, so burning yourself on hot tubes is a concern......I kid you not  :)....which would, of course, totally ruin the asthetic qualities of the Woo line...

Hey, sometimes you have to suffer a little to appreciate truly great art! 

The lack of tube guards was the first thing that attracted me to Woo Audio.  The exposed tubes are beautiful and retro. 

Why people put tube guards on amps and ruin the looks baffles me.  Or even stranger; putting the tubes completely inside the amp so they are visible only through a window like the Vincent Audio KVH-1.
http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/powerline/khv-1.html

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #24,750 of 42,298
Anyone have any suggestions for a good balanced interconnect that would work well with a WA22?  My budget is around $1000 list for a 1 meter pair which I will probably try to find used for $400-$600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back